Tell Us About Your Gulfstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ours is a 1975 Mrk II 36. In pretty good shape but needs some paint. It is the owners stateroom layout with a double sized berth aft.

Attachments

• DSCN0848.jpg
    DSCN0848.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 427
Gulfstar 36

I have a 1973 "Knot Again" Bought the boat last year in Detroit. Went across Lake Erie, all of the Erie Canal system (Senneca,Oswego,Champlain) down the Hudson, down NJ, up the Delaware, down the Chesapeake, met Sandy in Baltimore:hide:, the boat is now at AYB.
Great boat has done more then expected! Last boat was a Nordhavn, We kept in the Northwest for the last 7 years.
Rick

AYB? Annapolis Yacht Brokers? Just across the bay from us:thumb:

I have a 1973 "Knot Again" Bought the boat last year in Detroit. Went across Lake Erie, all of the Erie Canal system (Senneca,Oswego,Champlain) down the Hudson, down NJ, up the Delaware, down the Chesapeake, met Sandy in Baltimore:hide:, the boat is now at AYB.
Great boat has done more then expected! Last boat was a Nordhavn, We kept in the Northwest for the last 7 years.
Rick

Ours is a 1975 Mrk II 36. In pretty good shape but needs some paint. It is the owners stateroom layout with a double sized berth aft.

Nice picture. Looked at a few GS's before buying the MT. Is your power twin Perkins?

We looked at a Present on Kent Island, but someone else beat us to it.

Yes we have twin 4.236s with 3600 hours, still run fine.

Nice picture. Looked at a few GS's before buying the MT. Is your power twin Perkins?

We looked at a Present on Kent Island, but someone else beat us to it.

Ayb

Atlantic Yacht Basin. Chesapeke, Va

We have a 1973 36 foot Mk 1. Bought it cheap and have been restoring it for two years. Hope to launch this summer. Love the look of the 44s, but the 36 will be more than enough boat for the two of us. Best of luck to you!

Rick - what new adventures do you have planned for this year?

Have a 1973 MK1 trawler, Sangria Nites, based in Galveston, TX. If you're in the Galveston Yacht Basin say hi.

Does anybody have a 38 footer with the twin Perkins 85HP engines that they can tell me about fuel usage and reliability?

We have a sistership to yours. Our hull # is 65, also built in 79.

I was fooled at first by the nav/work station til I read the ad, where it told about the forward head being removed and replaced.

If you ever have any questions...feel free to ask. We've had Just a Tinch since 2007...live aboard full time, and we've done a lot of work on her since acquiring her.

The boat you've got an offer/contract on looks really nice!! Just curious, what is her hull number....the two digits after the GFS044.... Also, I have a friend in the same marina with a sistership also....and he can supply tons of information as well.

Thanks! There's no such thing as too much info :). The Admiral is less than totally thrilled with the idea that there's only one head now, but I'm not giving up the nav station. We may try to work a head only back in once she's all ours, perhaps by putting in a shallow cold plate install in place of the reefer, and putting a head in the area behind it.

I've heard that blistering can be a problem on some models, but that the ones made later than 1978 were a little better. Have you had any problems in that area?

I'm at work and don't have the hull number in front of me, but I'll add it when I can. I'm going back down to Great Bridge this evening in prep for the survey and sea trial tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Thurman

I was fooled at first by the nav/work station til I read the ad, where it told about the forward head being removed and replaced.

If you ever have any questions...feel free to ask. We've had Just a Tinch since 2007...live aboard full time, and we've done a lot of work on her since acquiring her.

The boat you've got an offer/contract on looks really nice!! Just curious, what is her hull number....the two digits after the GFS044.... Also, I have a friend in the same marina with a sistership also....and he can supply tons of information as well.

Nice photos! I have a question in your album, what is the botom thru hull for on OnthehardinIndiantown021-1.jpg

I have been in slips when the tide went out that I would be this far up the keel in mud.

Letitia's hull number is 53.

Thanks! There's no such thing as too much info :). The Admiral is less than totally thrilled with the idea that there's only one head now, but I'm not giving up the nav station. We may try to work a head only back in once she's all ours, perhaps by putting in a shallow cold plate install in place of the reefer, and putting a head in the area behind it.

I've heard that blistering can be a problem on some models, but that the ones made later than 1978 were a little better. Have you had any problems in that area?

I'm at work and don't have the hull number in front of me, but I'll add it when I can. I'm going back down to Great Bridge this evening in prep for the survey and sea trial tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Thurman

Thurman.... We've had zero problems really with blisters. I popped a couple of little ones when we were on the hard and took care of them, about three...less than 1/4 the size of a dime.... on the whole hull. She had been in the water for 5 years on the same paint job....and at survey she had zero blisters. So no we haven't had any problems.

Good luck on the survey and sea trial!! :thumb:

Rob

Letitia's hull number is 53.

A little older than ours.... Now, I don't know about where you reside, but here in FL...a boat 30 years old and older is considered an "Antique Vessel" and the cost of state registration stickers is about 1/25th of the normal. You might want to check on your home states rules....

Nice photos! I have a question in your album, what is the botom thru hull for on OnthehardinIndiantown021-1.jpg

I have been in slips when the tide went out that I would be this far up the keel in mud.

On the port side lower, toward the rear...the lowest one is the toilet intake for the aft head, and there is on low on that side with a clamshell for one of the air conditioners, and one clamshell for the port engine intake.

I've been in slips where I've bumped bottom.....but I've never left one of those slips except at high tide.

Thanks on the pics!

I have a 1976 Gulfstar Mark II currently under contract. The initial hull survey passed and I'm waiting on the sea trial. The boat is equipped with a pair of Perkins 4-236 85hp diesels and a 8kw Westerbeke 1800rpm generator. The boat is currently on the Middle River in Maryland. I'll keep it there for the next 2 months while I upgrade her before taking her through the C&D the Delaware Bay through the Cape May canal and possibly up the Jersey ICW or run on the outside to Little Egg Tuckerton NJ to my home marina.
The boats got lots of potential and this won't be my 1st upgrade of a boat. Although I'm hoping it's the last for awhile.
I am seriously thinking of removing the upper helm and making it into a Sedan Trawler.
I captain her a bit before I decide if that's as practical as I think it should be.
We only found 2 spots with minor blistering that are going to be repaired.
Billylll
Current boat Wireless One
Little Egg, Tuckerton NJ
1993 40 Mainship Sedan Bridge

Last edited:
I have a 1976 Gulfstar Mark II currently under contract. ... The boat is currently on the Middle River in Maryland. I'll keep it there for the next 2 months while I upgrade her before taking her through the C&D the Delaware Bay through the Cape May canal and possibly up the Jersey ICW or run on the outside to Little Egg Tuckerton NJ to my home marina.

Maybe while you're in the Chesapeake, you can get a chance to come down to Annapolis for a bit before you take Wireless Too home :)

-Chris

Chris I'm sure we will hook up prior to me bringing the boat back to Jersey. Who knows I might like the Chesapeake and end up staying.
Billylll

I need to update my original post. My 1976 36 Gulfstar MarkII has the twin 4-154 Perkins diesels not the 4-236 85hp engines. I'm actually quite happy with the sea trial I had yesterday. There are 2 issues that the owner is paying to fix a Westerbeke generator that's not running correctly and the potable freshwater system isn't working I think it's either a 12VDC issue or the pump. The pump motor and the pump do spin freely by hand, it's a belt drive unit it could be as simple as a defective sender on the pump. I believe both issues are minor and if the generator issue ends up not being simple we have already agreed to a fairly sizable discount of the already low asking price. I have a spare new (less than 20 hour) Yanmar powered 8kw maranized diesel generator I could have installed. The Westerbeke is not the original and it only has 690 hours on it. It runs just doesn't come up to speed and because of that it doesn't output any AC. I have confidence in the diesel mechanic hired by the current owners.
I should officially own the boat before next weekend. The survey is complete less the freshwater and generator issues.
Bill

Be cautious of older generators with low hours. Generators like to be used not rested.

Sort of lucky the generator is only 6 years old. So it's an upgrade.
I'm hoping for the best preparing in case it doesn't come to life.
Bill

The generator ended up being a bad oil pressure switch. It starts right up and I ran it at almost full load for 2 hours +1.
Bill

Great news, Bill! You've probably been busy with the initial maintenance issues like fluids, impellers and filters. Keep us posted on your progress.

Great news, Bill! You've probably been busy with the initial maintenance issues like fluids, impellers and filters. Keep us posted on your progress.
Al this was a unique purchase before the boat was purchased it was laid up for 4 years so I got the owners permission to bring in my own mechanic and a tank/ fuel polishing service. The tank was opened the dip rods cleaned the tank was cleaned and inspected but 180 gallons of fuel had to be removed and disposed. Next I had the diesel mechanic change the Sherwood impellers, replace coolant, hoses, belts, replace all oil and filters and replace engines and generators primary and secondary fuel filters. In addition the valves on the Perkins were checked and adjusted. The thermostats were changed. The generator needed the oil sender replaced. I wanted the best possible outcome considering the engines sat for 4 years. It turned out great.
Bill

Last edited:
Right now the Fuel fill hose and vent hose are being replaced, some hoses are being double clamped, the port rudder had some blistering that's being repaired and the boats get a full detail. The detail includes removing the old painted ships name and home port. I have something going on between the marina and a member here with removing the upper helm.
I start working on it this coming week and want her back in NJ for the July 4th holiday.
Bill

Soon to be 43 MK11 owner

We will be bringing ours home to the Watts Bar Lake at end of this month, she's 1976 and in very good condition so we are looking forward to some cruising soon. We are lucky enough to live on the lake and have a dock (which we have to enlarge a bit). We looked at many Trawlers but the room, layout looks and engines sold the GS for us. Will let you know how we get on and probably come up with all sorts of questions.

Back
Top Bottom