Scuppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

34 Europa

Veteran Member
Hi all,

We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" . What we are wondering is this something you buy, or is it something that was installed at the factory and we need to make new ones? If this is a part you can buy ( and then we will install) where would we begin to look for them? We have not had much luck searching on the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 142
There are plenty of scuppers available to buy. The trouble is finding some that fit your boat without making modifications. They come in various sizes; round, oval, rectangular, plastic, stainless, brass, with or without flaps to stop incoming water.

Something like this may fit your cutout.
https://www.marineeast.com/a_sch/sch_det.asp?cid=09&pid=09_06

Removing the old scupper and reshaping and/or resealing the hole will be the majority of the work. Fitting the new one is simple once the prep work is done.

We have two scuppers on Willy and two can be seen in this photo.
They are not commercial and don't have flanges like the above or on Pack Mule's boat. Some previous owner made them I think.

Attachments

• STH71275 copy.jpg
    STH71275 copy.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 172
We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" .
Is it possible that you are talking about a "hawse hole" and not a "scupper?" Eric has correctly shown a "scupper" (drain) and they need not be metal.

Last edited:
Gosh.. I am not sure which is correct... What we have is not metal, it is 1.5" x 3" wide drain that lines up with the deck... no "door" like on a scupper. I guess finding the right terminology will make this way easier!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Scuppers will be at deck level. Here the Coot's three starboard scuppers (for draining water) and the one hawse hole forward are readily seen.

There we go,,, Coot has PROPER scuppers. Not the normall afterthought things that are passed off as scuppers. My 31 Ameracat has 2 tiny 1 1/2 inch scuppers, one on each side at the back. An absolute joke, just not so funny. It would takes hours for the boat to drain if it were filled by a breaking wave. Luckily it is foam filled and wont sink :)

Hi,

I have attached a couple more pics of what I mean (sorry can not get it to rotate) ... I am thinking scuppers is correct.....What I need to know now, is can I buy replacement ones.

It appears to be a "part" that has been glassed into the hull of the boat.

Mod Note: Image rotation free of charge

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 142
  • flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 488
Last edited by a moderator:
We have two scuppers on Willy and two can be seen in this photo.
They are not commercial and don't have flanges like the above or on Pack Mule's boat. Some previous owner made them I think.

What chew talkin bout Willis?? We have 4 scuppers that are oval cut outs flush with the deck and four bronze hawse holes for dock lines .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 132
Looks like a hawse hole to me and yes it can be replaced. I would send a private message to HopCar on this forum. Parks Masterson owns Hopkins Carter marine supply in Florida and has been invaluable to me as a resource for parts.

Looks like a hawse hole to me and yes it can be replaced. I would send a private message to HopCar on this forum. Parks Masterson owns Hopkins Carter marine supply in Florida and has been invaluable to me as a resource for parts.

What he said . I got my bronze hawse holes from Parks .

The scuppers may be part of the original female mold when the boat was made and the second picture was a poor repair. We have 4 per side. The exterior is part of the molded fiberglass.

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2e.jpg
    2e.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 118
Hi all,

We are in the process of going over all the things we need to fix on our new boat (34 CHB). One of the things we can not seem to find much information about is the "scuppers" As you can see one of them has been "repaired" . What we are wondering is this something you buy, or is it something that was installed at the factory and we need to make new ones? If this is a part you can buy ( and then we will install) where would we begin to look for them? We have not had much luck searching on the internet.

Jeez....Looks like Salvador Dali was moonlighting as a fiberglass repairman:eek:!

Many boats have the scupper flush with the hull surface. You might consider grinding off the outer molded half-round lip and reglassing/gelcoating.

Thanks all!

Yes Larry that looks about right! The only difference is that ours appears to be a separate piece as the joint is pretty evident on the exterior of the hull.

Thanks for the info on Parks.. always good to have a great source for parts!

Jeez....Looks like Salvador Dali was moonlighting as a fiberglass repairman:eek:!

Many boats have the scupper flush with the hull surface. You might consider grinding off the outer molded half-round lip and reglassing/gelcoating.

Ya, there are a few "repairs" that were not maybe done the best they could have been! We are planning to repair as needed :)

You may have trouble finding an exact replacement size. The round PVC thru-hull readily available as they are common on new plastic boats. The oval shaped ones are generally bigger than your 1.5" x 3" size. (usual 2 x 6")

Basically a scupper is just a hole. You could use anything that finishes it off nicely and the core is sealed off from water intrusion.
If you can't find a matching size scupper, you could use a stainless rope hawser such as this one http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index....=115&p=product&id=13066&parent=104&vendorid=2 to give your boat a bit of bling.

Another option is cutting out a larger hole to fit what size is available. Like most boats, (including mine), your cockpit drainage is probably too small to meet ABYC standards. They call for sizing to allow drainage of a full cockpit full of water in 90 seconds.

The bottom picture in post eight looks a lot like a Buck-Algonquin Hawse Pipe.
70hpcs3.jpg

It doesn't look like the metal part is your problem. I can't tell from the photos what the exterior part is made from. A more detailed picture might help.

Hey Parks,
For that Hawse Hole doubling as a cleat w much load from a mooring line it better fit tight in it's cutout. Those two little screws won't hold much. I'd prefer a dedicated cleat.

The screws hold it in place...the inability for the plate to fit back through the hole is what provides strength....at least as strong as the bulwark.

Lots of high end boats have them...wish I did.

Of course it is only as good as the install..sorta like installing a cleat with tiny screws.

HI all,

After a little more digging we have decided that once we remove the teak decks, it will be easier for us to fabricate a pattern and make our own new parts, and then glass them in. The ones on the boat are glassed right in and we would not have the clearance for the one pictured above. I will post pics once we get that far :)

Scuppers are frequently used as hawse holes and light construction will suffer.

If replacement is required be sure you can pass a dock line with an eye splice , and most important that the outside edge has a very soft and radiused corners.

MUCH harder to find , and install, but wont eat the dock lines.

On our CHB the scuppers (5 on each side) are an integral part of the hull mold.....if you have access, we have storage under the side decks...you may not, open the under deck storage area doors (in salon) and look up....you will see that they are not just inserted. From your pics it looks like the PO used the scupper as a hawse hole....been tempted several times to do that myself....glad I decided otherwise.

Better pic of ours from the inside .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 69
And outside .Not real purdy but they drain good .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 80
Hello 34, go to Martin Marine in North Van, the last time I looked they had plenty of bronze hawse holes and I think also some Chrome. They are likely the kind you want. You can always paint them if they need to be white.

Like most boats, (including mine), your cockpit drainage is probably too small to meet ABYC standards. They call for sizing to allow drainage of a full cockpit full of water in 90 seconds.

I have two 2x6" scuppers in the cockpit of my KK54. Somehow they didn't seem big enough to drain a full cockpit in 90 seconds. So I turned to the internet to find the formula for flow through an orifice. Guess what? My rough calcs show that it will drain in around 90 seconds. I guess they knew what they were doing when they designed the boat :)

Richard
Stillwater
KK54

I guess they knew what they were doing when they designed the boat :)
I sure hope that's the case on my boat as the scuppers look pretty small to empty the cockpit in 90 seconds. Of course I can open the transom & side doors and things will happen a lot faster.:blush:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 72
I sure hope that's the case on my boat as the scuppers look pretty small to empty the cockpit in 90 seconds. Of course I can open the transom & side doors and things will happen a lot faster.:blush:

This is one of those things where bigger is always better!
Running around in the cockpit opening doors is the last thing you want to be doing under the conditions (very stormy seas) that caused the flooding.
I have had the dubious pleasure while working as a deckhand on a sportfishing yacht, the scuppers looked adequate, quite likely made the spec, but were useless due to jamming with ropes, fishing gear, t-shirts, and trash, basically everything loose that doesn't float tries to get out of the scuppers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom