Teak decks on Eagle 32?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slipka

Hello all,

I'm looking at an Eagle 32. Quite nice, but the teak decks are not in great shape. The seller's broker believes the teak is glued down without screws (but with bungs for effect), and that taking up the teak would therefore be less costly.

Does anyone know how these are fastened?

Thanks.

Steve

Delta,
He may know something we don't.
One could take up a bung and withdraw a screw or observe their absence.

No need to send the guy verbally to the gallows.

Manyboats,

If the decks are in bad shape, bungs & screws are likely exposed and not hard to see if you get on your knees to look.

Sorry for the morbid humor, but comments by Brokers about how they think "positive" about any old teak deck drive me nuts!

Yeah, the manufacturer drills holes and fills them in just for effect.
Run his lips are moving and you know what that means.

Ask "old deckhand".

He has an Eagle 32 and May in fact know.

The seller's broker believes the teak is glued down without screws (but with bungs for effect), and that taking up the teak would therefore be less costly.

Does anyone know how these are fastened?

Well, anything is possible in the world of boat manufactures. Lord knows most of them have done really dumb things over the years. Installing hundreds of plugs "for effect" would be one of them.

However...... What year is the boat? It's my understanding that the practice of gluing down teak decks did not really get going until the late 1990s-2000s when high-end manufacturers like Fleming, Grand Banks, the big yacht manufacturers, etc. began doing it when adhesives specifically for this purpose were developed.

Sounded "optimistic" to me too... The boat's an 87 model. I didn't see any loose bungs, or I would have known the answer. Thanks all!

Steve

Our boat is a 1989 and only the aft cockpit deck is teak. All others are fiberglass. I understand the aft teak deck is glued down. I had the teak deck inspected a few months ago and the shipwright confirmed no issues. I suggest calling Transpacific to ask about the decks. Sorry I can not be more helpful.

Teak decks are problematic (from what I've been told on this forum). I continue to congratulate myself in dropping the option of teak decks on my boat and using the money saved to buy expensive air horns.

Our boat is a 1989 and only the aft cockpit deck is teak. All others are fiberglass. I understand the aft teak deck is glued down. I had the teak deck inspected a few months ago and the shipwright confirmed no issues. I suggest calling Transpacific to ask about the decks. Sorry I can not be more helpful.

Well, maybe there's an ounce of truth to it. I didn't see a number on the Transpacific site - just one at a major distributor in Texas. Thanks.

Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom