Thread: Deck sealant
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
ti325v

City: Vietnam
Hi QB.
My friend you are a romantic.
Let me assure you, in this country, in particular on this remote island where there is no tradition of boat building,things are not done with any pride of self nor product in this modern version of old world craftsmanship. Make a buck and run. We are dealing with uneducated, lazy, thieving, STOOOPID ignorant peasants who claim to be skilled tradesmen. I have to oversee every single move these idiots make, and am now at the point that for anything more involved then what my crew can do, I do it myself.
Come on over, they would love to meet you ! Eat you alive and spit you out. I hope you can speak the language as well. nobody to do that for you.
Now if you have something productive to add..say real concerns about the wood species, or concerns about the wood being wet, well that would be much appreciated. (Sika discussed the wet wood with me and did not care about the species)otherwise, suggest you check your romantic notions at the door along with the suggestion that I am some kind of idiot for not doing it the 'Old Way".
Ride you horse to work today ? That was the way to go for thousands of years or are you a real luddite and walk ?
Sorry folks but the absolute ignorance of these people is simply stunning and QB if what they do worked, I would do it again. I have had three different monkeys tell me how to do it, paid them a fortune and was left with leaking decks in less then a year.
Oh and a clarification, the boat was built in a yard a three days travel away. Where they sort of know what they are doing and many, many times I took the tools out of their hands and showed these old world craftsmen new and much better ways to do things. They were more then a little impressed with my carpentry skills.
ti325v is offline   Reply With Quote