Finally Registered..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tuesday

Veteran Member
Hello All.
Short version of my introduction is I have lurked for some time now and I enjoyed the anonymity of simply lurking and soaking in the various info. Figured I might as well jump in

After coming off a short boating absence I just purchased my next boat and am currently doing light retro projects to her.

Greetings to all and thank you for having me.

-Tuesday

Welcome to the forum! What boat did you purchase and what projects are you planning to do. Pictures are always enjoyed.

Welcome to the Forum!. Lots of members in the SF Bay area...not me though, lol

Im sorry. I suppose I left out some rather pertinent info.
Its an older 1980 Chiao 42 pilot. Dual FL diesels. I never like to temp the gremlins but in all honesty it started as a distant choice compared to others I looked it. But after I kept finding myself comparing subtle differences to it while aboard the others that I THOUGHT I liked better..I revisited it as a darkhorse canidate and just adored it for exactly what it is. And older value priced boat without pretense, that fits my needs and caters to the personal little things I appreciate.

Owner was a solid and friendly gent. Wasn't trying to force it on me. Never gave me the feeling he was trying to UNLOAD it. Offerred great disclosure and communicated great when we got to the around the table dance on purchase price that worked for both of us.

The more gentle step angles. The more solid rail fittings. The 2 or three inch interior height advantages. The small differences in hallway widths, and just plant smartly maintained drivetrain. From small items like cabinet latch systems and smoothness of doors, to the keen finishwork and joinery. I kept finding myself getting hung up on pedigree and talking myself out of it from seemingly just market hype and bias in my head when I got to the brass tacks of it.

I am quite proud of her interior woodwork and layout. Such a cozy pilothouse compared to my flybridge experience of the past.

I will post pictures when I get back out to her.

Upgrades are to be new galley upgrades and hardwood floors throughout. As mentioned earlier I found myself budgeting whole project with as realistic as possible budget and reminded myself I am building it for me. Not resale or bragging rights. Im a month or two away from taking her out because I want to take the opportunity to put in the new floors and galley before I move aboard and start speading out.

For GP I'm hauling her for what is most likley a redundant bottom job and replacing the seacocks just so I am "starting at zero" in my logs.

I bit off what can be described as a project by some, but only because I am taking the opportunity to enjoy some of the budget I had slated by upgrading. :)

Yay!

-Tuesday

And YAY back! Great attitude..I feel the same way...what I'm doing to the boat is for me...since I don't ever plan on selling it until I'm no longer capable of using it, added resale value and perceived values are of no importance to me...it's MY boat! And I'm glad that this is going to be specifically YOUR boat...Good deal all around, that's how you buy a boat...just my opinion.

...what I'm doing to the boat is for me...since I don't ever plan on selling it until I'm no longer capable of using it, added resale value and perceived values are of no importance to me...it's MY boat!

That's true, especially as for me Seaweed is home and shall remain so. What I do for and to her is for my convenience and enjoyment. Boats that are loved and lived on are often the most interesting.

Congratulations to Tuesday. I look forward to pictures.

Absolutely post some pics when you can. Love to see someone show some love to an old boats, personalizing them and making them their own statement!

Welcome aboard

OD

Welcome Tuesday!

The "sole" of a boat is often representative in regard to the soul of the owner. :thumb:

We have our pleasure cruiser for years of enjoyment... not playen for show n' tells... we play for relaxen spells! :dance:

Happy Boaten Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Welcome Tuesday!

The "sole" of a boat is often representative in regard to the soul of the owner. :thumb:

We have our pleasure cruiser for years of enjoyment... not playen for show n' tells... we play for relaxen spells! :dance:

Happy Boaten Daze! - Art :speed boat:

It's not a financial investment. It's a pleasure investment. That's our attitude.

We actually got an offer for our boat while we were docked at the nearest marina to the builder. We'd just taken possession. The man was persistent in spite of our saying "no" clearly. He offered nearly 15% more than we paid and he could get an identical one built for. We were about to leave with a large group of passengers. He did purchase a new build, but he didn't want to wait. Obviously we didn't want to wait either.

I always laugh when people try to financially justify any aspect of boating. You can't and none of us got into this for financial reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Welcome Tuesday!

Happy Boaten Daze! - Art
speed%20boat.gif

It's not a financial investment. It's a pleasure investment. That's our attitude.

We actually got an offer for our boat while we were docked at the nearest marina to the builder. We'd just taken possession. The man was persistent in spite of our saying "no" clearly. He offered nearly 15% more than we paid and he could get an identical one built for. We were about to leave with a large group of passengers. He did purchase a new build, but he didn't want to wait. Obviously we didn't want to wait either.

I always laugh when people try to financially justify any aspect of boating. You can't and none of us got into this for financial reasons.

"none of us got into this for financial reasons."

Au contraire! I am into this for financial reasons...

Lowered needs for: Medical doctor, psychiatrist, fitness assistant = $Thousands$ in annual savings. Off sets the boat buck$ I end up spending! :D
Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom