Nordic tug fuel economy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingspar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
White Star
Vessel Make
Canoe Cove
Can anybody with a 42' tell me what their fuel usage is at 8 - 9 knots????

Dave

This is only exactly a year late.

Mine has the 330 Cummins and burns about*4 gph at 8.75 kts (1800 rpm). A little more if the gen set is running. I just got back from a trip where I burned 174 gallons in 41 engine hours. About a third of the time the 12.5 NL*gen set was running because it was in the 90's here in SW Florida and one of the nice things about a pilot house is that you can turn on the A/C if you are hot.

Doc

-- Edited by Doc on Saturday 21st of November 2009 04:06:26 PM

-- Edited by Doc on Saturday 21st of November 2009 04:07:02 PM

Doc,Are you the only Nordic owner in TF? I'm looking at an old 32. May go down and see it in January. Hope I like it and that the decks aren't soft.

Do the decks have a history of softness????

John,Only talking to the broker so don't know much yet. Want to do the boat show gig and look at boats then. Since your'e a pilot perhaps you could make the meet eh?

nomadwilly wrote:Hope I like it and that the decks aren't soft.
I've not heard that NTs have any problem with this.* They don't have teak deck planking so don't have ten zillion screws down into the deck.* So the only way I could imagine their having a deck core problem is if there is a localized leak where railing stanchions or other harware are screwed down.* And I don't even know if NTs have a cored deck.* They may have a solid fiberglass deck for all I know.* Be easy enough to find out--- just e-mail or call the factory here in Washington.

Yes. Thank you Marin. I think they have bulsa cored decks*** ...I'll call tomorrow. Maybe the Monk has cored decks too.

I am pretty sure most boats have cored decks. It adds stiffness and strength....just like any composite structure.

My decks are not soft. Many NT's do have a problem with gelcoat cracking in the cockpit. Mine has a few cracks there and what is bewildering is that there is a bulkhead directly underneath in the lazarette. Someone said that the skin was too thin there. Nowhere, however, are my decks spongy nor are there leaks underneath.

Baker wrote:

I am pretty sure most boats have cored decks. It adds stiffness and strength....just like any composite structure.
Most boats will have balsa cored decks for supeior*insulation qualities.* Most cored hulls are foam cored because foam is less expensive than balsa.

My boat has a solid fiberglass hull (as much as 2" thick at the bow)*and*cored topsides - balsa on horizontal surfaces, foam on vertical surfaces.

-- Edited by alohaboat on Friday 24th of December 2010 09:18:03 AM

Doc wrote:

NT's do have a problem with gelcoat cracking in the cockpit. Mine has a few cracks there and what is bewildering is that there is a bulkhead directly underneath in the lazarette
The hairline cracks that can develop in gelcoat are stress cracks and they don't have to be related to structural support or stiffness at all.* The "tension" in the contour of the fiberglass can sometimes be enough to cause the gelcoat to crack over time.

It's called crazing...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom