Need power steering o ring size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Can someone tell me the correct o-ring sizes for the shaft and adjuster knob please??

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436151882.686766.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436151902.138239.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I don't know, but why not invest $25 in a kit that will cover every o-ring you will ever use on your boat.

Time. Somewhere in years past I've seen it posted here where the outer oring was matched and replaced allowing for a permanent (somewhat) repair. I'm pretty sure the size was even given. Removing/ disassemble/ and reseal of a complete Capilano pump would be quite an undertaking :).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Sorry- just read your post again. I actually have oring kits already, just want to avoid the possibility of a non standard size.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I bought the seal kit and it did not include the shaft O-ring. Measure the shaft OD and the housing ID and go to the McMaster-Carr web site. I think I posted the dimensions for ours here one time but not sure anymore. I think the shaft was 3/4" and the housing was 1". McMaster has the dimensions and that will give you the dash number for the O-ring. You can then go to an industrial/hydraulics supply house and buy the O-ring or order from McMaster.

Or...go to your local Grainger, pay a 20% premium for the convenience and timeliness, and get a Buna-N O-ring kit. It will have about 30 different o-rings varying in diameter and thickness. You will not likely ever have to chase down o-rings again. And...you can be that guy at the dock that says "Oh...I think I have one of those on board"...and fixes up your boat buddy who is in the the same predicament you are in now:D.

I keep several plastic calipers .. one on the boat and at home. Also in my car for shopping. Seems to me they are about $10. I prefer the ones that have fractions of SAE numbers on the inner scale. With a small magnifying glass one can repeatedly measure quite accurately. You could measure the groove and get the perfect "O" ring.

Thanks Eric and others. I'm pretty sure it was Bob's post that I remembered. I was just hoping that having the O rings in hand could allow me to keep the swap out fast enough that I don't drain the pump and introduce air unnecessary.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I doubt the shaft seal is an oring. Those are not used on rotating shafts. Usually it is a lip seal. Best getting it from mfr or pull it and read number off of it.

It is an O-ring, not ideal, but that's what it is. Considering the slow rotation speed of the steering shaft it's an acceptable solution. The shaft bearing is pretty tight so there is not much leakage when you pull out the O-ring although having the new one at hand is a good idea.

Also make sure the shaft is smooth so you don't tear up the new O-ring sliding it into place. On our upper helm somebody in the past had gripped the shaft with pliers, most likely vise grips, and left some significant burrs.

here is a picture

Attachments

• RIMG0079.jpg
    RIMG0079.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90
A friend had similar problem on a sea star helm pump. I re-sealed it for him and it still seeped at the shaft, I replaced the oring with a quad seal and that cured it.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

here is a picture
In this picture the o-ring is red . That usually means it's silicon . Silicon o-rings are used for higher temps or maybe certain oils . Does it need to be silicone ?

Assuming a petroleum based hydraulic fluid and according to my chemical compatibility chart for o rings, Buna or Viton (expensive) both have an A rating, Silicone has a B rating.
Buna will be the easiest to find.

You do NOT want EPDM

In this picture the o-ring is red . That usually means it's silicon . Silicon o-rings are used for higher temps or maybe certain oils . Does it need to be silicone ?

I do not know if it needs to be silicon or red. I have an entire set of step by step pictures on how to overhaul a capilano. This was one of those pictures.:dance:

Attachments

• RIMG0058.jpg
    RIMG0058.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 72
another

Attachments

• RIMG0049.jpg
    RIMG0049.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 80
2 more:dance:

Attachments

• RIMG0029.jpg
    RIMG0029.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 77
  • RIMG0085.jpg
    RIMG0085.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 69
Wow. This is great. And it's not even an ANCHOR discussion!! Great pics guys. Quad rings VA O ring vs Viton vs ...
I do like those quad rings. Maybe I end up breaking this down, measuring for a quad ring seal on the shaft and one needed for the adjuster and order them from Hercules...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Turns adjuster us a #7, and main shaft is a #15. Both at home depot.

Thank You!! I KNEW this information was available here!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Looks like a Hynautic Hydraulic steering system. Rebuild kits are available. Try Seastarsolutions.com (manufacturers website)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom