What kind of sun glasses do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Well, Friday morning prepping to leave for Bimini I was leaning over the side of the boat and dropped my glasses. I have croaked but had lost them the week prior and never got new ones which is now costing dearly. I need glasses before we leave for our month long trip. Can't go anywhere without them. So what kinds do you guys use? I was thinking of going with Costa Del Mar's again as I was happy with the pair I had. This time I'm thinking of going with glass lenses for better clarity.

I have a pair of Maui Jims and a pair of Ray Ban aviators. Both polarized. They are good but, to be honest, I bought a pair of cheap $25 polarized sunglasses from a local tackle shop a few years ago and they were my preferred pair until I lost them. They were just more comfortable, looked great (IMO), and worked just as good as the $200+ brands.

I have a pair of Maui Jims and a pair of Ray Ban aviators. Both polarized. They are good but, to be honest, I bought a pair of cheap $25 polarized sunglasses from a local tackle shop a few years ago and they were my preferred pair until I lost them. They were just more comfortable, looked great (IMO), and worked just as good as the $200+ brands.

Sounds like me- the cheapos are more comfortable than the Ray Bans they replaced.

Cheap polarized - over and over as I keep losing them. The only thing that matters is the polarization; being cheap they are light and therefore comfortable.

I have a couple of pair of prescription polarized sunglasses from Zenni optical. So far they are great. Cheap too for prescription glasses.

Cheapo light blue lenses with metal frames for inside the wheelhouse so I can see the plotter/sounder with them on and they cut the glare when looking out through the non-tinted windows (commercial requirement - the windows not the sunnies :).
Found that plastic frames, when left lying about in the wheelhouse, collapse under the hi UV here in NZ.

Cheapo polarised for fishing - very likely to lose them over the side. When this happens I usually have more cheapos nearby - a six-pack would be good...Had a pair of curl-side Rayban aviators once but they were too uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I have a couple of pair of prescription polarized sunglasses from Zenni optical. So far they are great. Cheap too for prescription glasses.

I used to wear the cheapies, but now I need prescription lenses so have gone to a higher end polarized glass. Interesting story, I was riding my horse shortly after getting the glasses and lost a lens. I was able to pinpoint where I had lost the lens and recover it. Then I lost the other, later. Both times the lens was replaced no charge ( as it should have been). They have been good for a couple of years now.

Last edited:
Costa Del Mar 580's, you will appreciate the difference at the end of the day.

For many they are a fashion item, but I totally agree with polarizing lenses. Assuming you don`t need prescription lenses, try before you buy, price is not necessarily proof of quality, does the glare go, do they distort, etc. An important function is eye protection, giving comfort and easy vision in glare. Protection will help protect against sun damage, eg cataracts, fixable but still a hassle, had mine done last year.
We must have ophthalmologists and/or opticians to come in on this, it is an important issue for boaters, constantly exposed to reflective glare.

Last edited:
My serious answer is tinted safety glasses. Less than $10 at any welding supply store. Buy a dozen and toss them in a drawer for spares.

My eyes are light sensitive so I buy the absolute darkest, polarized lens sunglasses I can find. I get them at a local sporting goods store for about $50.

I'm a big fan of Costa Del Mar glasses. I have prescription lenses put in mine.
To be up front about this I sell Costa so I have a financial interest in them.

I use Solar Shield sunglasses that cover my normal prescription glasses. They are light and cover the sides where I used to get blasted byt reflections of the water.

Have done now for about 5-6 years. My old prescription sunglasses were donated.

Polarized Ray Ban wraps. Many years on a Harley and the only glasses I found that didn't bleed air at highway speeds. The only problems I have had is in high humidity they might fog a bit with little air movement. But they are the most comfortable for long hours. But then, If the glasses fit the head and don't fall off I'd were the cheep ones, as long as they are polarized.

Maui Jims for me. Can't wear [cheap or otherwise] plastic lenses for more than 20 mins or so without getting a headache.

I've found "peppers" as a good intermediary. They're not the cheapest on the block but you can buy a couple pairs at a time. good lenses compared to the cheaper options

Maui Jim's but I get them for about half price with the optical insurance I have through work.

"Cheap Sunglasses", the polarized ones, that go over my bifocal prescription glasses.

Expensive, prescription Ray Bans. I can't see a damn thing without my specs.

Berkley polarized with magnifiers from Walmart sporting goods section. About $20. I won a pair of Costa, but I could not read my GPS so I gave them away.

I have the good fortune of having a brother-in law that works for Loxottica. They make most high end brands out there and have a "friends & family" sale about twice a year. We have many type on board and I love the Maui Jims and Revos. I also have a friend that reps Costa so I have a couple of pairs of those. I really like the Costas with the reading lens built in but the "bifocal" image takes a bit of getting used to when walking with them.

I find the Maui's are great on overcast days in cutting the glare without being too dark. I have very sensitive eyes and wear sunglasses sun up to sun down.

Maui Jims. I find that wearing cheap glasses seems to equate with headaches. I don't care what they look like and would prefer to spend less. But then, I do,find they cost enough that I tend to get about 2 to 3 years out of them before they are just too beat up to go on.

I've had trouble with my eyes after 50 years of sailing and skiing for a living. I buy polarized glass lenses with a reflective coating outside, and lots of side coverage. Currently, I'm on Maui Jim, but there are others. I wear them every day and hopefully I'll be able to see well enough to keep working for a few more weeks, months or years.

I don't.

The last set of sun glasses I bought in the safety section at Lowes. :eek::D

Cheap, UV rated, OSHA rated, and they wrapped around the eye. I can't remember if I bought polarized or not but they do have those as well.

Later,
Dan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom