Trawler owners with Sailing history.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Wondering how many trawler owners have owned sailboats in the past.* I have had more sailboats than powerboats but lately have been bouncing between power and sail.* I like them both, but appreciate the ease of power cruising.** I suppose for me if fuel ends up between 5 and 10 dollars per gallon my next boat will be Sail.* It is pretty easy to motor a sailboat but a lot harder to operate a trawler without using the engine.** Curious* JohnP

JohnP
IG32 #25** "Adagio"
Toms River** New Jersey

Well, we have both, though we have been solely sail in the distant past. We use the trawler as a "summer cottage" that's movable (if fuel is relatively less expensive, we move it more often and farther) and when we just hang out on it on the mooring in our home harbor, we go sailing if the breeze beckons.

Hi John
We have been paddle, power, power, power, sail, sail and now our PT38 Sedan. Just happy to be on the water. Our closest friends are sail, a Beneteau 411 and we both power at almost the same speed. Wife is definitely happier with power and thats what counts.

We have only recently sold our sailing yacht and are in the process of having a trawler constructed. Our plans still*include extensive cruising and the only change I could envisage is maybe a few miles less each year but*fuel is not the biggest percentage of our overall costs.

I had a sailboat in my single days because they are chick magnets. Way more so than any power boat.

In those days my best friend was an astronaut who drove a corvette and had a inboard ski/drag boat with an Olds 88 engine. I had an Ericson 27' sailboat. Every other weekend we would ski or sail and whoever was furnishing the boat had to furnish the ladies. The sailboat usually had better luck except for the time when a racehorse quality woman showed up for a ski weekend on her Honda crotch rocket. They got married.

John,* I currently own a sailboat and have been sailing for roughly 35 yrs.* I love sailing, it's in my blood.* When*I see a sailboat gliding or charging across the water, with sails neatly trimmed, it brings a smile to my face.* However, this summer I plan on buying a trawler.* About ten yrs ago I was cruising the San Juan Islands with my son. We had trailered our sailboat up from California. We had a wonderful time, but I remember saying to him that if we were to do this trip again, that we would charter a trawler and do it*in comfort.* Now that*I am getting ready to retire (love the sound of that), *I realize that handling a 40 45 ft sailboat by myself would be quite a chore, even if she was rigged for single-handed operation ( even with roller- furling). *I look at the interior space of a comparable size trawler, the*idea of not having to beat to weather to get where I'm going when it's blowing like snot,*and quite a few other factors, all convince me that a trawler is the way to go.* According to one of our senior members, the price of fuel should not be that much of an overall factor in owning a trawler.* Besides, where else can you "hang out" with such a nice bunch of folks like you can*on this forum?*** KJ
ps* I plan on keeping my 22ft pocket cruiser (sloop) when I buy the trawler.

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:11 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:34 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:14:06 PM

3 sailboats...2 powerboats.

p,s,s,p. not counting tenders, of course, as those are changeable.

John Baker,

I rest my case.*
biggrin.gif

My husband and I met through sailing and he had a sailboat at that time.* We have since owned three other sailboats.* We were part of a partnership on*a sailboat we took to Hawaii*from SF in July and we wanted our own boat again after that trip was over.* We switched to power because unless we were racing the sailboat we were usually motoring trying to get to a destination that was too far / the wrong way to realistically sail to in the time we had.* We have plenty of friends with sailboats so we can always go sailing or racing if we want...* We've been cruising the new boat like mad and we*are heading out Friday for a four day new years trip.**We both enjoy being on the*water so are happy*sailing or motoring but MAN do we love the space on the trawler.* Our 35' trawler lives so much larger than the 42' sailboat we had prior.**We*really love it.*

I got into boating for the same reason!!!!...among all of the other ones as well. I honestly don't think the type of boat has any impact on the opposite sex. Girls just like being on boats.... recent pics on the current PB....

Attachments

• girls.jpg
    girls.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 75
  • candj.jpg
    candj.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 103
All of my "hands on" boating experience (not counting oars or paddles) has been on auxiliary, displacement,*mono-hull*sailboats.* I'm having a two-sail, fore-and-aft staysail rig on the Coot to keep me busy if I become bored on the trawler.

For the last few years, my boating has been limited to cruise ships.

img_35188_0_137603c8a76890b435c995de0f7a48fa.jpg

(After initiation, having past Cape Horn.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 07:22:14 PM

My Dad and I owned a Lightning, then a Gulf Coast 23, both trailerable centerboard models back in the 70s and 80 we really enjoyed it. The problem was, here in Louisiana we seem to have violent thunderstorms full of lightning, followed by hours of dead calm. Spent years fishing from outboards then got the trawler bug, owned a Camano 31 for 4 years then on to the Monk 36. I really enjoy seeing a nice sailboat out on the water and meeting sailors along the way.
Steve W.

What got me into trawlers and out of sail is the "cave effect" you get when down below on a sailboat...or an express cruiser(like my current boat). I didn't have the means then or now to get a deck salon type of sailboat to get out of the "cave".

dwhatty wrote:

Well, we have both, though we have been solely sail in the distant past. We use the trawler as a "summer cottage" that's movable (if fuel is relatively less expensive, we move it more often and farther) and when we just hang out on it on the mooring in our home harbor, we go sailing if the breeze beckons.
Wow, This is a great idea. Years ago I had an Eddy&Duff Stonehorse a 23' Cutter designed in the 30's by Sam Crooker.* The best sailing boat I ever owned. Very seaworthy but too small to seriously cruise more than a few days. Be cool to have one for daysailing and keep "Adagio"*as our home away from home.***Happy New Year*** John and Miri**- "Adagio"

rochepoint wrote:

Hi John
We have been paddle, power, power, power, sail, sail and now our PT38 Sedan. Just happy to be on the water. Our closest friends are sail, a Beneteau 411 and we both power at almost the same speed. Wife is definitely happier with power and thats what counts.
Hi,* Seems switching from power to sail and back a few times is not so unique.** My wife does like the big picture window views in the salon of our trawler. Also the comfort of indoor steering makes bad weather less of an issue.

Happy New Year******* John and Miri***** "Adagio"*

I have come full circle...
I started in c class runabout racing... moved up to flat bottom drag boats...
then to ski boats...and day cruisers... then to a sucession of sailboats that the last one we sailed across the Pacific.
When we moved to Washington we sold the snail boat and moved to a GB36... then to Volunteer.. two trawlers!... now we are into a 45' sea ray express, with plans to move back to sail in a few years on either a 45' mono hull or a 42'+ cat... my how times change!..after we sail for a few years and want to " slow down" again we will undoubtedly be back on a trawler.. My wife explains it all by pointing to the name boards of a number of the boats we had... all named " Restless"
HOLLYWOOD

Navigator wrote:

We have only recently sold our sailing yacht and are in the process of having a trawler constructed. Our plans still*include extensive cruising and the only change I could envisage is maybe a few miles less each year but*fuel is not the biggest percentage of our overall costs.

I think you are correct about fuel being only a small part of overall costs.
That is a beautiful yacht you are building.***

Happy New Year************ John and Miri******** "Adagio"

Hey Hollywood, I think it is called an "affliction"!!!!....
smile.gif

Doc wrote:

I had a sailboat in my single days because they are chick magnets. Way more so than any power boat.

In those days my best friend was an astronaut who drove a corvette and had a inboard ski/drag boat with an Olds 88 engine. I had an Ericson 27' sailboat. Every other weekend we would ski or sail and whoever was furnishing the boat had to furnish the ladies. The sailboat usually had better luck except for the time when a racehorse quality woman showed up for a ski weekend on her Honda crotch rocket. They got married.

Hey Doc,* Maybe it was you and not the Ericson?** Thats why we call em the Good Old Days!!

Happy New Year** John and Miri*** "Adagio"

KJ wrote:

John,* I currently own a sailboat and have been sailing for roughly 35 yrs.* I love sailing, it's in my blood.* When*I see a sailboat gliding or charging across the water, with sails neatly trimmed, it brings a smile to my face.* However, this summer I plan on buying a trawler.* About ten yrs ago I was cruising the San Juan Islands with my son. We had trailered our sailboat up from California. We had a wonderful time, but I remember saying to him that if we were to do this trip again, that we would charter a trawler and do it*in comfort.* Now that*I am getting ready to retire (love the sound of that), *I realize that handling a 40 45 ft sailboat by myself would be quite a chore, even if she was rigged for single-handed operation ( even with roller- furling). *I look at the interior space of a comparable size trawler, the*idea of not having to beat to weather to get where I'm going when it's blowing like snot,*and quite a few other factors, all convince me that a trawler is the way to go.* According to one of our senior members, the price of fuel should not be that much of an overall factor in owning a trawler.* Besides, where else can you "hang out" with such a nice bunch of folks like you can*on this forum?*** KJ
ps* I plan on keeping my 22ft pocket cruiser (sloop) when I buy the trawler.

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:11 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:10:34 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 05:14:06 PM
KJ,** Sounds like a man with a plan.** A trawler and a sailboat- as you say its "in my blood".

Happy New Year****** John and Miri**** "Adagio"** +*** ?

koliver wrote:

p,s,s,p. not counting tenders, of course, as those are changeable.

Seems a lot of trawler folks had sailboats!!

Happy New Year*** John and Miri*** "Adagio"

Pineapple Girl wrote:

My husband and I met through sailing and he had a sailboat at that time.* We have since owned three other sailboats.* We were part of a partnership on*a sailboat we took to Hawaii*from SF in July and we wanted our own boat again after that trip was over.* We switched to power because unless we were racing the sailboat we were usually motoring trying to get to a destination that was too far / the wrong way to realistically sail to in the time we had.* We have plenty of friends with sailboats so we can always go sailing or racing if we want...* We've been cruising the new boat like mad and we*are heading out Friday for a four day new years trip.**We both enjoy being on the*water so are happy*sailing or motoring but MAN do we love the space on the trawler.* Our 35' trawler lives so much larger than the 42' sailboat we had prior.**We*really love it.*

Jennifer,** Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.* You are so right about the liveable space on a trawler.* We still are in awe of the great views from the salon windows that you could only see if you were out in the cockpit of a sailboat.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri*** "Adagio"

Baker wrote:

I got into boating for the same reason!!!!...among all of the other ones as well. I honestly don't think the type of boat has any impact on the opposite sex. Girls just like being on boats.... recent pics on the current PB....
And a fine reason it is!!!

Happy New Year***** John and Miri*** "Adagio"

markpierce wrote:

All of my "hands on" boating experience (not counting oars or paddles) has been on auxiliary, displacement,*mono-hull*sailboats.* I'm having a two-sail, fore-and-aft staysail rig on the Coot to keep me busy if I become bored on the trawler.

Great idea!*** Our IslandGypsy has what we call a powerboat mast.* A streamlined centerpiece to hold the radar and stuff.* Kind of wish*we had one with the steading sail, mast and boom setup. Must be nice to put a boat together just the way you want.

Happy New Year**** John and Miri**** "Adagio"

For the last few years, my boating has been limited to cruise ships.

img_35211_0_137603c8a76890b435c995de0f7a48fa.jpg

(After initiation, having past Cape Horn.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 07:22:14 PM

Mike wrote:

I've owned a lot of boats over the years, sail and power.

Want to have fun on the water for a afternoon? Sail wins hands down.

Want to go somewhere, cruise, and spend months on the boat? Power.

I'll keep my DeFever.

We do own a Zuma though,* and sail her around the lagoon when it's warm enough. Great fun when she gets up on plane, something my DeFever will never do

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
Mike,* I am begining to think a small sailboat for fun is the way to go.* Trawlers are a lot more practical for comfort.

Happy New Year******** John and Miri**** "Adagio"

Steve wrote:

My Dad and I owned a Lightning, then a Gulf Coast 23, both trailerable centerboard models back in the 70s and 80 we really enjoyed it. The problem was, here in Louisiana we seem to have violent thunderstorms full of lightning, followed by hours of dead calm. Spent years fishing from outboards then got the trawler bug, owned a Camano 31 for 4 years then on to the Monk 36. I really enjoy seeing a nice sailboat out on the water and meeting sailors along the way.
Steve W.
Steve,* You are right it is easy to discount how much the weather can effect a sailboat, while we are all snug behind pilothouse windows.

Happy New Year***** John and Miri* "Adagio"

Baker wrote:

What got me into trawlers and out of sail is the "cave effect" you get when down below on a sailboat...or an express cruiser(like my current boat). I didn't have the means then or now to get a deck salon type of sailboat to get out of the "cave".
John,** The picture window view from our trawler is one of the best things about it and it can be something different all the time.

Happy New Year****** John and* Miri****** "Adagio"

hollywood8118 wrote:

I have come full circle...
I started in c class runabout racing... moved up to flat bottom drag boats...
then to ski boats...and day cruisers... then to a sucession of sailboats that the last one we sailed across the Pacific.
When we moved to Washington we sold the snail boat and moved to a GB36... then to Volunteer.. two trawlers!... now we are into a 45' sea ray express, with plans to move back to sail in a few years on either a 45' mono hull or a 42'+ cat... my how times change!..after we sail for a few years and want to " slow down" again we will undoubtedly be back on a trawler.. My wife explains it all by pointing to the name boards of a number of the boats we had... all named " Restless"
HOLLYWOO

"Restless"*** Indeed,* but what a great life.**I now see it is all about being out on the water, not the type of boat.

Happy New Year******* John and Miri**** "Adagio"

My kids and I are BIG saliors!! We still own our sailboat, Little Sunshine, in addition to our trawler. Here are a few pics of our sailing vessel- we LOVE it!

img_35230_0_fcc5306e1342d4ac5a7673d3ddde6135.jpg

img_35230_1_eca70318397f6737ef32f7fa9230196e.jpg

img_35230_2_d87b4b3840adfe23a56f4a041d6e7ede.jpg

Like I said, and as you can tell from the pics, we are big sailors and accustomed to some of the largest sailing vessels available in the world! *
smile.gif
As you can see from the pics (a few years old right now), I was heavily into my/our Pirate phase, thus the larger beard! *
smile.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Wednesday 29th of December 2010 09:41:21 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom