Awlwood clear finish by Awlgrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Insequent

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Insequent
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Can anybody indicate durability of the Awlwood product?
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clear-coat-systems/awlwood.aspx

Alwgrip paints are pretty good, so I would have high expectations of their clear coating system. A yard nearby has been using it for a little while and are saying that its really good. But as we know, for external finishes its all about longevity given that prep and recoating is a PIA.

If you can believe the promotional stuff it sounds great. Brian, like you, I'd like to find someone who has used it and in the tropical sun that was brushed on. I think spray application is beyond my pay grade.

Last edited:
Most all coatings are good these days.

Read the specifications and recomendations. Frequently new age high tech finishes are not user friendly and the seemingly miricle like performance claims will not be realized unless the product is very carefully applied.

You'll notice that many of us here use varnish only slightly different than what was used in the 50s. And just about as easy to apply, touch up and buy as it was then (in today's dollars).

Eric: Awlwood has only been around a few years. From what I've read it's a more flexible finish, you can apply multi coats in one day, more durable than varnish and is relatively easy to repair vs varnish. Awlgrip has a lot at stake bringing a new product to market. Here's a picture from an 80' Merritt. The mate said it was sprayed on.

Attachments

• 80' Merritt.jpg
    80' Merritt.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 167
Awlwood is a bit unusual. It is a moisture cure, so not suitable for application in low humidity or in air conditioned buildings. Some humidity is needed to enable it to cure. The PDS warns to decant small amounts for use, then capping the main container, and not to return any unused amounts back to the main container. Otherwise it appears to be straight forward to use. Even if spraying, which is beyond my skill set, they recommend brushing the first two coats.

I'm thinking that I will prep the Portuguese Bridge caprail over the next few weeks then put the canvas covers over it. We are entering our dry season, its mostly about keeping the sun off the bare timber. Then, when hauled for antifoul get the yard guys to lightly sand the caprail and do the application for me whilst I watch and decide whether brushing it for the rest of the boat is manageable for me. I'd like the trial piece to have every opportunity to succeed .....

Can anybody indicate durability of the Awlwood product?
http://www.awlgrip.com/products/clear-coat-systems/awlwood.aspx

Alwgrip paints are pretty good, so I would have high expectations of their clear coating system. A yard nearby has been using it for a little while and are saying that its really good. But as we know, for external finishes its all about longevity given that prep and recoating is a PIA.

Hi ,

We have used the awl wood and although it has been on only 12 months we are very happy with it . People that I had contacted in Sydney prior to using it , and they were professionals tell that it outlasts any other product used here in Australia and as a consequence they are not bringing their boats as regularly for maintenance on the varnish. It is a little difficult to apply , and from our experience has a little shrink back, I.e ours was a mirror finish 12 months ago , flat, but you see area's now where the slightest bit of grain is showing a dimple in the mirror surface. We had 9 coats applied from scratch , and as I write our varnished is giving it a light rub back and applying another 2 coats, will be finished this week. The job looks amazing and people everywhere we go comment on how good it is.
Hope this helps

Thanks Liberty, that's good feedback.

Bought a can last year to do a caprail but chickened out and used epiphanes. A buddy of mine took it off my hands to test it for me. Looks like I'll be doing the caprail this year with it.

Via iPhone.

I'm about to put Awlwood on the wooden parts of a small boat I'm building. Does anybody know if it can be applied with foam brushes? I didn't find any mention of that in the application guide.

I'm about to put Awlwood on the wooden parts of a small boat I'm building. Does anybody know if it can be applied with foam brushes? I didn't find any mention of that in the application guide.

It's my understanding that you can use solvent resistant brushes. If you use the cheap non-solvent resistant ones you'll have to change brushes as they go soft.

Awl wood foam brushes

Hi

spoke with my varnisher this morning , he said brushes will tend to swell after a while, but you throw and replace... ideally use solvent resistant foamy"S

Cheers Liberty Chris D

I have a 42 GB and just received a quote in gulf shores, AL to do the rails and teak trim in Awlwood. Complete job including prep and sanding came in about $25,000. Kind of blew me away. Is that price actually in line with what others have paid or are paying?

I have a 42 GB and just received a quote in gulf shores, AL to do the rails and teak trim in Awlwood. Complete job including prep and sanding came in about $25,000. Kind of blew me away. Is that price actually in line with what others have paid or are paying?[/QUOTE.

The wife would throw me overboard if I spent $25K on bright work and she would be acquitted by any admiralty court in the land. :banghead:

I have a 42 GB and just received a quote in gulf shores, AL to do the rails and teak trim in Awlwood. Complete job including prep and sanding came in about $25,000. Kind of blew me away. Is that price actually in line with what others have paid or are paying?
We replaced our caprails , made two new doors and had teak left over . We used 5/4 Bermese teak and put on 6 coats of Epifanes . We had about $3,000 in materials . I was able to buy the teak wholesale .We did all the work ourselves . It was a big job . I wonder what this would have cost to hire out .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 113

To give you an idea, a friend of mine would paint your entire boat for about $20,000. And that would include sanding, priming, sanding and 3 sprayed coats of Awlgrip.

What are they charging per hour?

At $50 per hour, $23,000 for labor ($25,000 less say $2000 for supplies) works out to 460 man hours or 11.5 weeks of work for one person.

What does that price include? Removing as much hardware, like stanchions, as possible and re-bedding it?

A saw a quote a while back just for the cap rail. All prep (to bare wood) and materials plus 8 coats varnish = $100/foot

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom