New boat - New Avatar - Old member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
So, went for a cruise on Rhino, the Jarvis Newman, with folk from our marina last weekend, got back and one of the guests made me an offer we couldn't refuse. So pending the normal BS associated with selling a boat, we will be putting rod holders onto the back of Baobab, our Bayliner 4788. So the avatar will have to change.

I have mixed feelings with regards to Rhino. She is an awesome vessel and goes to a good home (the bugger has been watching me work on it for a year and must have known I was nearly done!) but the reality of owning two boats of the same size, is it makes no sense.

Attachments

• 20150624_120822-1.jpg
    20150624_120822-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 217
I was wondering when you were going to change your Avatar. :)

Sorry to see your old boat go, but the Bayliner will take good care of you!

It's funny, but the more time I spend fiddling around with our 4788 the more I apreciate and the realize the engineering that went into it.

Thanks Kevin, she was a classy Lady but I worked on her a lot and that means I can now cruise more. So while I hadn't put her up for sale yet, I think it was just a matter of time...

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20140112_144508_923.jpg
    IMG_20140112_144508_923.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 107
well I think it is congrats but all the best Rhino is a bute

I am sure Baobab will be also

Dimer I have to ask, why did you name your boat after a tree? I'm thinking you have an African connection.

Dog gone, I thought you would name the Bayliner cheeta or hippo or something like that. Baobab is different. Have to google it to find out what it is.lol I got to say a good friend of mine is from Cut n Shoot and I love the name of that town. My kind of place. Melissa is going to let you get the new boat bloody??? HopCar, Dimer2 is a true African American. Says so on his drivers license.Hee Hee

Well Dimer, Congrats and Condolences............as I'm sure you're having mixed feelings about selling Rhino.

Being a 4788, I think "Frivolous Speedster" would be more appropriate.:hide:

Sure gonna miss the uniqueness of Rhino though.

Ddalme, the Baobab tree is magnificent. It supplies food and shelter to wide variety of life from tiny insects to elephants. I think it's a great name for a boat.

Thanks everyone! The Baobab is an awesome tree and the 4788 is an awesome boat. I will miss the Rhino as I know her intimately. However, Michelle needed, and I agreed, we needed a little more creature comfort and the Bayliner fits the bill perfectly (for the price). I was born and raised on the coast of South Africa, hence the names of the boats. The Rhino was a stout, go anywhere she pleases type of boat while the Baobab will hopefully give us protection and shelter, as we are live aboards. As I have said for the last 6 or 7 boats, this is definitely the last one! Unless of course.... :)

Dimer, who designed the type face for Boabab? I love the tree coming out of the B. The heavy body of the type face is reminiscent of the heavy body of the tree. Very nice design.

Hopcar, Michelle is responsible for the design. She ordered through the 'custom design' option offered by BoatUS. They did great and were reasonably priced. They will very likely be changing their terms and conditions of service shortly, after dealing with Michelle :)

Hi dimer2.

It must the cousin of this tree we have in Australia, the Boab. It grows all over Australia and a famous example of it was used as a jail in Western Aust.

Your variety of it looks great, congrats on the boat shuffle.

Fair winds and Smooth seas.

Regards.

David.

That is a great name for the boat, Boab, Baobab and Embondeiro in Portuguese all the same tree.

Here are a couple of pictures of some I took at a sugar plantation in Tanzania back in the mid 70's, sorry for the image quality they were scanned from the original slides. If you look closely to the left of the first one you can see the "Snows of Kilimanjaro", the second Baobab is being used as a Bee tree the cylinders hanging from the branches are some sort of hive for honeybees, I guess they are lowered to the ground for harvesting, I didn't get close enough to find out. They sure are interesting trees.
I hope we'll see you and Michelle in Baobab out on the water one of these days!

Attachments

• Baobab Kilimanjaro.jpg
    Baobab Kilimanjaro.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Baobab bee tree.jpg
    Baobab bee tree.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 79
Met Michelle and Blue on our way back with new boat after we snuck by them in the locks in New Orleans. Had the pleasure of a tour of his 4788 Bayliner and I have to say it was terrific. Although I was a little puzzled by the two bruce anchors on the bow. Did you change that? I know ya'll will enjoy it. Almost got my 30 Atlantic ready to go. Still need to replace the refrigerator, weld a bracket on the swim platform, and install the auto pilot remote on the fly bridge. Then I'm cruising over to visit.

ddalme me, the large Bruce has been painted and sits with the other ornaments in the flower garden at the marina. The small one I gave to a charter boat captain who fishes over rocks. I took the Manson Supreme of the Jarvis Newman and it now sits proudly next to a Danforth of the Bayliner. If you coming to visit, you better hurry as when I get this generator fixed I am off to Rockport to go fishing, drink beer and get a new bottom job....in no particular order.

Damn, dimer, sounds fun! Hope you can stop by Clear Lake on the way! If I'm in town, that is.

Kevin, we will stop for a couple weeks, either on the way down or on the way back, so unless you immigrate, should be able to meet up :)

ddalme me, the large Bruce has been painted and sits with the other ornaments in the flower garden at the marina. The small one I gave to a charter boat captain who fishes over rocks. I took the Manson Supreme of the Jarvis Newman and it now sits proudly next to a Danforth of the Bayliner. If you coming to visit, you better hurry as when I get this generator fixed I am off to Rockport to go fishing, drink beer and get a new bottom job....in no particular order.

Now you talking! Anchors away. Almost ready to strike out. A few more things to do. Almost got the dingy (Devlin Pollywog) ready also. Trying to see if I can hang it on the back somehow. No problem to tow though. When you leaving for Rockport?

When I get this generator fixed. "All" I have to do is slide it off except it ain't sliding. I will try again in the morning. Realistically, first week of August.

Kevin, we will stop for a couple weeks, either on the way down or on the way back, so unless you immigrate, should be able to meet up :)

Sounds GREAT! And I'll be sure to find a way to be in town while you're there! Any idea where you'll be staying?

Kevin, I figured if I got up enough speed, there would be room for the two of us in your slip :).
Not sure, we (Michelle) will be checking a few places out. Choice kind of depends on whether we bring a vehicle down or not.

It's funny, but the more time I spend fiddling around with our 4788 the more I appreciate and the realize the engineering that went into it.
Interesting comment. Years ago, my best friend purchased a 4588 that he lived on. I had the opportunity to make a few offshore cruises on the boat and was amazed how well it handled the sea. (I was a "doubter" prior to these few outings.) He then told me that the 4588 was the first boat that he knew of that was completely designed by CAD. I have no way of confirming this but the boat has some really unbelievable design features for a 45 ft cruiser. I have a friend who just sold his sail boat and wants a "trawler" to live aboard. I've suggested looking for a 4588-4788 but like me (years ago) he has doubts about "Bayliners." It's really too bad as he has $200K to spend and probably could find a nice one!

Walt, I was not a 'believer' either but did a lot of research before buying. If your friend wants a chat, I would be happy to provide a number. Pilot house King (TF member) has an awesome site with the history of these boats. Kevin is of course, another wonderful resource.

Kevin, I figured if I got up enough speed, there would be room for the two of us in your slip :)

That'll work Blue! I'm nosed into the slip, so if you back in really really fast, should fit nicely, and no need for dumb ole mooring lines!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom