Pilothouse Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Need some suggestions for boats to look for.

Ok, so I'm looking for a sedan or a pilothouse trawler. My budgets is <$150,000; need to be able to cruise solo; and think I want to be between 34' and 45'. Seen lots of sedans that are doable, but still looking.

Then I started looking hard at the 42' Krogens. Really like them, but the 2 that I have seen in (near) my price range have been project boats (bottom jobs or exterior cosmetic nightmares). Like the pictures that I have seen of the Willards, but I'm on the wrong coast for the few in my size range. Saw a Transpac Eagle 32 that I liked but am afraid it's to small. Really liked it's big brother (Eagle 40), but there out of my price range.

So, what pilothouse trawlers am I missing? Would like to be around 40', fiberglass, preferably single screw, and hopefully minimal exterior wood.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Ted

So where are you located and what kind of cruising water?* Do you need a blue water boat?* What kind of bottom and/or exterior nightmares do they have?* I would be concerned about there condition of the engines/running gear/hull and superstructure as the rest is surface/cosmetic stuff.

When my wife bought the Eagle I was hoping it had some major issues as it was ulgy/shippy/commercial/not pretty*but the engine/running gear/supper structure were good/sound with a few areas that we fix over time.*

Under 45 ft you can have trucked so you are not limited*to area.*****

The wider your geographic location, the more choices you will have. Your profile indicates you can "look" at the entire East coast and Texas too. I'd betcha you'd*have over one thousand good boats to choose from. So buy a spare pair of shoes, and start walking the docks and talk to the brokers.

You will hear all sorts of name brands to consider, but on a vessel more than 20 years old condition is the number one factor. Look at vessels approaching $250K. You may well negotiate down by 30% to your $150 K range. Make up a spread sheet for ranking the vessels.

You may well consider an aft cabin model too, this opens up some more choices such as Ocean Alexander, Monk 36 and DeFever. Any vessel with covered side decks is good, less chance of rain intrusion into windows. Carefully consider teak decks - they can leak leading to all sorts of smell and other more serious issues.

Avoid boats with Detroit Diesels, one that has been sunk, cored bottoms, major interior water stains, rusty fuel tanks, fouled bottom, bent props, worn out zincs, dirty engine room,* major oil drips,*non working AC and*too many non working instruments.
You said you're not interested in a project boat* - dont' waste your time on guys who say " it needs a few things." Few becomes*many.*

This could prove to be your most educational trip - enjoy it.

I don't know.
* Teak decks and there is a lot of wood to work on.

Looks good otherwise.

SD

Ok, some more information:

I'm in Maryland and Florida, was looking at the whole East coast including the Gulf. Was assuming (maybe wrong) that the cost if even doable to truck a 13'+ beam trawler across the USA would be a deal breaker. Have been looking online for several years and was leaning toward a sedan trawler (covered side decks) to have back and side decks while reducing issues with window leaks. My strengths mechanical, electrical, and plumbing. Fiberglass repair, painting, and external wood repair / refinishing I will have to pay someone else to do. Know it sounds hard to believe, but I would rather do a repower (have done 2) than deal with leaking teak decks or windows.

Have looked at 2 KK42s and talked to several owners. It seems that the early / to mid '80s models have a significant likely hood of needing there hulls peeled and reglassed. Know of 4 that have been done so far. Worried about the teak decks. Saw 2 online that had the teak pulled and decks glassed. So I'm leary on the KK42s that I can afford. As said before, I'd rather repower it than try to do the glass work myself.

My cruising will likely be Coastal, ICW, maybe the great loop, and gunk holing SW FL & the Keys.

Any recommendations for good online sites that cater to "for sale by owner"? Have spent a great deal of time on sites like Yacht world, but know they only deal with brokerage boats.

Thanks

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 12:16:12 PM

albin43 wrote:

if i was in the market and that was my price rang id be all over this boat......

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/privat...et¤cy=USD&access=Public&listing_id=16264&url=

-- Edited by albin43 on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 10:59:16 AM
I went and looked at that boat. Needs a lot of external repair / refinishing / repainting. The underside of the side deck roofs is rotting, inside window leak damage under the galley porthole, and that's just what I saw (not a surveyor). The PO installed $40,000 worth of Niad stabilizers a few years ago. He sees the mechanical (which is in very good shape), but not the external condition.

Ted

Ted,
TF member Daddyo has his very nice looking Marine Trader 38 trawler sedan for sale....there is a link to it in the for sale section. Looks nice in the pictures!

Have you looked at the Lord Nelson 37 tugs? There is one in NC for only $99k.

When you say pilothouse style...do you only want a pilothouse style boat or will any sedan type trawler work as long as it has a lower helm and door adjacent to the helm? If it doesn't have to be a pilothouse, you have a lot of options....Mainship 390/40 is a good buy as well but I am sure you have looked at those already.

Woodsong wrote:

Ted,
TF member Daddyo has his very nice looking Marine Trader 38 trawler sedan for sale....there is a link to it in the for sale section. Looks nice in the pictures!

Have you looked at the Lord Nelson 37 tugs? There is one in NC for only $99k.

When you say pilothouse style...do you only want a pilothouse style boat or will any sedan type trawler work as long as it has a lower helm and door adjacent to the helm? If it doesn't have to be a pilothouse, you have a lot of options....Mainship 390/40 is a good buy as well but I am sure you have looked at those already.
Yes, saw Daddyo's 36. Very nice looking boat. Hoping to find something a little bigger without teak decks. Wish I had a covered slip; would worry less about external wood work.

Saw that Lord Nelson 37 tug. Looks nice. More teak decks and external wood refinishing.

I was interested in more boats where there is a raised pilothouse such as the Krogen 42, Transpac Eagle 40, Lord Nelson 37 tug, etc. If I end up going with a Sedan trawler (covered side decks), I have a list of those that will work. I like the idea of the raised pilothouse trawler. As there seem to be less models of them and fewer numbers of each model, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any models.

Ted

Krogen, Eaagle 40, DeFever, Lord Nelson Victory Tug, Nordic Tug, American Tug, Fleming, American Marine Alaskan (wood), Tollycraft, Pacific Trawler all made/make pilothouse models.

The Eagle 40 is a particularly interesting boat but I don't know how common they are on the east coast. I've seen a fair number of them out here.* I've never been on one but we've talked to a couple of owners who we met in Nanaimo on a cruise--- from the dock their boats looked very well laid out and both owners were extremely happy with them.

Pacific Trawler is also an interesting boat. They were made (second run) in Washington State. Like the Eagle 40, I don't know anything about their construction or quality.

First shot is an Eagle 40, second shot is a 40' Pacific Trawler.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:02:56 PM

Attachments

• pacific trawler.jpg
    pacific trawler.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,667
  • eagle 40.jpg
    eagle 40.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 758
Ted,

There is an Eighties model 43'**Hatteras LRC that has 2 -*DD's in it.* The boat seems to be in good shape and it is at Northwest Creek Marina in Fairfield Harbor a subdivision of New Bern NC.* It has had very little use in the past two years.

252-638-4133* is the number at the marina.* They can give you the owners name or at least have him call you. I don't think it is listed at this time.* The boat has been for sale for at least two years.* It started off way over priced but the last I talked to the owner (who is in poor health) he said he is ready to make it go away.* I'm thinking*upper $90's to*low $100's.

Teak hand rails but no teak decks.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:06:22 PM

Marin wrote:

Krogen, Eaagle 40, DeFever, Lord Nelson Victory Tug, Nordic Tug, American Tug, Fleming, American Marine Alaskan (wood), Tollycraft, Pacific Trawler all made/make pilothouse models.

The Eagle 40 is a particularly interesting boat but I don't know how common they are on the east coast. I've seen a fair number of them out here. I've never been on one but we've talked to a couple of owners who we met in Nanaimo on a cruise--- from the dock their boats looked very well laid out and both owners were extremely happy with them.

Pacific Trawler is also an interesting boat. They were made (second run) in Washington State. Like the Eagle 40, I don't know anything about their construction or quality.

First shot is an Eagle 40, second shot is a 40' Pacific Trawler.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:02:56 PM
Thanks for the info! Pacific trawler looks really nice, but I need side decks (not as nimble as I use to be). Like the look of the tugs, but really want full displacement hull (other than Lord Nelson) and fuel economy. Flemming, Defever, and Tollycraft pilothouse models are likely bigger than I want to handle solo.

Thanks!

Ted

Ted, have you looked at the Duffy/Campbell 35'-37'.* Downeast lobster boat hull with a sedan style cabin.* Good, solid boat.* Not necessarily full displacement hull, but it would have some flexibility on speed.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:26:27 PM

JD wrote:

Ted,

There is an Eighties model 43' Hatteras LRC that has 2 - DD's in it. The boat seems to be in good shape and it is at Northwest Creek Marina in Fairfield Harbor a subdivision of New Bern NC. It has had very little use in the past two years.

252-638-4133 is the number at the marina. They can give you the owners name or at least have him call you. I don't think it is listed at this time. The boat has been for sale for at least two years. It started off way over priced but the last I talked to the owner (who is in poor health) he said he is ready to make it go away. I'm thinking upper $90's to low $100's.

Teak hand rails but no teak decks.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:06:22 PM
Thanks JD! Looked at the Hatteras LRC 42. With the twin DD they are very thirsty. Manufacturer claims best efficiency of 1.3 MPG at 7 knotts. Hoping to cover lots of miles in the next 10 years, so fuel efficiency is important.

Thanks!

Ted

O C Diver wrote:Like the look of the tugs, but really want full displacement hull (other than Lord Nelson) and fuel economy. Flemming, Defever, and Tollycraft pilothouse models are likely bigger than I want to handle solo.
From what I've gathered from the couple of people we know who have them, while the "fast tugs,"* Nordic and American, can go relatively fast, they can also be cruised slowly very efficiently.* So I wouldn't necessarily rule them out as being less efficient than you want just because they have semi-planing hulls and can run at 12-15 knots or whatever.

You're correct, the De Fever and Flemming pilothouse boats are pretty big--- the smallest Fleming I think is 55.' * The nicest De Fever design I have seen is the 46 footer (IIRC)** It's actually the original design that was used by American Marine in their wooden Alaskan series which in tern became the design foundation for Tony Fleming's boats.* (Fleming worked for American Marine before starting his own company.) But particularly in the case of the Fleming, these boats tend to be way expensive.

At the risk of raising a furor, a boat at least worth looking at if you're after a raised pilothouse are some of the Bayliner models.* While their low-end runabouts and small cruisers were responsible for giving Bayliner it's "cheap" reputation, their larger boats, particularly the various "Motoryachts," were reputedly well-designed and well-made.* But because there are so many of them, they can often be had for pretty reasonable prices.* They made several models in the upper 30-foot through mid 40-foot range that are very popular up here, and probably represent the single largest contingent of cruising power boats that actually get used--- we see them everywhere, year round.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:58:34 PM

Moonstruck wrote:

Ted, have you looked at the Duffy/Campbell 35'-37'. Downeast lobster boat hull with a sedan style cabin. Good, solid boat. Not necessarily full displacement hull, but it would have some flexibility on speed.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:26:27 PM
Moonstruck, as you can tell from my avatar (35 Bruno & Stillman hull), I'm partial to Downeasters. Duffy and Campbells are very nice and there is a lot to be said for being able to cover 150 miles a day. While needs may change, I would like to be able to carry food and water for 7 to 10 days. Thinking I might want to run over to the Bahamas or the dry Tortugas. Thought about buying a 42 Bruno & Stillman and converting it into a 12-14 knott sedan. Then I remembered what my new cabin cost to build and gave up that idea.

Ted

Marin wrote:

At the risk of raising a furor, a boat at least worth looking at if you're after a raised pilothouse are some of the Bayliner models. While their low-end runabouts and small cruisers were responsible for giving Bayliner it's "cheap" reputation, their larger boats, particularly the various "Motoryachts," were reputedly well-designed and well-made. But because there are so many of them, they can often be had for pretty reasonable prices. They made several models in the upper 30-foot through mid 40-foot range that are very popular up here, and probably represent the single largest contingent of cruising power boats that actually get used--- we see them everywhere, year round.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:58:34 PM
Marin, it takes a brave man to recommend a Bayliner in a trawler crowd.

You don't ever want to have a window issue with one of these wrap around style window cabins. Kind of like working on the ground floor of a house of cards. There is a lot to be said for individual windows where the window frames aren't structural to the front of your cabin.

Ted

O C Diver wrote:

Marin, it takes a brave man to recommend a Bayliner in a trawler crowd.
We just bought a 30 year old 43 Defever so the search is fresh in my mind.* Along the way Peter Leech who used to be a partner in Grand Yachts in Coal Harbour recommended that we buy a Bayliner.* Having called their runabouts Baylurkers all my life we couldn't get our heads around the idea and frankly never took him seriously but he was dead serious.* His logic was good too and may be particularly applicable to the OP's budget.* In the mid 100k range he could move into a very current model boat and there is no doubt that the suite of features on a large run production boat like a Baylurker is impressive.* With so many of them out there the problems on a particular model are likely well known and there may be workarounds or solutions.* We couldn't bring ourselves to buy one but that doesn't make them wrong for everybody.

O C Diver wrote:
Thanks JD! Looked at the Hatteras LRC 42. With the twin DD they are very thirsty. Manufacturer claims best efficiency of 1.3 MPG at 7 knotts. Hoping to cover lots of miles in the next 10 years, so fuel efficiency is important.

Thanks!

Ted

*__________________________________________________________

Ted,

I thought you said re power would not be a problem..* Those Hats with new engines might be cool.

JD wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

Thanks!

Ted

Ted,

I thought you said re power would not be a problem.. Those Hats with new engines might be cool.

JD, you are right, I have considered repowering a bargain boat to gain reliability / fuel efficiency. Doing a single engine from say a Lehman to something more efficient / appropriate size wise makes all kinds of sense. In this case, replacing 2 engines at twice the price (of one engine) will likely not half the fuel consumption. $30K to $40K in replacing 2 functional engines will likely take 20K to 30K miles to offset for the fuel savings to equal the cost.

As a side note, I am considered converting a twin screw sedan trawler with a full hollow keel to a single screw. Many of the Taiwan boat builders didn't significantly modify there single screw hulls when installing twins.

Ted

Attachments

• p1010265.jpg
    p1010265.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 124
  • 2275519_26.jpg
    2275519_26.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2275519_37.jpg
    2275519_37.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2275519_38.jpg
    2275519_38.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 115
IF the price were OK a left coast boat could be delivered on her own bottom.

The breeze blows mostly from Alaska to Panama so no wave bashing or trip 2/3 of the way to Hawaii for a favorable breeze.

Panama can waste a few days , but from there to Maine its not a big deal.

bobofthenorth wrote:

We just bought a 30 year old 43 Defever so the search is fresh in my mind.* Along the way Peter Leech who used to be a partner in Grand Yachts in Coal Harbour recommended that we buy a Bayliner.* Having called their runabouts Baylurkers all my life we couldn't get our heads around the idea and frankly never took him seriously but he was dead serious.* His logic was good too and may be particularly applicable to the OP's budget.* In the mid 100k range he could move into a very current model boat and there is no doubt that the suite of features on a large run production boat like a Baylurker is impressive.* With so many of them out there the problems on a particular model are likely well known and there may be workarounds or solutions.* We couldn't bring ourselves to buy one but that doesn't make them wrong for everybody.

The truth of the matter is that you simply cannot get more bang for your buck than the Bayliner 4588 or her newer sister, the 4788. *The 4588 was built circa 1985 to 1993. *The 4788 from 1994 til they became meridian...the meridian 490 is the exact same hull and layout as the 4788. *There are several differences between the 45 and the 47....45 has prop pockets, shafts a little beefier on the 47, 47 has 2' extra in the salon but cockpit and everything else same size, helm layout modernized on the 47, etc. *They are both nearly the same boat though. *While they are not "trawlers" they get nearly the same fuel economy, particularly the 4588. *The 45 is usually powered by twin 220hp hino diesels. *Rock solid engines, just not as many of them around, but very solid performers. *They will give you a combined fuel burn of 2.8 GPH hour for BOTH engines so 1,200 RPM, 7 knots, 2.8 GPH total. *Pretty darn good for a twin screw boat in the 45' range and probably better than those running twin cats, cummins, etc.

Personally, I prefer the 45 over the 47, or, actually, I much more prefer the 1994-1996 4788's. *Reason being is that the older models have more teak and I think a more classic look to the interior. *Up until 1996 and through 1996, they built the 45/47 with the aft bulkhead to the salon from the cockpit with teak and it looks nice but also protected from the elements pretty well. *From 1997 on they switched to no exterior teak at all and dumbed down the galley to white cabinet faces which I don't like as much. *The 1994-1996 models still had the teak but also had the extra 2' space and other 47' construction upgrades, as well as switching from hino diesels to cummins which are more well known engines no matter where you travel.

From a resale perspective, the 45/47's are extremely, extremely popular, sell well, retain their value well, and are well received and enjoy a good reputation, unlike some of the smaller bayliners. *The 38 sedan is a nice looking boat with a good layout as well but I much prefer the 45 or 47. *I have heard very, very few (if any??) stories of the windows having major leaks. *No doubt about it, our old trawlers are known to have a lot more leaks than the larger bayliners.

If a true pilothouse style cruising boat in the mid 45' range with good layout, good value, easier resale, good handling, and good fuel economy is what you want, you are going to be hard pressed to find more boat for your money than the bayliner 4588 or newer 4788. *I have crawled around all over the 45's and 47's and I find them to be excellent boats for the money and hold up very well. *We were actually actively shopping for a 45 or 47 bayliner when I stumbled upon our trawler which we subsequently fell in love with. *We were drawn to the 45/47 due to having 3 staterooms which was originally one of our stronger preferences since we have 2 kids and they could have had their own rooms but that was more of a want than a need for us at this point.

Attached is a copy of the performance chart/fuel burn for the 220 Hinos. *Fuel burn is for both engines combined, not just one engine. *Several owners of the 45 with this power plant have confirmed the accuracy of the chart.

Attachments

• 4588fuelchart.jpg
    4588fuelchart.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 141
O C Driver, what make you think the bottom needs to be peeled and re glassed?* Most boats have blisters of some sort.* As long as the blisters are under 10 cents and some 25 cents there may be nothing to worry about. The might be surface blisters.* The Eagle has a few blisters the size of dime and quarters which, that I pop, sand down and epoxy, not a big deal.* So have a survey done.* If you own a boat your will have to leaner to epoxy and paint at some time.* Its not that hard its like mixing cake batter and dry walling with some sanding.* I have epoxy and additives on board all the time, fixing and repairing things. I would think it would be cheaper than repowering?* ****

Teak decks have a back reputation because the owners have not take maintained them.* Teak decks give plenty of warning sings, bungs missing/popping up, crack between the calking and the teak strip, maybe some warping.* If teak decks are maintained just like other parts of the boat they will last.* So again have a surveyor take a look as the decks might be sound, and just need some TLC. **The Eagle has teak decks which I do yearly maintenance on, replacing bungs that have popped up, re caulking the seams and applying Dayles SeaFin each fall.* 30 year old deck with no leaks.* Its the past owners fault no the teak decks.

So I would at least take a closer look, as most boats that age and price range are going to have some problems.* If interest have a quick out of water survey done.* Some of the surveys I have had done last about 5 minutes, and one time he did not even get out of the car.* Buy the boat you want.

Tony,
I agree. Not only bang for buck but I like the boats. Way too big and expensive for me but I have always admired their looks especially from a short distance. They are an extremely well balanced boat visually. Otherwise I don't know. Never seen one out of the water. We met some folks aboard one at Point Baker * ...the Jericho. They ran about 9 or 10 knots
(made a big bow wave) but I really liked the boat. The view from the wheelhouse is great. On the attachment Tony posted there is a column marked "percentage of fuel burned". This can be directly converted into engine load. Wish I could see that on all/many boats. Gph is almost always heavily tainted w much running at less than cruising speed.

Phil Fill wrote:

O C Driver, what make you think the bottom needs to be peeled and re glassed?Most boats have blisters of some sort.As long as the blisters are under 10 cents and some 25 cents there may be nothing to worry about. The might be surface blisters.The Eagle has a few blisters the size of dime and quarters which, that I pop, sand down and epoxy, not a big deal.So have a survey done.If you own a boat your will have to leaner to epoxy and paint at some time.Its not that hard its like mixing cake batter and dry walling with some sanding.I have epoxy and additives on board all the time, fixing and repairing things. I would think it would be cheaper than repowering?

Teak decks have a back reputation because the owners have not take maintained them.Teak decks give plenty of warning sings, bungs missing/popping up, crack between the calking and the teak strip, maybe some warping.If teak decks are maintained just like other parts of the boat they will last.So again have a surveyor take a look as the decks might be sound, and just need some TLC. The Eagle has teak decks which I do yearly maintenance on, replacing bungs that have popped up, re caulking the seams and applying Dayles SeaFin each fall.30 year old deck with no leaks.Its the past owners fault no the teak decks.

So I would at least take a closer look, as most boats that age and price range are going to have some problems.If interest have a quick out of water survey done.Some of the surveys I have had done last about 5 minutes, and one time he did not even get out of the car.Buy the boat you want.

Hi Phil,

I did not say I thought any of the boats (KK42) that I looked at needed to be peeled and reglassed (certainly not something I could determine). My concern was that I might have to based on 4 of these boats (that I'm aware of) that needed to be done. Think it may have been relative to moisture going through the thin outer fiberglass layer into the balsa core. I am familiar with blister repair. However, when blisters allow water to enter the core, well that's becomes a much bigger issue.

I understand the proper maintenance of a teak deck and the revarnishing of other exterior woods on a boat. You need to be able to appreciate the value relative to the maintenance. I used to own a steel charter boat. In the commercial boating world they say, "Glass is fast but Steel is real". The cost of "real" among other things, is chasing rust. You had better like to sand blast and paint. Decided the time cost of "reel" was too high for me. My current charter boat had a fiberglass over 1 1/2" plywood deck that rotted from underneath. Knew it when I bought the boat. Tore out the old deck and replaced it with 1/4" aluminum marine alloy plate. Then had that covered by Line-X with 1/4" tan spray bed liner. Zero maintenance for 8 years now in a 90+ trip per year charter environment. My point is this, I see no aesthetic value to teak decks.* Why do I want a hobby of maintaining a liability that holds no value to me. Given a choice all (most) of the wood will be on the inside of my boat.

Ted

O C Diver wrote:

*.......Think it may have been relative to moisture going through the thin outer fiberglass layer into the balsa core. I am familiar with blister repair. However, when blisters allow water to enter the core, well that's becomes a much bigger issue.
Ted:* Early Krogens*had PVC foam below the water line.* The only place they*used end-grain balsa-core was in*pilot house and boat deck.* The earlier models used plywood on the boat decks.* I'm not sure about the early*pilot houses though.* Hobo was built in*1987.* The pilot house and bridge deck use*a*closed cell PVC sandwich core.

Water intrusion into PVC core by itself is not an issue.* One of the problems with cored hulls that have had water intrusion*is if the boat has been stored on the hard, in freezing conditions.* The expansion and contraction can cause de-lamination.* This is easy to determine during a survey.* And yes, some of the 42's had or have*blister problems, but as you know*blisters are not unique to Krogens.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Zihuatanejo, MX

Larry M wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

.......Think it may have been relative to moisture going through the thin outer fiberglass layer into the balsa core. I am familiar with blister repair. However, when blisters allow water to enter the core, well that's becomes a much bigger issue.
Ted: Early Krogens had PVC foam below the water line. The only place they used end-grain balsa-core was in pilot house and boat deck. The earlier models used plywood on the boat decks. I'm not sure about the early pilot houses though. Hobo was built in 1987. The pilot house and bridge deck use a closed cell PVC sandwich core.

Water intrusion into PVC core by itself is not an issue. One of the problems with cored hulls that have had water intrusion is if the boat has been stored on the hard, in freezing conditions. The expansion and contraction can cause de-lamination. This is easy to determine during a survey. And yes, some of the 42's had or have blister problems, but as you know blisters are not unique to Krogens.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Zihuatanejo, MX

Hi Larry, yes you are correct they are PVC cores not Balsa, my mistake. Never got the full explanation of the need to peel these 4 boats. Your explanation of delamination caused by freezing seems plausible as 3 of these boats are in the Northeast USA.

Realy like the KK42s. Center island berth master with a single head configuration was the model I was interested in.

Ted

They are rare, but Marine Trader made a 34 Pilothouse....pretty damn neat boat. I just searched YW and did not see any available. But at one point a while back, there were 3 on there. They are "widebodies" so no side decks.

A boat I have been watching for a couple of years now is this one...and IG36 Europa. Don't know what is wrong with it because it hasn't sold and they keep dropping the price.....but it sure looks nice on paper.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...pa-2250876/Punta-Gorda-Isles/FL/United-States

Back
Top Bottom