Living on a Trunk Cabin Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Something in the 36-40 foot range. On paper they have a lot of the items I would look for in a nice live aboard. Most are single diesel with some kind of thruster, good tankage, lots of counter space, fullsize fridge, fairly roomy aft cabin, nice sized shower, etc. . .they check off a lot of functionality items for me.

A few big "cons" for me though. Biggest is the built in furniture AND the galley in the salon. I can see it being fine or even a plus for cruisers/weekenders. But, does it get old or bothersome to be basically living in your kitchen? Is there anything you've done to fix this? Or do you get used to it?

Also with the built in furniture. . .that's a big negative for me in my sailboat. I long for a chair, lol. Especially one that moves! Has anyone ever knocked out the seat(s) and put in a love seat and recliner? Or other?

And finally, how about that cabin top space? Looks like a lot of it. . .how useful is it? Is it even close to the convenience of an aft deck? I just see it being trouble carrying a plate of hot food and beer topside having to walk around the deck then up several sets of steps :nonono:

Thanks!

I live on a Present 38 foot with galley up. Have a 36" TV, no built in furniture but two stressless recliners. The galley is not an issue. Looking at it now, not offended.

We entertain on the huge bridge. There are 2staterooms, rear queen and large v berth forward, 2 heads. no dining room but on the bridge...works great for us.

Galley location varies from boat to boat. Ours is down, with a dinette opposite, which I like. First Mate wishes it was up. Go figure. I took the helm seat out of the salon and put my small swivel rocker there. Also built a settee with storage space. It works for us.

Attachments

• saloon1.jpg
    saloon1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 192
  • saloon3.jpg
    saloon3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 177
A trunk-cabin boat, that is, one with a walkaround deck, is essential to me. The advantage of built-in furniture rather than loose means it's secure in rough waters. I wanted a boat and not a floating house. Prefer the helm position separate from the hubbub of the galley and saloon. So, I've paid little attention to the type of boat you're searching for. :flowers: Good hunting!

On a trunk cabin boat with no more than 3 steps to any level including the flying bridge to me was a good idea....you can set stuff down, go up the level and pick it up...no 8 foot ladder to negotioate...the Europe's with steps are better but still 8 feet of steps carrying stuff.

Galley down for me as a liveaboard. Works well on the Albin 40...not necessarily on all vessels.

I dissed a lot of better mare vessels because of the layout, living aboard is a whole different animal than visiting her. Like dating versus getting married.

Yeah, climbing a ladder is bad enough while at dock; horrible to contemplate in rough waters. (A senior-citizen's opinion.)

Yeah, I really like the idea of the Europa/sedan boats and that upper deck looks like a great place to have a cook out, but that ladder :facepalm:

The only boat I'm considering with a ladder, and also the smallest so far, is a classic Mainship 34. At least it has a descent cockpit that is at salon level. Room for grilling and a couple partiers to let loose over the side :nonono: Looks good in pictures, haven't seen one in person yet.

psneeld, I didn't know galley down was an option on any of the classic tiawanese trunk cabins @ 40 ft? I've only seen them on a few 44ft Albins and Marine traders. . .were they common or is yours custom?

Appreciate all the comments and insight and pics, keep it coming!

Yes, one of the reasons I settled for an Albin.

I always thought if I couldn't afford one of the bigger trawlers and went with a 36, I would rip out the galley up and convert the vee berth to a galley. Having a comfy pullout in the saloon for guest berthing.

My flying bridge is just as nice for group gatherings as a Europa's....and it is a bit lower so handing stuff up from the main deck is easier...but the trunk cabin top is like a landing in a stairwell...it is less daunting for the older or less stable, a place at a conformable height to set things down.

Some of the newer Europa's have steps versus ladders, a huge improvement in many people's minds.

While covered side decks and cockpit are nice, I can live without the for the other trade offs.

Would have loved a pilothouse style...but for a 40 footer (actually a small 39 is a better description for the Albin 40) worked out better for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Any pictures of a v-berth galley conversion? If you're already losing the forward state room, I wonder how hard it would be to put a washer/dryer into the forward head?

When underway, it's more likely there is greater boat motion toward the bow compared to the boat's center.

Yeah, I really like the idea of the Europa/sedan boats and that upper deck looks like a great place to have a cook out, but that ladder :facepalm:

The only boat I'm considering with a ladder, and also the smallest so far, is a classic Mainship 34. At least it has a descent cockpit that is at salon level. Room for grilling and a couple partiers to let loose over the side :nonono: Looks good in pictures, haven't seen one in person yet.

We had a Mainship 34 Mk III. Good boat.

It's theoretically possible to replace the ladder with a circular staircase. That would be a trade-off with cockpit space, but easier entertaining (or just hanging out) on the bridge could be the other side of that coin.

-Chris

"But, does it get old or bothersome to be basically living in your kitchen? Is there anything you've done to fix this?"

Clean / clear the galley at the end of every meal.

Its going to be done anyway , so why live with a mess?

I had a 78 Mainship 1 for 14 years, and now a Albin 40 trunk cabin for 8 years.
Our Albin has a completely open layout in the salon and galley down as described above. With a 13'8" beam it is plenty wide in the aft cabin.
I think as a live aboard a sundeck model would be better. However we travel and use our boat a lot so we like the walk around side decks. We have done hundreds of locks and stop at lots of docks and canal walls when we travel and can do it all ourselves without help.

I could see changing the Mainship ladder to a set of steps, but the ladder was not a problem even in rough seas as there is lots to hold on to in a model 1 (extended flybridge).

Same experience. Had a MS34 MK II. Awesome day and weekender boat. Too cramped for me and the Commodore. Moved up to a MS 40 DC with twin Detroits. Loving every minute of it. We live on it.

Good point FF :facepalm:

There's a 36ft grand banks that's a bit out of my price range but local I might go check out. I feel kind of bad wasting the other persons time, but how else do you get to check out these boats?

Based on the first words out of every transient marina dockmaster's mouth..."the best restaurants around here are....." or how often TFers grill at anchor...who the heck even needs a galley...:D

Based on the first words out of every transient marina dockmaster's mouth..."the best restaurants around here are....." or how often TFers grill at anchor...who the heck even needs a galley...:D

:thumb::thumb:

I doubt my next boat will have what most consider to be a "full galley"

Nice galley is a requirement for me. . .I lift weights and dieting, so 98% of what I eat is prepared :thumb:

Going out to eat to often is the reason I'm exercising and dieting :whistling:

Have a Jefferson 45 motoryacth/trawler. Sun deck model with queen aft cabin,large salon,Gally down with house size refrg/icemaker.forward berth with two heads aft has full shower. Salon has two recliners 40 flat screen tv,.as well as foldout love seat,which is not used. Aft deck give plenty of entertainment area with fly bridge plenty of seating also.14 ft beam so plenty of space to get around when docking. Twin Perkins so 6-9 knots are the cruising speed. Plenty of tankage,and engine room is comfortable to work in. Its a 6-4-2 type of boat. 6 on a day cruise, 4 for dinner 2 for overnight.

Back
Top Bottom