Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"instead of a simple terminal block for the DC connection...sure enough the factory installed an outlet and regular old 110 plug.nicely labeled though."

A house plug and sockets are great for DC as they wipe and clean when the plug goes in.

With most boats having no 240v items , the use of a 15A or 20A plug an socket built in the 240V style is a great way to power DC items of less than 20A.

These are cheap (in boat terms) and work well as DC supplys as the ground pin (not hooked up ) works to self polarize the circuit.

About 3X the current caring ability of a std cigar lighter socket and plug.

A boat with a genuine 240v socket and plug need can simply use a std 240V with a 30A plug and socket so there is no confusion.
All true enough...knew the 240 plug trick from my days at the marine electronics firm I worked for...had their test bench wired up that way 110/12V right next to each other buy different socket/plugs.

I have a few of the 240 sockets wired for 12V too as I detest cigarette light lighter receptacle/plug combos.

But in the case of the refrigerator...for a dedicated circuit that is buried well...why add a plug and socket when either butt connectors or a terminal strip would have been fine. Access under the forward vee berth to the terminal strip would have been fine. Guess the builder had their reasons...just better if not a standard socket.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote