Sherwood Impeller Puller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Anyone have experience using one of these Sherwood impeller pullers? They look nice and simple compared to the old Sea Dog type of pullers. The Sherwood costs less than half of the other type, and with their poor pump reputation I'm concerned that the tool actually works...

Here's a link to the tool in question: Impeller Puller - Sherwood | Fisheries Supply

Thanks!

Greetings,
Mr. M. So does this thing cut threads on the inside of the brass bushing? I wouldn't spent the $15 to try. My Sherwoods were replaced with Johnsons so I have exactly the same set up as far as removal goes. Thus far I have been fortunate to be able to gently pry with screwdrivers to facilitate impeller removal without damage to the housing.

Before I replaced the Sherwood pump on our Cummins with a Tony Athens SMX pump, a pair of these did the job, sorta.

Attachments

• Needle nose.jpg
    Needle nose.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 138
Mr. Firefly, you ask a good question. I assumed (and yes, I know what that means...) that the Jabsco impellers I have are already threaded on the inside. I have quite a few replacement impellers aboard, so I might have to open one, see if it has threads, and put into a ziplock for long term - I hope - storage.

And I just replaced both main impellers last year about this time, so I didn't bother to even look if they were threaded. At that time I used a combination of needle nose pliers, screw drivers and four letter words to get the darn things out. I figure if I need to do that again while underway or in the boonies somewhere, I would rather have a puller on hand.

So maybe I should ask a follow up question: do the $40 Sea Dog type impeller pullers work well?

Thanks!

Before I replaced the Sherwood pump on our Cummins with a Tony Athens SMX pump, a pair of these did the job, sorta.

That was sorta my experience, too!

Greetings,
Mr. M. Any replacement impellers I've ever seem have NOT been threaded. I cannot comment on ANY pullers as I've never used one. I may live to regret that decision although I DO have a pretty good stock of cuss words myself.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. M. Any replacement impellers I've ever seem have NOT been threaded. I cannot comment on ANY pullers as I've never used one. I may live to regret that decision although I DO have a pretty good stock of cuss words myself.

The SMX impellers are threaded and you get an impeller puller with them. Work great. Now getting the new impeller in is a bit of a different story. Cuss words definitely needed.

I have the puller, and the impellers (at least for my 1700 series pumps) are definitely threaded. I've used it twice. The first time I had to hammer the crap out of the handle to get the impeller out. The other engine, the impeller came out slick as **** thru a goose. I think the key is to lube the shaft copiously when installing a new impeller so that it comes out easily next time.

Anyone have experience using one of these Sherwood impeller pullers? They look nice and simple compared to the old Sea Dog type of pullers. The Sherwood costs less than half of the other type, and with their poor pump reputation I'm concerned that the tool actually works...

Here's a link to the tool in question: Impeller Puller - Sherwood | Fisheries Supply

Thanks!

They work quite well. I use one on the current boat I run.

But obviously they only work on the impellers that have threaded bushings.

The SMX impellers are threaded and you get an impeller puller with them. Work great. Now getting the new impeller in is a bit of a different story. Cuss words definitely needed.

Next time fold the blades over with a wire tie or hose clamp. Then slip it in and move the clamp or tie out as you go. Or fold and wrap the blades down with string that you can pull out after you've slipped the impeller in.

Moonfish, yes the Seadog pullers are a pretty good knock off of the Jabsco pullers at about half the price.

Dave, I truly hate the Sherwood pump that came on my 6bt5.9m. You can't change the impeller without pulling the hoses off. Why couldn't they have put a removable cover on the damn thing! I wish Jabsco or SMX would make a replacement for it.

I modified my Jabsco puller by replacing the plastic handle bolts with regular bolts and cutting the T handle down. Much easier to use in a confined space. Also I spray the inside of the pump with soapy water before pulling the old impeller out. Makes it easier to slide out.

Dave, I truly hate the Sherwood pump that came on my 6bt5.9m. You can't change the impeller without pulling the hoses off. Why couldn't they have put a removable cover on the damn thing! I wish Jabsco or SMX would make a replacement for it.

Huh? I don't need to pull no stinkin' hoses off. A fuel cooler hose is in the way a bit but that's all on our 6BTA.

Next time fold the blades over with a wire tie or hose clamp. Then slip it in and move the clamp or tie out as you go. Or fold and wrap the blades down with string that you can pull out after you've slipped the impeller in.

Have tried that. Worked okay on the old Sherwood impellers. Doesn't work for me with the SMX ones. The SMX impellers are stiffer and thicker than the Sherwood ones. Thinking of using a piston ring compressor next time.

Dave, the BTA uses a different pump. On the BT the pump doesn't have a cover plate. You have to remove the whole pump body to get at the impeller. It is a PITA.

Dave, the BTA uses a different pump. On the BT the pump doesn't have a cover plate. You have to remove the whole pump body to get at the impeller. It is a PITA.

Whoa! What were they thinking?

I have Sherwood pumps, the impellers are threaded, and I have that puller. It works well enough, but there's not a lot of room in our installation for the handle to rotate. OTOH, the handle is useful when actual "pulling" and "pushing" is necessary.

FWIW, I bought a couple hex-head bolts, one 3" and one 4", from McMaster-Carr, with the same threads. That way I can put a socket on the bolt head and use that to back the impellers out.

-Chris

I was concerned that a hose clamp might cut into the blades... bought one of these (Piston Ring Compressor) at Sears for installing impellers.
Haven't used it myself but a marina neighbor used it last wkend and reported it worked great. A little dish soap or your favorite lube:confused: helps.

Also... My Johnson impellers ARE threaded and they sell a simple puller - haven't had a need to try mine out yet.

Have tried that. Worked okay on the old Sherwood impellers. Doesn't work for me with the SMX ones. The SMX impellers are stiffer and thicker than the Sherwood ones. Thinking of using a piston ring compressor next time.

I made my own plastic piston ring compressor for just this purpose. Might work for you too - take a look at the link below.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Raw water impeller "end plug"?

For removing reluctant impellers (slide-in not threaded) you can't beat Jabsco impeller extractors. And no, I don't get a sales commission!

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Stuck Impellers

I made my own plastic piston ring compressor for just this purpose. Might work for you too - take a look at the link below.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Raw water impeller "end plug"?

For removing reluctant impellers (slide-in not threaded) you can't beat Jabsco impeller extractors. And no, I don't get a sales commission!

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Stuck Impellers

Can't tell from your pic, but did you make a vertical cut in the ice cream container?

Can't tell from your pic, but did you make a vertical cut in the ice cream container?

It was a one gallon ice cream container. I just cut a parallel-sided strip about 2" wide by 12" long from the side of it. Wrap it around itself a couple of times until it is a tad larger than the impeller, adjust hose clamp to fit and Voila!

It was a one gallon ice cream container. I just cut a parallel-sided strip about 2" wide by 12" long from the side of it. Wrap it around itself a couple of times until it is a tad larger than the impeller, adjust hose clamp to fit and Voila!

Thanks. Added to my to do list. But... how do you first get rid of a gallon of ice cream? :ermm:

Cheaper than dirt at any hardware store...

Attachments

• Impeller Puller 003 (1280x720).jpg
    Impeller Puller 003 (1280x720).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 193
I want one, but what hardware store?

I was concerned that a hose clamp might cut into the blades... bought one of these (Piston Ring Compressor) at Sears for installing impellers.
Haven't used it myself but a marina neighbor used it last wkend and reported it worked great. A little dish soap or your favorite lube:confused: helps.

Also... My Johnson impellers ARE threaded and they sell a simple puller - haven't had a need to try mine out yet.

Yes piston ring compresses do work. And as someone else noted you can rig up a DIY one as well.

I got mine at Home Depot. It is a BrassCraft "Handle and Sleeve Puller" for removing faucet handles and compression sleeves, in the Plumbing Section.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom