It's COLD, but ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old_Salt

Veteran Member
... the early mornings are sure pretty on a clear day.

View from the deck this morning- south across the Strait of Georgia to Northumberland Channel and Nanaimo.

img_2525_0_f1a3e6061f1cf150632eb12097a416cd.jpg

- SSE to Merry Island across Halfmoon Bay.

img_2525_1_c7cbb6051c06a8236be92eaff9b463ec.jpg

-SE beyond Merry Island, picking up Saltspring Island, behind Valdes Island and Galiano Island in the Gulf Islands.

img_2525_2_bad2e5cb83776bee9fdf7929edf8ea43.jpg

Happy New Year, everyone.* Hope you have a great boating year in 2011.

OS

Great pictures, looks like a good day for some winter cruising.

Ditto here on the photos. What a great place to cruise....maybe the best there is?

"What a great place to cruise....maybe the best there is?"

You got my vote, Sea Horse!* I think maybe I'll wander up north again this summer, and see if I can find Eric at home.

OS

Hey there Old Salt - great vista for starting the day with your morning coffee!

Did you used to have Ken Baillie as a neighbour?

... AND the days are short.

Old Salt: *I had to take a couple of deep breaths when seeing those photos. *Can't wait to do some cruising up there.

Old Salt,
I AM going to be cruising too but I hope we meet. If I'm not here see Daina at City Hall.
You know where that is and she will tell you roughly where we've gone. Then give a bark on the VHF every 100 miles or so.
Mark,
The days are short yes but they are getting longer now but only very slowly.

I have lots of pictures, mostly of Alaska that all of you are welcome to view.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=100000197206241
Someone let me know if you achieve easy access. I may need to make an adjustment to my facebook program.
Sorry guys. It looks like you've got to join FB to gain access to my pictures!

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 1st of January 2011 07:48:13 PM

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 2nd of January 2011 04:25:20 PM

I can't believe you guys can actually cruise in the NW this time of year. In the Northeast we have lots of snow, wind, and low temps.* Add rough seas and ice jammed harbors, shut down marinas, you get the picture.* You folks in the NW are lucky and it looks beautiful too.

JEALOUS!

December in New Jersey

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 1st of January 2011 08:35:56 PM

Attachments

• dsc03394.jpg
    dsc03394.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 82
  • dsc03398.jpg
    dsc03398.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 86
Icebergs in summer

Yes, ... Alaska!* Isn't it a wonder!

232323232%7Ffp537%3C8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B88%3B336nu0mrj

(Endicott Arm, late summer, 2010)

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 2nd of January 2011 12:17:39 AM

John P,
I see the ice in your harbor. We don't go anywhere when there's that much ice. We were frozen solid in 3" of solid ice 3 or 4 yrs ago but it's been mild since. No I didn't walk on it.

Mark,
Did you check out Ford's Terror? Beautiful spot.

Sorry my Face Book live link a few posts ago won't take you to my pictures on my FB page. They say you need to join. It's free and there's no downside to it but some don't like the idea.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 2nd of January 2011 04:33:02 PM

... the early evenings can be nice on a clear day as well.

Sunset on New Year's Day 2011 from the deck in Halfmoon Bay on the north shore of the Strait of Georgia.* The view is directly south, and about 20-22 nm to Nanaimo and Vancouver Island.

img_35682_0_c7759d69b502aed4cb57efa406edce5a.jpg

OS

Old Salt,
Great picture OS. We really like Nanaimo. Like a certain restaurant so much we go there every time. Don't remember it's name. Here we are in Nanaimo.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 153.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 153.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 83
nomadwilly wrote:

Did you check out Ford's Terror? Beautiful spot.

That spot tickled my curiosity as we passed by four times (twice each on two separate voyages).* Unfortunately, the 900+ foot-long ships I was on*were presumably*too big and had schedules to keep.

There is a good chance this boat, pictured in Endicott Arm, visited Ford's Terror.* With a moniker like that, who wouldn't be curious?

232323232%7Ffp53837%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B893336nu0mrj

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 3rd of January 2011 04:34:54 PM

You guys are killing me.* Maybe this will warm you up.

Larry/Lena
Zihuatanejo, MX

-- Edited by Larry M on Monday 3rd of January 2011 04:56:50 PM

Attachments

• picture 073.jpg
    picture 073.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 68
We saw someone heading south (to FL I hope) this past week. It was blowing really hard from the North so he gave up on the anchorage here at Barnegat Light NJ and ended up spending the night anchored in the middle of Barnegat Inlet where the only protection offered is from a north wind. I woke up and saw him in the morning - he was in clear water and the outgoing tide was dragging two solid flows of ice around him. Luckily he was in the clear water in the middle. As JohnP said, not a time to be boating in NJ!

Dave

Just in case you guys think we have life easy here in the NW here's a couple of pictures taken this morning in Brentwood Bay (near Victoria BC).* There is about an inch of ice well out into the bay, A layer of freshwater frozen on top of salt I believe.**The commute's*proving*a bit challenging for those living aboard their boats on mooring buoys.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 73
We*has not seen the same amount of snow this winter as Central Europe has. On other hand, it has been BITTERLY COLD. We have seen temps at around 0F most of December.

Attachments

• 2010-12-28 15.04.04-r.jpg
    2010-12-28 15.04.04-r.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 2010-12-28 15.04.14-r.jpg
    2010-12-28 15.04.14-r.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2010-12-28 15.04.38-r.jpg
    2010-12-28 15.04.38-r.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2010-12-28 15.05.25-r.jpg
    2010-12-28 15.05.25-r.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2010-12-28 15.08.07-r.jpg
    2010-12-28 15.08.07-r.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
Doug

The shallow water near Brentwood Bay seems to lend itself*to freezing from time to time. Around the corner at Van Isle, we are holding about 47 degree water temps. I trust you have a good heater.

magicbus wrote:

We saw someone heading south (to FL I hope) this past week. It was blowing really hard from the North so he gave up on the anchorage here at Barnegat Light NJ and ended up spending the night anchored in the middle of Barnegat Inlet where the only protection offered is from a north wind. I woke up and saw him in the morning - he was in clear water and the outgoing tide was dragging two solid flows of ice around him. Luckily he was in the clear water in the middle. As JohnP said, not a time to be boating in NJ!

Dave
I can't imagine anyone heading South this late.*They either have to really know what they or doing or they are asking for some very difficult times ahead.* Dave, Your boat looks awesome, she is a bit deep drafted for Barnegat Bay but I am sure your cruising ambitions are more far reaching.*Have a great time with your new ship. JEP

JohnP wrote:Dave, Your boat looks awesome, she is a bit deep drafted for Barnegat Bay but I am sure your cruising ambitions are more far reaching.*Have a great time with your new ship. JEP
Thanks John - we will keep her right at the inlet and the only time she will spend in the bay is to cross to Waretown for her winter haul for a couple of years before we retire and start cruising year-round. *Even that trip will be on a rising tide!

magicbus wrote:

JohnP wrote:Dave, Your boat looks awesome, she is a bit deep drafted for Barnegat Bay but I am sure your cruising ambitions are more far reaching.*Have a great time with your new ship. JEP
Thanks John - we will keep her right at the inlet and the only time she will spend in the bay is to cross to Waretown for her winter haul for a couple of years before we retire and start cruising year-round. *Even that trip will be on a rising tide!
Dave,* Have you thought about winter storage in the upper Chesapeake area.* Nice place to visit on early Spring Weekends.**Also a good excuse for a short fall cruise.**** JEP

JohnP wrote:

Dave,* Have you thought about winter storage in the upper Chesapeake area.* Nice place to visit on early Spring Weekends.**Also a good excuse for a short fall cruise.**** JEP
I like to do as much work myself as I am able and right now it is killing me to have the boat stored out of state. *I have a great guy that helped me do the winter storage and is doing the over-the-winter work I should be doing, but having it on the mainland just across the bay from home is better than even the top of the Chesapeake, which is still a couple of hours.

Dave

Conrad:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have not met a "Ken Baillie" in the 16 years we have lived in Halfmoon Bay, but the phone book lists a "David Baillie" on Redrooffs (that's the correct spelling!* Go figure!) Road in Halfmoon Bay.*

That's the best I can do.

OS

Thanks Old Salt. Ken retired to that area about 25 years ago but passed away some time ago, so perhaps David is a relation. Thanks for following up - I thought it might have been one of those "small world" things!

Thought*I would go for a boat ride.

*But it took to long to uncover it.

Last year we got 286 inches of this stuff.***

Wish I knew what it was.

Wait I think Oscar the Otter should know I'll ask him.* He hangs out on the docks all winter long.*
Have you ever seen the dropings from an otter it is mostly broken shells.
Hurts just looking at it*

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 08:06:56 PM

Attachments

• 100_0603.jpg
    100_0603.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 71
  • fishing 093.jpg
    fishing 093.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 73
skipperdude wrote:
Thought*I would go for a boat ride.

But it took to long to uncover it.

Last year we got 286 inches of this stuff.***

Wish I knew what it was.

Wait I think Oscar the Otter should know I'll ask him.* He hangs out on the docks all winter long.*
Have you ever seen the dropings from an otter it is mostly broken shells.
Hurts just looking at it*

SD
-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 08:06:56 PM
SkipperYou really should trim that mustache before going out in public. And, do you have any photos of the otter? *
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom