Seeking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rochepoint

Guru
Vessel Name
Roche Point
Vessel Make
1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Well went to go away for the weekend and the boat had a hiccup, can't remember the last time she let us down......:nonono:

Started up the Perkins 6.354m and noticed the tach was not reading, then noticed the voltage was only showing the voltage that the batteries had and not charging. I am guessing the 30 year alternator has given up the ghost.

Wondering what you would do, new higher tech alternator or rebuild?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. r. Just looked up the weather for Sidney. Warm and sunny. Sit on board and drink beer. In my case, root beer with a fishin' line over the side. Next best thing to cruising is being aboard.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Rebuild

I'm notoriously cheap though and do not believe in upgrading something that works fine just for the sake of upgrading. If the new tech wiz bang gadget was so great you'd have at least been thinking about doing it before this one gave up the ghost.

First I'd remove and test at the local alternator shop. If it's bad, I'd rebuild with modifications to up the output, if needed. It shouldn't cost much. Then if you find the need to upgrade at a later date, you'll have a good spare.

I agree. Drink beer... Then have the unit rebuilt.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

First make sure it's not a loose/broken wire on something else simple before you pull it.

First make sure it's not a loose/broken wire on something else simple before you pull it.

Good point. My OEM alternator on the port side has a couple of slide-on spade connectors. One fell off after bumping against it during some routine engine maintenance.

Greetings,
Mr. r. Just looked up the weather for Sidney. Warm and sunny. Sit on board and drink beer. In my case, root beer with a fishin' line over the side. Next best thing to cruising is being aboard.

giphy.gif

Mr. RTF
That wouldn't be Specher Root beer would it? :D:D
Yes we had a R&C, enjoyed the sun and warm weather. Then took the 2 minute drive home. Tomorrow I will pull it off and have it tested.

I have been thinking of an upgrade for years but now maybe just a rebuild as it has never been a problem, besides it gives me an excuse to run the genset every now and then.
Thanks.....:thumb:

Attachments

• sprecher-hard-rootbeer.jpg
    sprecher-hard-rootbeer.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 84
IF it worked fine for 30 years , a rebuild would seem the answer.

Went to the boat today to check the output with a meter and found a small broken single strand wire at the plug for the alternator. Replace the entire wire from the plug to the oil pressure switch and everything is working.

Why would Perkins use such a small single strand wire at the plug when the other two wires in it are multi stand, is it used for a special reason?

:thumb::dance::thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced my 30 year old Perkins alternator (Delco) with an ARCO 60122 when the voltage regulator died this spring.
http://arcomarine.com/xhtml/Pages%2052-59%20Alternators.pdf
It was not an exact fit and required a few Grade 8 washers for correct spacing and pulley alignment. The output cable needed to be upgraded to #2 AWG. The tach sensor wire need to be changed to a #10 ring terminal.
On startup with the engine at 1000 rpm the measured output was 107 amps at a solid 14.3 volts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom