Chien Hwa 34 Double Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Jack

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa 34 Europa
i have been lurking here for quite awhile so here goes the first post. My bride and i are looking to enter the trawler market and have been looking at numerous options. We have found a Chien Hwa on yacht world that looks interesting. Does anyone have experience with this make of trawler? I have not seen very many of these for sale which leads me to think production may have been small numbers and parts may be limited for repairs. Any info/opinions would be welcome - thank you!

Welcome aboard Captain Jack!! We have a Present 42 which is built in the Chung Hwa yard. Maybe your candidate is in the same bloodline? Replacement parts are almost never readily available for the vessel such as teak moulding, finger pulls for doors, teak louvers, etc- but the mechanicals installed new would be components familiar and readily available in the states. Running gear, steering, water pumps and windlasses (as an example) would be readily available. Good luck!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The 34' Taiwanese Trawlers (TT'S) were imported under several names, mostly CHB's on the West Coast and Marine Traders on the east coast. Is the boat you're looking at in Jacksonville?

1978 Chien Hwa 34 Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The listing on this boat looks pretty much like all the Marine Traders that are out there, with a maybe a few differences in the salon layout, which could be the result of owner mods over the years.

There is a lot of information, plus and minus, here on TForum and elsewhere on the net.

Here's a link for starters
http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/power/marinetrader342.asp

I've owned a Marine Trader for about 7 years, and have been thru a lot of the issues common to these boats. A few TF searches on Marine Traders and CHB's will give you a lot of info on things to look for.

Last edited:
The 34' Taiwanese Trawlers (TT'S) were imported under several names, mostly CHB's on the West Coast and Marine Traders on the east coast. Is the boat you're looking at in Jacksonville?

1978 Chien Hwa 34 Double Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The listing on this boat looks pretty much like all the Marine Traders that are out there, with a maybe a few differences in the salon layout, which could be the result of owner mods over the years.

There is a lot of information, plus and minus, here on TForum and elsewhere on the net.

Here's a link for starters
BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Marine Trader 34 Double Cabin

I've owned a Marine Trader for about 7 years, and have been thru a lot of the issues common to these boats. A few TF searches on Marine Traders and CHB's will give you a lot of info on things to look for.

Yep that is the boat. Thanks for the link - nice overall info. It sounds like the taiwan trawlers are pretty much like buying a chevy/pontiac/buick. Personal preference and features will determine which model an individual likes (or not).

Welcome aboard Captain Jack!! We have a Present 42 which is built in the Chung Hwa yard. Maybe your candidate is in the same bloodline? Replacement parts are almost never readily available for the vessel such as teak moulding, finger pulls for doors, teak louvers, etc- but the mechanicals installed new would be components familiar and readily available in the states. Running gear, steering, water pumps and windlasses (as an example) would be readily available. Good luck!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

ok so newbie and the thanks button does not post to the forum. Maybe does an email? Anyway - thanks for the info. We are beginning to look seriously and any info/advice is welcomed!

Don't look at one brand or type of boat.
Look at a lot of boats. Tall people step into my Willard and don't get 2' before they notice there's lots of headroom. W/o all the other experiences they wouldn't have a clue. You can get some real numbers on a boat. Fuel burn, power required to drive it, history, displacement ect. Don't take the brokers or owners statements as the truth. Especially if they sound odd.

There's a lot of features that don't spec out like the feeling of entering a cave to a gloomy cabin or a bright and cheery cabin w great visability. Look at many boats. Looking is fun, it's part of the game so take advantage of it and learn what you can and enjoy it. You and your checkbook are in the drivers seat.

Thanks Eric - we have been to several boat shows in the fort myers area and have friends in the Keys that live on their boat. I definitely understand what you mean by the cave feeling. Sailboats do that for my bride. We really like the looks of the Mainship 350/390 but I think it is out of our budget range for now.

Fortunately we are lifelong boaters starting on the freshwater lakes of Michigan and Indiana, then coming to Florida in 1990. It was culture shock using what we used to filet for bait...

Appreciate the advice - keep it coming!

Chien Trawler

If you are still looking for a Chien HWA Trawler...I have had one for years and like it very much. We are in the North Atlantic with cold and often harsh sea conditions and have never had a complaint with the boat. We find that our rather high bulwarks are a plus in heavy seas. The sharp bow entry causes us to cruise quite efficiently without pushing a bow wave along .

If you are still looking for a Chien HWA Trawler...I have had one for years and like it very much. We are in the North Atlantic with cold and often harsh sea conditions and have never had a complaint with the boat. We find that our rather high bulwarks are a plus in heavy seas. The sharp bow entry causes us to cruise quite efficiently without pushing a bow wave along .

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom