Removing waters spots on plastic cowling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Does anyone know of a compound or cleaner that can take water spots of a plastic cowling? I've tried a sort of cleaners at no avail.

ammoina and water mix, or get a bottle of WINK, its a carpet cleaner but it works great on water spots,do a little section at a time and wipe with water

Oliver, I get almost mould like spotting on a plastic cowl. It comes clean with Autosol Marine Shine polish (made in Germany), but it comes back. I`ll be watching the responses too.

Oliver, I get almost mould like spotting on a plastic cowl. It comes clean with Autosol Marine Shine polish (made in Germany), but it comes back. I`ll be watching the responses too.

Mines not not quite that, I think they came from when we towed it for a day and a half continuos and the sun dried the salt on. You can only see it in a glare, or of you run your hand over the surface.

Thanks all with the suggestions, will give them a shot.

... I think they came from when we towed it for a day and a half continuous and the sun dried the salt on...
Yours sound like the salt, a deliquescent water absorbing substance, drew on the plastic. Polish, and maybe Armor-all as a useful detailing product.

White vinegar is always a product I try for stains and water deposits. Just don't let it dry on the surface. Wet surface, apply vinegar, let it "work" for a few minutes, rub with microfiber or soft brush and rinse.

I've had good luck with a product called "CLR". Wipe it on, move it around a bit with a rag to wipe off the spots, then wash it off.

If silicone based cleaners can disolve the glue in inflatables....wonder if the same can get under and assist in the removal of many things on clear vinyl, plastics.

Do you know what the material is? Can you find out from the manufacturer what is good or bad for it?

Before I tried something I knew was good for salt removal...I would be danged sure it didn't hurt vinyl/plastics.

White vinegar is always a product I try for stains and water deposits. Just don't let it dry on the surface. Wet surface, apply vinegar, let it "work" for a few minutes, rub with microfiber or soft brush and rinse.

+1 to thr vinegar. And use your RO water with it. The vinegar resolves the salt and the RO water absorbs it.

Then polish the cowling and coat it with Zaino, Rejex or some other polymer coating to make it easier to clean off in the future. You could go high tech and ceramic coat it.

Last edited:
It's a cowling on a evinrude etec.

It's a cowling on a evinrude etec.

Try an automotive Clay bar... Great for etched windows too where normal cleaners will not work..

If the vinegar doesn't do it try toothpaste. If that doesn't do it try Collinite Fiberglass Cleaner. If for some reason you are still stumped (btw all the aforementioned are useful in a boat anyway) invest in some Prism Polish a great product where a little goes a long way and thus really isn't as expensive as it seems. X2 on then treating with Rejex or Zaino or the like.

Wow so many suggestions! Thanks guys, will give them a try.

Careful. I have a 2010 ETEC 130. The engine cover is painted plus a special clearcoat on top of the paint. Go easy on the cleaners as too abrasive a cleaner could mar the clearcoat or worse. Try the vinegar first. Bon Ami might work. It's not supposed to scratch paint, etc. Google removing acid rain spots off auto glass for more tips.

Does anyone know of a compound or cleaner that can take water spots of a plastic cowling? I've tried a sort of cleaners at no avail.

Try the above recommendations, say a prayer, and mail your deck shoes to me.

The vinegar worked! Thanks all who contributed!:)

I ain't sending no shoes back, i just broke them in!:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom