View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
JohnP
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
RE: IG teak decks

We have a 1983 IG32 with teak decks and a teak transom overlay.**I have a couple of deck leaks that result in some water in the engine room and another under the aft deck. Not a lot but enough to keep me busy.* Allways removing any loose bungs, pulling screws and refastening using a sealant.* Also pulling caulk and redoing suspect areas.* The decks look good and are not worn. They are very solid, bored thru the side deck and revealed this construction* 1/2" Teak, almost 3/8 Glass, than 5/8 core (could be balsa but feels much harder) followed by 3/16 glass which is what you see from the bottom side.* The decks are screwed down with s.s. phillips screws. I hope to keep them as long as I can, they are beautifully installed.*** I redid most of the windows in the boat, replaced the tracks and any soft wood, and enlarged the drains.* The good news is the house is glass and it extends up behind the exterior wood and isolates any rot from infecting any of the interior.* The IG 32s are not full displacement hulls and will be no where near as efficient as your Willard.** They look nice-are built well- and can be a good boat for the buck.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote