New sun shade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's nice . They make a huge difference . We used ours this weekend .

I finally got around to refining my prototype cockpit shade shown in some earlier posts on this thread. I was inspired by Moonstruck's high end, retractable shade by SureShade. I was hoping for a manual retractable design but due to time constraints, that feature may come in a future version. I needed a cantilevered design to allow fishing. The cost needed to be MUCH less than the SureShade pricing.

This version is shorter (44 inches), utilizes light weight shade fabric ($35 from Costco) and is supported by a single 1/16 inch stainless steel cable from the radar mast. I found an upholstery company that sewed the fabric to spec for $50, so I've got about $100 into this so far. :thumb:

img_452386_0_abfd3745e724cca554b785b3f32ddb03.jpg

img_452386_1_bcd67a01f065f2fd6968a2cad982a3d0.jpg

img_452386_2_ef831c4debc0fc456feea9e8627dd3a9.jpg

My aim is that this lightweight, loose-weave fabric and smaller surface area will present lower windage for the lightweight frame. My previous model was too heavy and had too much surface area for the frame so while underway or when the wind kicked up, I'd tie it down with short lines.

The fabric releases from the fwd edge and slides aft along the poles to allow access to the FB ladder.

So now I have a new redneck shade to match my redneck fire hose rail covers.

Real slick Al....:thumb:

Very cool. How did you get so smart all of a sudden?:socool::thumb:

LOL! It was just a phase, Moon Unit. I'm back to normal now. :facepalm: :D

Thanks Craig and Blue. That first version was made from a drop cloth I had lying around. After 2 years, it was shot. I forgot about the fact that a rolled up pile of fabric on the FB on the bay will form mildew and mold. :confused: This UV tolerant shade fabric should do better. I expect this new cover to stay up year round but, if needed, it can be removed in about 5 minutes.

Taylormade makes a very versatile large shade that can be moved as the sun moves and can be set up in various locations on deck. It has tie-downs and a telescoping pole. On very hot afternoons, we have even set it to shade the side of the house as the sun goes down. They also make a smaller one that clamps on a rail. Maybe not as fun as making your own or adapting others, but it gets me to the reclining with a beer moment much quicker.

Excellent work, but I don't mind adding that I feel a bit diminished. I wish one of my projects would work out so nicely! What, no pink fabric?:popcorn:

Very nice Al . Brother got to have some shade .:dance:

Larry, if Costco had sold pink fabric at a discount, I would have considered it!!

Having no vertical supports or tiedowns allows freedom to swing a fishing rod for hookset and fish fighting.

Haven't seen one of those in AK and not even here in WA.

Last year was really hot and all indications are that this year will be hotter. If it turns out that way I may be highly motivated to move back to Alaska.

... I expect this new cover to stay up year round but, if needed, it can be removed in about 5 minutes.

Good job! Should be particularly useful in the Delta, sitting with feet up and an IPA in hand.

Another excuse not to use the flybridge. (Hate that ladder.)

We even set ours up undercover . Helps when the sun sneaks under the dock roof .,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom