Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #18
Tidahapah
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Re: Ais

AIS Reply Quote Edit Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,
As part of my recent mini refit I purchased and fitted an AIS system.
After a lot of research and internet scanning I originally was going to get a unit from the US as it would be by far the least expensive way to go.
At the recent Sancutary Cove Boat show at the Gold Coast in Qld Aus I came upon a transponder kit (send & receive) from Oceantalk.
Complete kit under a $1000.00 (thats Aus dollars).
Kit included transponder box, VHF ant, GPS ant, cables for connection to computer or plotter and software.
After getting a a couple of brackets made for the ants it was a piece of piss to install and all up I had it running in about an hour or so.
I have it connected to my nav computer that runs Nobeltec VNS .

I have not used it in anger yet but only run it in port where it picks up any yacht, fishing boat running an AIS system.
It also picks up ships passing thru the pilot boarding grounds out to the east of Mooloolaba.

I think this is an excellent system and an absolute bonus for cruising out wide where the big boys go.
Having been at sea all my working life on tankers I know how we don't show up on radar and nobody takes any notice of the small cruiser.
Being able to track a close vessel , have their name and call sign is the absolute bonus.

Benn

This is from AIS discussion about July this year.
have used the system offshore since then and glad to have it as an extension of my Nav equipment
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote