interior custom cabinet/settee ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sausalito

Hello,
My wife and I just bought a PT 38 and are interested in building a cabinet and settee unit in the salon. This model has 3 large engine access panels in the floor of the salon which, when removed, allow great access but open up almost the entire floor. There still seems enough room on starboard side to build a cabinet with a helm seat and foot rest connected to a settee. There is only a couch there now and a barstool type chair for the lower helm.

Does anyone know of a set of plans or book that might address this need ?

I might find a local shipwright to draw out everything then build it myself but that cost could be avoided if I had some working plans to go off of. I have the time and enough skill in woodshop to do this. Thank you for any information.

Jim/Penelope

This is what we did . Might give you an idea .put cubby holes with doors that drop down under the seat and drawers under the step .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 133
Here it is finished .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 143
My Nova Heritage has a built In settee added to the main salon. Under the "bench" part are two large blanket boxes that hold a lot and can be pulled out to use as ottoman/footrests as well. Send me your email and I'll shoot you some pictures.

Man, that is some sweet work, Marty. Could you do that to mine when you get a chance?

Photo LOOKS good but, a slab of plywood with upholstry on top may not be very comfortable for long.

Couches and car seats ( Springs) are built the way they are for a purpose!

Photo LOOKS good but, a slab of plywood with upholstry on top may not be very comfortable for long.

You're right it's only comfortable for a little bit . We needed storage so it was a trade off . I would like to get a nice helm chair sometime but I would have to rip all this out and start over .

Beautiful work pack mule!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Other than a "home" couch I have never seen a boat with a spring seat.. spent time on multi million dollar boats and not a one.. a PROPERLY built multi density cushion is plenty comfortable.

HOLLYWOOD

If I understand you correctly, part of the hatches intrude on the footprint of what you would like to build. I have built dinettes in two boats that overhung the engine hatches.
One, had a false floor (deck) under the whole thing overhanging the hatches 7"-8" spaced 5"-6" up off the main deck. This allowed the hatches to be removed. I may have a picture.
Second, no false floor but the seating overhung the hinged hatches but the base & drawers did not. Picture attached.

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Not Tagged 054.jpg
    Not Tagged 054.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
yes, thanks for all input

Thanks for these comments. I do like the bench seat/cabinetry set up, very nice and, for me, a seat that becomes a bit less comfortable after four hours on a six hour watch is a good thing; keeps me alert.

Yes, my problem to solve is exactly that the engine hatches do intrude on footprint of where I need to build. I have to have a plan for a less deep settee/cabinet unit that might still work (maybe only for sitting, not wide enough for adult berth as an extra). I also have the question of a table in front of unit. If fixed and short enough for a single adjustable post it would have to be bolted to a hatch cover. that seems very awkward. A table that is not fixed is fine in the slip but outside the Golden Gate it is usually not a good thing. Have you ever seen a table top that swings out from a settee , integrated, collapsible but sturdy ?

...a PROPERLY built multi density cushion is plenty comfortable. HOLLYWOOD

:thumb: When we replaced the foam on cushions and backs, I realized what a difference in quality/build there is. And don't take the word the guy doing the work that's good foam. You get what you pay for. After 3 yeas the "new" foam was in worst shape that the original foam that was 11 plus years old and had heavy use.

One hassle with foam is the "dual purpose" nonsense.

The density required to sit on is vastly different from what is used to sleep on.

Sleep the sleep on the dropped dinette table deal doesn't work well.

"Other than a "home" couch I have never seen a boat with a spring seat.. spent time on multi million dollar boat"

Once the boat is large enough purchased seats and couches seem to be the norm.,,,40 Meters , not 40 feet.

However the RV industry provides a vast assortment of real comfortable interior items..

For 40 ft , here are a few,

1. RV Furniture at Glastop - Glastop.com‎

Adwww.glastop.com/‎
    1. Flexsteel and Villa. For over 30 years, Large Selection, Low Prices

1. Flexsteel Furniture: Products

www.flexsteel.com/vehicle-seating/products
    <li class="g">Flexsteel Vehicle Seating for Motor Homes, RVs, Travel Trailers & 5th Wheels and Marine Seating for the Helm, Above Deck and Below Deck.‎Sofa Sleepers - ‎Chairs & Recliners - ‎Motor Home Seating - ‎Bucket Seats

<li class="g">RV Furniture, Boat Furniture, Flexsteel, Flexsteel Furniture ...

https://www.braddandhall.com/

Bradd and Hall, a Flexsteel Furnitre dealer, has been selling RV furniture, Marine furniture, and Boat furniture for over 20 years. We carry seating products by ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom