Thoughts on FHB Golden Star Sundeck Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Powered by TheYachtMarket

Link above, I'm chancing someone stealing it out from under me :whistling:

This boat is actually one of our work clients fathers boats. He bought it new, had the interior custom ordered, and spent 12 years puttering around the Americas. He made it to Smithfield, parked it, and took off again in an RV. He has someone put it in the water once a year to make sure everything works. It has been languishing for sale for a long time. I remember seeing it on YW at least a year ago, if not longer. ~3000 hrs twin Perkins 6.3544M. What kind of gph could one expect? How bad is maintenance?

Still in the early planning stages myself, haven't really nailed down any particular type of boat. . .but it's not that far away, I think I might check it out just for craps and giggles. Gotta start somewhere, right?

It could be a diamond in the rough? What should I keep my eyes out for? Opinions on Brand?

cant tell about mold and any leaking windows but you should go see. Looks like it needs a good cleaning but a great price.

I see a number of Fu Hua similarities to mine. I think my '85 has a pretty solid hull overall.

Price may look good, but I see what looks from a distance as maybe leaking iron tanks. Add $20K+ for pulling / refreshing engines and putting in new tanks.

4D is a bit light for House battery. And that old blue batt charger caused me grief.

She probably needs another $15-20K in overall clean up and updating, I would guess. Likely a lot of things are near worn out and need replacing - mine did. Check main bearings in Windlass, and all Zincs.

If you don't mind a Project for a couple of years getting started, she looks like a nice boat that will serve you well for a long time - quite spacious, nice conveniences and solid. Perkins should be economical.

It`s not like they are hiding anything. I sense a musty smell just looking at the pics. Has to be worth an inspection.

I'd take the can of red spray paint way from the owner or his rep. Painting the fuel filters maybe a red flag? :)

Good eye! I figure its pretty musty in there. . .no AC or dehumidifier noted or seen in a picture. . .closed up for that long :nonono: 12 years living on it. . .12 years of sweat and dead skin cells in the fabric and carpet and cushions . . .

I imagine it would need to be gone thru like you would a foreclosed house. Just tear it all out to bare walls and floor. New flooring, cushions, curtains, bedding. . .

Multi year project. . .been there, still working on mine :facepalm: Though, mine has structural defects and mechanical issues that were over looked until after the fact, lol. . .lots of down time. Updates and cosmetic I can handle, as long as I can enjoy the boat.

Not totally sold on a big project yet though. I'll chalk a visit up to a learning experience regardless. . .give the guy a call and see how it all goes! This would be the first boat I get to check out in the size range I'm pondering. . .

I'll keep an eye out for fresh red paint!

Sure someone went berserk with spray paint and the filters took a hit, but they protected the electricals and hoses.
You are right about the clean up, it`s like a condo where an elderly owner who was beyond taking proper care dies and it comes for sale. And right to take a look.

I imagine it would need to be gone thru like you would a foreclosed house. Just tear it all out to bare walls and floor. New flooring, cushions, curtains, bedding. . .

I doubt you'd need to be quite that drastic. I remember when I first saw the old externally rusted hot water cylinder in our boat I said, "right, that'll be the first to go". Actually it worked, and plenty of other stuff needed attention first. Your life does not depend on hot water cylinders appearances, or furnishings, for that matter. I finally put in a new cylinder about 7 years later.

She looks to be in a lot better condition than my boat when we got her. She is what she is, and sure there's work to be done. But the basics look quite good. For a good price, and if you are prepared and capable of doing stuff, could be a good buy in my view.

Miserable drive. . .traffic on 64. . .I, I just don't understand why? No accidents, no merging. . .just stop and go. . .speed limits 70 past Bush Gardens! People, just drive! For Petes sake. . .and tunnel traffic, oh I almost cried in frustration :facepalm: Again, no reason to be stopped. . .

Anyways, apparently the pictures in the add are a couple years old. That was after he painted the decks. Oh how pictures lie :nonono:

The boat itself seemed solid. Only soft spot I could find was around the windlass. Everywhere else was solid as a rock. Gelcoat was faded, as was the new paint. All stanchions were solid. Teak window frames need a lot of work. The teak side entry door is trash. Fly bridge wheel is loose. No canvas.

Inside was 120 degrees. after about 15 minutes i looked like someone hit me with a hose. It smelled like it hadn't been opened up in a long time. Musty sour smell, with a hint of vinegar. . .especially in cabinets. Most of the windows and port lights leaked, and have been for awhile. Not waterfall leaks, but the brown stains of drips and runs. Whatever plywood lined the inside of the hull sides and cabin sides is deteriorated. Rotten around some of the windows, but mostly the humidity and heat has destroyed most of it. . .and most of everything else. Glued trim and vynil in the bathroom is falling off, carpet is a solid mat, bed is trash. What I thought was vynil coming off the walls was actually the painted veneer of the plywood separating. . .

In the engine room, it didn't smell like anything was leaking. I didn't see any water in the bilge. The tanks looks like they are made of fiberglass. All the hoses are old. Thru hulls are a mix of tapered cone and ball valve. The ones I could reach were inoperable. Generator was removed because it didn't work :facepalm: I was not able to get into any of the electrical panels.

The broker said that at this point, the owner would probably take $15000. From what I saw, you're buying 2 engines and a shell. And that's assuming the engines run as well as they look. It looks like a good set of bones to resurrect from the dead. . .but currently I have neither the motivation or ambition to take on a huge project like this. And, after the complaining I make my family listen too about my current boat, they might have me committed if I showed up with this :whistling:

I really do enjoy boat projects, but after what I've gone thru with my sailboat, I'd rather buy into something a bit more turn-key.

Quick summary of big dollar items I noted that needed remedying:
-Missing Generator
-Needs all 4 cutless bearings
-Rebuild/rebed/restore/replace all windows/portlights
-Missing Fridge
-No Air Conditioning :eek:
-No canvass. No sundeck canvass framing
-No Cappuccino machine
-Interior stripped and redone.

Now, this wasn't a waste of a trip by no means. This is the first Aft cabin MY in my size range I've been to in person. I must say, that is a LOT of boat! The sundeck was as big or bigger than some homes backyard decks I've been too. The salon was cavernous compared to my sailboat. The galley, huge. The rear cabins island bed and full bath, muy bueno :dance:

I can definitely see myself living on a boat like this, and having family and friends over in style :socool:

PS. I can post some pictures if you want

Nice Hull

Cool Beans- that is an almost dead ringer for a Present 42- built in the Chung Hwa yard. Ours has the rear hardtop. If you liked the general layout- you might want to look at a Present 42.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom