Velvet Drive Conundrum!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Troubadour

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TRAVELLER
Vessel Make
42' CHB Present
Installed my rebuilt 10-14 DC Velvet Drive today......no problems with install..... poured 2.5 quarts of DexronIII and fired her up. Nothing...no forward, no reverse.:banghead: Looked down fill opening and observed minor splashing and lots of air bubbles. Added 1/2 quart more Dexron and checked again....same thing. Decided to crack a cooler hose to see if i had any pressure and to my surprise no flow. Do I have air lock or did the reman shop index the pump incorrectly?? I've left a message for the rebuild shop but thought I would throw this out to the forum for advice.

Please advise.

Thanks

I'm about to change oil in mine and I expect about 5 to 10 quarts to come out ..... but don't know yet.
Did you not know how much oil to put in?

BW spec is 2.5 quarts plus cooler volume....so 3 total should be in the ballpark.

Installed my rebuilt 10-14 DC Velvet Drive today......no problems with install..... poured 2.5 quarts of DexronIII and fired her up. Nothing...no forward, no reverse.:banghead: Looked down fill opening and observed minor splashing and lots of air bubbles. Added 1/2 quart more Dexron and checked again....same thing. Decided to crack a cooler hose to see if i had any pressure and to my surprise no flow. Do I have air lock or did the reman shop index the pump incorrectly?? I've left a message for the rebuild shop but thought I would throw this out to the forum for advice.

Please advise.

Thanks
Try adding fluid, your probably not allowing for the cooler lines and the cooler. Check your dip stick.

Last edited:
That sounds like not enough oil. However the pump has to be setup correctly for engine rotation. If it is setup for the opposed rotation then what you are describing can happen. There is an arrow on the front plate of the engine drive end (front plate of the pump) that should show you if the rotation is correct to your engine.

Dipstick shows full.....I should have checked the pump index before installing but just assumed (this is what I get for assuming) that a BW certified rebuild shop/Perkins house would get something as basic as pump indexing correct.....also I should have tested tranny before i reconnected shaft.....looks like I'll be pulling it again tomorrow....OH JOY!

Capt Jon....we were up your way this last weekend.....had dinner at LULU's in Gulf Shores Sunday evening......crazy place.

There were more people on the island than I have seen in a long time. I think on the July 4th holiday we and the boat will be somewhere else!

Is the gear on a counter rotating engine? Some port side perkins spin backwards. If so, did you tell the rebuilder?

Rebuilder should have noted rotation b/4 he disassembled and been sure to index properly when reassemble. Entirely his fault IMHO

Is the gear on a counter rotating engine? Some port side perkins spin backwards. If so, did you tell the rebuilder?

That was my thought also, but as Brooksie said the rebuilder should have paid attention.

Tranny is on starboard engine.... Perkins Range 4 6.354T's 200hp. Still waiting on shop to call me back....will wait until lunch and make another call.

True he should check first, but 99% are std rotation so best to inform him. Easy mistake to make.

Troubadour: Is your stbd engine std rotation? If standing behind engine looking at flywheel, std is CCW.

If you have a reverse rotation engine, it is not always on the port side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom