Off to Alaska...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to Alaska!

Are you going to cross the gulf, or is this a explore Southeast adventure??

Enjoy!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3A97%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B95989%3A7%3A245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv475%3A%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B95974573245ot1lsi

Thanks! We will just be in SE Alaska this year, but might go up to PWS next summer.

I hadn't visited your blog since perhaps June 1st... Dang I had some serious catching up to do. Still need to go back and watch the pilot house tour videos.

Mark, your first photo appears similar to the east side of Swindel Island in BC.

Please note that I said similar to. I did not suggest that the photo was actually of Swindel Island.

Mark, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately some are not able to ready very well.

I hadn't visited your blog since perhaps June 1st... Dang I had some serious catching up to do. Still need to go back and watch the pilot house tour videos.

You only have catching up to do because I had catching up to do. I procrastinated on updates, then had no internet for a long stretch, then finally started writing everything off line. A few days ago I finally did a massive posting. But it's still about a week out of date. We are in Wrangell now and leave in a few hours for Petersburg, hopefully timing the currents correctly through Wrangell Narrows.

twisted,
Yes you need to time the tides in Wrangell Narrows and despite all the lighted nav aids you probably don't want to do that run at night. Done it many times on the when I worked on the ferries. It's a light show. All the lights on cans, buoys ect. Add their reflections off the water and it's real hard to tell one from another. Mark's never seen that.

Something far more stunning than the ice in Tracy Arm is Forjord's Terror down in the lower part of Endicott Arm .. next to Tracy Arm. Ford's Terror is a small inlet probably only receintly free of ice. Only a few minutes of slack water so you've got to come right back out or stay for 6 hours. The entrance is a dog leg so they call it the washing machine. A sort of a catamaran tour boat went in there out of Petersburg for years but it's long gone.

Last edited:
Just a FYI...

I found that the charts of Wrangel Narrows to be spot on. I did it at dusk and agree with Eric that it is not something you really want to do at night.

On the plus side, at the northern end is Petersburg and the harbor is well lighted.

We made it through Wrangell Narrows with no problem. Timed it perfectly and had maybe 1 kt of current behind us the whole way. We ate in Petersburg for a week, including the 4th for their celebration.

Petersburg is my favorite Alaskan town.
To visit.

4th of what

We made it through Wrangell Narrows with no problem. Timed it perfectly and had maybe 1 kt of current behind us the whole way. We ate in Petersburg for a week, including the 4th for their celebration.

Wrangel has one of the best 4th of July celebrations I've seen. Seems 11 or 12 years ago the fire department who puts on the fire works display had a complete ignition of all the fireworks at once and damned near burned down the dock they use to the water. They went to school after the fire and the next year put on probably the best fire works display I've ever seen.

Last edited:
The Petersburg 4th celebration is impressive. On our AK trip a few years ago our granddaughter joined in the parade and won $20 prize money. We all had a blast.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437665189.635769.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437665609.813988.jpg

Tanglewood,
I believe we saw you in Wrangell same time as myself this July. We were moored on the Reliance Dock. We come to Wrangell every year for the Fourth. Taking nothing away from Petersburg, Scary has made the main point. Both towns focus on children on the Fourth. Very little commercial or "All about Me" participation.
The Wrangell Queen candidates sell tickets at $1.00 with percentage of funds to cover the cost of the contest, drawing funds ($5000.00 1st pick and then lessor amounts) the major amount of funds is dedicated to the next year Fourth fireworks (1/2) and News Year fireworks (1/2) Are you ready??
The Queen contest raises over $65,000.00 each year. This from a local population of 1800 souls. The fireworks starts LATE about 11 PM for complete darkness. When it starts, WOW, for the next hour you are sharing a fireworks display second only to the Boston Pops display.
Don't miss it if you in the area. Plan on a early mooring as we are not the only boaters who come for this occasion. Viewing is excellent from the water as the display is shot in front of town on the water front.
Enjoy
Al

Yup, that's me. We'll be here for a few more days. My exhaust elbow wasn't sufficiently supported, and after 500 hrs one of the turbo mount studs broke and coolant started showering the engine room. Fortunately this happened as we were on our final leg into Juneau. The engine never even ran hot, but wow what a mess when I checked the ER after arrival.

Yup, that's me. We'll be here for a few more days. My exhaust elbow wasn't sufficiently supported, and after 500 hrs one of the turbo mount studs broke and coolant started showering the engine room. Fortunately this happened as we were on our final leg into Juneau. The engine never even ran hot, but wow what a mess when I checked the ER after arrival.

Wifey B: Even when one gets stuck somewhere it's great to be cruising. You won't run out of things to do or see in Juneau during these few days.

They love their children in Pburg.

And the fourth. But nuts about the forth is Alaska wide. The forth starts on June 4th and ends around the 4th of August in western Alaska.

They love their children in Pburg.

And the fourth. But nuts about the forth is Alaska wide. The forth starts on June 4th and ends around the 4th of August in western Alaska.

Yes, they are celebrating the stars, stripes, and daylight.

Back
Top Bottom