Well balanced boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Anyone we know?

Attachments

• balanced  boat.jpg
    balanced boat.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 72
dwhatty wrote:

Anyone we know?
Don't know who it is, but I believe that incident took place fairly recently in South Puget Sound.

Another reason for having a steel boat with a keel-protected shaft/propeller.*
teddy.gif

"Otto" was driving, the capt. was below doing one of his engine checks!
(B.S.)
Steve W.

Notice he had the presence of mind to remove or obscure the name from the outside and take town his Yacht club burgee.

Notice he didn't have the "presence of mind" to get the ell out of the way if the boat should roll over. Hope it didn't.

Yah!! Same boat, same back ground so this is a rehash.

Hope no one got hurt. We've seen the results on some groundings and it doesn't take much speed to toss people around and someone get hurt.

I have almost has a first hand intimate relation of the third kind with that rock but it was only a passing relationship but a couple of feet.* The depth alarm suddenly came on and scared the heck out of me.* Had to change my pants when we got to the dock.* I learn to zoom down when entering narrow channels as a couple of feet can maker a big difference. *The entrance to Port Ludlow is narrow and the illusion of wide open water.* I try to enter/depart on high tide and with fog many mornings you are running by instruments. *Your favorite is Pleasant harbor further down HoodsCanal about 15 miles but again have to enter at high tide to get over the bar.

La Conner as many fames rocks/bars that boater tend to go a ground as it look like big open water that you can cut across and the channel is very narrow maybe 200 ft and not the deep.* Every year one of the boat magazines publishes the most favorite places to go a ground.* Ludlow and La Conner always make the list.*

The owner is very lucky the boat did not roll over as many of them do.* Each year on one of the local magazine post the top 10 most popular places boater lover to go a ground and Ludlow and La Conner make the list every year.* Foss Tug has a humungous barge that can pick up a 50+ ton boat and set it on its deck.* The Malibu, gorgeous 1930, 75 ft, went a ground a La Conner.* Cut the corner to sharp, no damage until it rolled over.* The owner is invest 1.5 million over the insurance to restore.*

If you are going to the Seattle Boat A float it its moored NW of the show, in our old marina.* The Thea*Foss, 100 ft steel, 1930,*is*down there also tht use to crash through docks.* While at the afloat the Classic wood show is on the SW side of the show.* If you like old classic boats Lake Union is the place with a lot of boating history.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 19th of December 2010 08:39:35 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 19th of December 2010 08:43:55 AM

Speaking of the Thea Foss......

Attachments

• dscn1000.jpg
    dscn1000.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 67
SteveH wrote:

Speaking of the Thea Foss......
Sweet old boat!!! About ten years ago, we arrived in Bedwell Harbor (now Poet's Nook) right after the Thea Foss had a minor accident due to an inability to get it out of reverse. I think about half the boats in the marina were damaged, as well half the docks.

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 19th of December 2010 02:24:14 PM

When we moored on LakeUnion we were expected to keep the Eagle in the same yacht condition as the Thea and Malibu.* We were on the Ocean Alexander dock where million dollar 50 to 100 foot boats were sold. People would walk right passed the Eagle gawk at the mega yachts.* *Foss Tug pulls her ever spring to retro fit/paint and has a full time crew to maintain her.* She is steel rivet which is a lost trade.* *Speaking of riveted, what happen to the young man that bought an old rivet boat on the east coast that was on PMM?* I forgot his name? ***
Thea used to be direct drive, which mean the engine had to be shut down, the cam switch over and restarted in reverse.* A couple of extra puff and there was a whole lot of excitement.* The end of the dock was reinforced for when she came in a little hard. They finally fitted her with a transmission and a bow thruster.*****

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom