Correct stain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmorris

Vessel Name
Barefoot Key
Vessel Make
Marine trader laBelle 40
To all the Taiwan trawler owners, I am restoring a badly mistreated 40 ft marine trader, have replaced much of the salon interior after rebedding the sliding windows. I now have natural wood that needs staining to come close to the original. Any suggestions?

For teak I use a red mahogany stain, oil based, diluted 50% with Japan dryer. I add a small amount of tung oil. Mahogany is tuffer to get the match. And it needs to be filled. I use filtered sanding dust, either teak or mahogany, for a better color match, mixed with TiteBond Hide Glue. Regular glue wont stain, hide glue will. I put a little red stain in the filler. Let it dry then lite sand. Mix the stain/japan dryer progressivly redder (more stain) until you get the color needed.

Thanks. It's teak, was playing with fed mahogany, felt like it was a little browner, but I will try the 50% solution you mention. You lost me with mixing the glue, how do you apply that?

You dont need it with teak, no filler required. Use the bombay mahogany cut 50% with japan dryer. Then let it set a few days. Teak is funny about that, it changes color.

After a few days hit it with Tung oil cut 50% with Japan dryer. Wipe a coat on every morning for several days, you will be amazed after a week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom