Getting Your Partner to Like Boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marinetrader

Mary and I repeatedly encounter couples where one is a knowledgeable cruiser and the other is a beginner.** How to balance the scale and get the novice at ease?* Will living and cruising aboard ever work when one of the parties is inexperienced or a tad uncertain how or if to proceed?*

The first step is to introduce boating gradually.* Charter a trawler together so you know whether it is something that might work before you make the plunge and acquire a new or used trawler or motor yacht together.* Go out on weekend cruises with acquaintances who own boats.* Is your mate secure?* The old saying is that you either love it or hate it.

Once you have made the decision to proceed with buying a boat, be sure your partner is involved in the purchase process.** Both of you must like*everything about the motor yacht or trawler you purchase.* Look at boats via the web and compose a catalog of what you like.* Compare notes to make certain you and your mate like the same things fundamentally.* If not, you will be selling it yet again in a few months.* We have experienced this time and again.* The engines and all systems will appeal to the man; the interior layout and design will appeal to the woman.** The man can love the engines and all the expensive electronic gear but if the bath or galley is not just right for the lady, you will not be purchasing that particular trawler.* If mama ain't happy, no one's happy.

Find a yacht broker that will perform as your buyer's broker.* An experienced broker will show you through the buying procedure and assist you in learning about your vessel following the purchase.

At this time you've invested in your dream vessel and have outfitted her with everything you require to cruise full time.** It's time to take her away from the pier.* But before starting the engines, formulate a plan.* Figure how you will move from the wharf and how you will drop the anchor.* How will you return to the dock?* Discuss this strategy with each other so everyone is aware his or her task.* This is where communication plays a crucial role.* Each party must be familiar with their role in this procedure.* Once you get away from the wharf, try* maneuvering in the open water.* Practice is the means to gaining confidencepractice your docking techniques also.* When your inexperienced partner feels self-assured, you've won the game.* After a few maneuvers, review what was done precisely and what needs further practice.* This is the key to having fun.* And don't be scared of making errors.* We have all been there.*

One mistake NOT to make is with regard to communication.* Yelling will get you nowhere.* It will stress your partner to the point where he or she will be prone to make errors or it will make them so annoyed they will throw up their hands and give up.** Yelling can be a sign of your own stress/anxiety which could be interpreted by your partner that you don't have a clue, thus stressing them out.* Try to talk calmly and in a normal tone.* If you do end up yelling at your mate, you'll want to apologize later; otherwise you might be sleeping on the fly bridge that night.

Relentless coaching can lead to problems too.* If you are trying to train your mate how to run the vessel, looking over his/her shoulder and coaching each minute can lead to worry.* The partner will start focusing on your condemnation rather than how they are operating the yacht.** As in all avenues of life, communication is the answer.* Oh, and when your novice mate does something correct, give them an ata-boy; works all the time.

If you are successful in getting your partner to enjoy a pleasurable day on the water, you can expect many new trips trying to duplicate that memory, I guarantee it.

So true about yelling, we see so many people who yell and flip about EVERYTHING.** Honestly, unless there is immentent danger of bodily harm, CALM DOWN!

My husband and I met at a yacht club and are on our fifth boat together (and I'm the one*with the account here!) so there is no quesiton whether or not I like boating.* Yet my husband usually drives and ALWAYS docks.* I know I need to learn how to dock, but I feel like he is REALLY into it and it is his "toy."* I feel like if there was an emergency I could get us into a slip or onto a dock.* It might not be perfect, but I know enough to do it.* What keeps me from doing it day to day?* One thing,* I don't think my husband knows where to put the fenders and lines!* Maybe I need to train him on that first and then start taking over docking from him!* LOL.*

We are VERY good about advanced planning, talking things through, not getting uptight and having FUN.* We don't flip about grazing the dock, fiberglass can be fixed.* We have seen more than one boat come charging in to the dock at full speed ahead and ride their bow up onto the dock.* That, that might upset me.* We are doing way better than that and we have confidence in each other!*

I definitely agree that positive reinforcement for what is done right is WAY more productive than pointing out every mistake!

Pineapple Girl wrote:

I feel like if there was an emergency I could get us into a slip or onto a dock.
Pineapple Girl: *Definitely like your way of saying that. *But you have an important, rather uplifting point about the individual responsibilities. *I like the idea that you think you know better than he does about placement of fenders, because both jobs have risks, and often one can do one job better than the other. *Same with him. *I didn't think about it that way, but I look forward to making my Admiral the "Captain" of whatever she is doing. *She's a terrible driver on the road, and really doesn't have a lick of talent with machinery of any kind, but your point is well taken that there are "other" relationships with boats, and she may be better at those than I am.

Charles....we read "Honey Let's Get a Boat" a chapter at a time before bed while still living in Germany. *Despite the terror of it all, we rented 43 ft. diesel canal trawlers in the old GDR (East Germany) and found ourselves to be quick learners, and picked up locking, anchoring and handling of single engine designs faster and more skillfully than others we saw throughout our journeys. *These are areas where you really have to drive your boat every moment for long periods between lakes, and where height and width are really limited when going through underpasses and passing other boats in narrow areas. *In some areas, you're as likely to hit a cow as a sea wall. *We made a good team, although she insists that I made it easy for her. *We had lots of doubts after reading the book, but maybe the anxiety put us on our toes. *Some of the stuff that goes on in those locks, including side-swiping and direct collisions with side walls and gates, made us wonder if the rest of them should have read the book too.

Regarding "the Captain" (is that what you*guys refer to yourselves as, since we gals are "the admiral")*not knowing MY job on the boat...* We were sailing back from a cruise out back when we had our Catalina 320.* I have just brought in and stowed all the fenders and dock lines,*jumped the main halyard while he tailed it, gotten the main trimmed, unfurled the jib, trimmed it (to his satisfaction), put away the sail ties, and FINALLY had a chance to sit down in the cockpit.* He, from his spot behind the wheel, said "isn't sailing relaxing."**I replied, accompanied by a look of death, I assure you, "FOR YOU."*
wink.gif

Really good, Pineapple girl. *Really good. LOL.

My situation has been a little different than ones above.* After 44 years, I lost my first mate who had cruised with me for thousands of miles.* She was a natural at handling the deck and keeping up with the paper charts as we went.* Cruised single handed or with family and friends on board fo awhile.* Then a new first mate joined me.

Since I already had the boat or boats in this case and she had never boated, the best way to introduce her into it had to be decided.* For our first cruise, I wanted and easy cruise with interesting places.* No great distances covered.* We went to Boca Grande for a couple of nights (10 mi).* It is still a great stop for us. Then an overnight at Cayo Costa at anchor (5 mi).* It was then to Cabbage Key (3 mi.).* Then to South Seas Resort on Captiva Island (8 mi).* We stayed there 3 nights.* Who would not like that?* Then to the St. Charles YC at Ft. Myers (15 mi).* Mileages are approximate here, but after all that the return trip was only about 40 miles.* She was hooked.* Now after about 7,000 miles of*cruising under her belt she still considers herself a novice.* She really is becoming a seasoned cruiser.* She is dying to get back to the Bahamas.

It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 04:00:06 PM

To any and all who might try to introduce a novice to boating

The best thing I can add to all the other great information given is to eliminate as many of the fears the newbie might have, and there can be many. And the best way to do that is for the pair of you take the US Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Safety and Seamanship course. Even if you have been there, done that, by taking it together, you can help answer questions as they occur, add further clarification, and most importantly, demonstrate your understanding of all that goes with boating. If the newbie has understanding of what's ahead, and how to deal with it, you will both be happier. I recommend the CG Aux course over any other, and be sure to take the full length version. Winter is a great time to get that done.

Carey wrote:

*I recommend the CG Aux course over any other, and be sure to take the full length version. Winter is a great time to get that done.
Carey, I couldn't agree with you more about taking the boating course.* If all that is available, take the abbreviated course.* If it is offered take the longer more involved course.* I think you may be selling the US Power Squadron coures short.* I have an advanced USPS grade, have been a certified instructor, and have passed the USCG Aux. test to be a vessel examiner.* I have not kept*those certifications up, because I spend my time cruising now.* I am here to testify that the USPS courses can prepare you for whatever cruising you might want to do.**

Not denigrating the USCG Aux* It is a fine organization.* I have taken some of*their courses.* Just to say that the USPS courses are certainly*worthy of taking.* In this area we work together on many projects.

Of course, my new first mate has participated in the Squadron.*

I concur with Don about the Power Squadron. Both the Aux and the Power Squadron offer extensive and excellent educational opportunities, what the Squadron offers is a more relaxed, less military environment and a more social boating club atmosphere. Since 9/11 the Aux has assumed a much increased patrol and surveillance mission for the USCG. The Power Squadron does no patrol and, at least out here in the PNW, shows very little evidence of military trappings.

Although I served on active duty as a commissioned officer in the Air Force and spent a large portion of my civilian career working with the military, my wife has zero knowledge of the military and, honestly, doesn't really comprehend anything about the military. She is much more comfortable in the Power Squadron environment. Both of us have taken a number of classes, have advanced grades and have served in elected offices with our local Squadron.

I really respect what the Aux does and know that their courses are equally excellent but the uniforms and the grades can be intimidating to the uninitated, especially those like my lovely bride.

One of the ways to get a partner to like boating is to introduce them to others who enjoy boating...we have accomplished this through our local Power Squadron and our local yacht club. Both of our local organizations provide low stress, supportive groups with other, like minded individuals.

Perla is eager but has no boating experience.* Have planned*to enroll BOTH of us in a USCG or PS introductory boating class this winter and get her to read Chapman.

img_33451_0_399bb3b6306fc020ca7bc9b8c1831c01.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 15th of December 2010 06:13:04 PM

First of all, I want to appologize to MarineTrader.* I did not mean to high jack your thread.* It is a great disccussion I would like to see continue.

That being said, I know that "they" are out to get me, but "they" have been out to get me for so long that I no longer give "they" any thought.

I and my late first mate took both the Aux. and USPS basic public boating courses.* No, while the Aux. wore uniforms, I did not detect a militaristic attitude.* They were courteous and informative.* I have taught and been course chairman for the USPS boating course.* Basically, there was very little difference.* The main difference was that at USPS we had a live, hands on*fire extinguisher demonstration and an afternoon on the water.* There we demonstrated some of what we talked.* The Aux. course that I took did not do either, but may now.

Carey, I always recommend either course without reservation.* I make no distinction between the quality.* We are all trying to accomplish the same thing-----safer boating through education.* Long live both organizations.

I read an article some time ago about a newly wed couple that set out on his dream voyage to cross the Atlantic (I'm sure it was a sailboat) leaving from the East Coast.
The wife had little or no boating experience, but got caught up in his enthusiasm and agreed to go. No other crew.* About three weeks out, there was a mayday from a vessel some distance from the Azores.* Apparently not too long after being "out there" the husband (Captain) became increasingly intolerant of the wife's lack of seamanship and began ordering her*around with a great deal of belligerence and contempt, which eventually became outright hostility.* She became very fearful for her own safety and started to lock her self in the forward cabin.* One day she snuck out to the galley to get some food and he jumped her from behind and started beating her on the head with a wrench. She was able*to fend him off and get away up to the deck. When he came up after her she whacked him in the head with an oar from the dingy and*knocked him overboard.* The boat was already moving and rapidly moved away from him.* She did not go back to pick him up and his body was never found.* The gal did have the presence of mind to call*a*mayday on all channels and got a response from the Coast Guard who were able to talk her into finding her position and were able*to effect a rescue.* They were going to charge her with manslaughter until they saw the wounds on her head from the wrench and I guess his log had*become erratic,*and some his entries supported her story*so she was not charged.**
Is there a moral to the story** I don't know* you be the judge.*** KJ

KJ wrote:

I read an article some time ago about a newly wed couple that set out on his dream voyage to cross the Atlantic (I'm sure it was a sailboat) leaving from the East Coast.
The wife had little or no boating experience, but got caught up in his enthusiasm and agreed to go. No other crew.* About three weeks out, there was a mayday from a vessel some distance from the Azores.* Apparently not too long after being "out there" the husband (Captain) became increasingly intolerant of the wife's lack of seamanship and began ordering her*around with a great deal of belligerence and contempt, which eventually became outright hostility.* She became very fearful for her own safety and started to lock her self in the forward cabin.* One day she snuck out to the galley to get some food and he jumped her from behind and started beating her on the head with a wrench. She was able*to fend him off and get away up to the deck. When he came up after her she whacked him in the head with an oar from the dingy and*knocked him overboard.* The boat was already moving and rapidly moved away from him.* She did not go back to pick him up and his body was never found.* The gal did have the presence of mind to call*a*mayday on all channels and got a response from the Coast Guard who were able to talk her into finding her position and were able*to effect a rescue.* They were going to charge her with manslaughter until they saw the wounds on her head from the wrench and I guess his log had*become erratic,*and some his entries supported her story*so she was not charged.**
Is there a moral to the story** I don't know* you be the judge.*** KJ
That's the kind of thing that has forced me to remain armed when in my wife's presence.

markpierce wrote:

Perla is eager but has no boating experience.* Have planned*to enroll BOTH of us in a USCG or PS introductory boating class this winter and get her to read Chapman

Mark, that was pretty sneaky to do all that just to get a ship's "engineer".
smile.gif

Most wives simply may look at a boat as another work station.

So my suggestion is to charter a canal boat in the Erie Canal.

A week of putting slowly thru nice countryside , many towns with great bakeries and resturants and free wi fi and docks should hook her!

No work , no cooking , internet contact and lots to see is fun.

Docking is alongside , and there is basically no current.

No shouting , no fear ,no nautical speak,* just a boat ride.

Best of all after a week on a nice boat 8 or 10 ft wide EVERY boat after that will seem spacious!

So it will be easy to get her aboard a nice 32 ft TT for $20K, no need for the million dollar 60 ft "home afloat".

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 16th of December 2010 04:43:28 AM

I was the boater; my wife was not.* I made the mistake of introducing her to cruising life.* She*made me buy a bigger boat!* She knows everybody at nearby West Marine stores by their first names. Now*I am in*as much a danger at boat shows as at the mall.* Help.

ColonyCove wrote:

I was the boater; my wife was not.* I made the mistake of introducing her to cruising life.* She*made me buy a bigger boat!* She knows everybody at nearby West Marine stores by their first names. Now*I am in*as much a danger at boat shows as at the mall.* Help.

I'm with you on that one. *I was a happy, and unattached to owning anything on the water. *Then I met my Admiral in Miami and she says "Well, are we going to do the Miami thing or not"? *I say: "What do you mean"? *She says: *"You know, buy a boat and stuff like that". *To which I say: "Uh, no thanks. *All my friends have boats and I already have to put in enough time fixing theirs....I sure don't want one for myself".

Slowly, I saw how much the water meant to her, and how she, herself, was expanded in the sea. *Well, you know the rest of the story.....all for the love of a woman. Now, I think I'm more excited about it than she is.

My wife was the one who convinced me to get a boat we could sleep on.
She is one who has the biggaboatdisease.
She is the one who NEVER gets mal de mer. I am the one who gets queasy in rough seas.
She is the one who can walk a straight line in beam seas. I am the one who holds on every step.
I fix the engine, paint the bottom, clean the bilge.
That is why she is the Admiral, and I'm a swabby.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by jleonard on Thursday 16th of December 2010 12:50:51 PM

oh my gosh I am LOVING reading the last few posts about the happy Admirals!* You guys know you are lucky right?* I know my husband know that he is!*

I was talking to one of our members privately and it got me thinking about why many wives aren't that into the whole boating thing.* I was already into boating before I met Matt but plenty of you have been successful in introducing a non-boating spouse to boating.* I definitely agree on EASING into it.* Also making her part of it!* Not all people WANT to do that.** Many WANT the boat to be their getaway, sanctuary, whatever, that the spouse is not involved with.* But then when they DO want the spouse around, the spouse is supposed to jump in with enthusiasm.* It is no surprise they aren't interested!*

i can't find it now but one of you mentioned that a wife might see it as another place where she is expected to cook and clean.* Do you only bring her along when you need someone to do that?* Matt probably cooks more than I do and we both are constantly finding something to clean so the boat is as clean and presentable as our home.* And it does not have that damp feel to it as soon as walk on board that so many boats do.* YUCK.** I would not want any part of that!*

Anyway, I ramble.
smile.gif

Matt and I took the power squadron class, it was great.*Also we are very involved our yacht club and having boating friends does make it even more fun...

My Admiral has always loved the sea.* She once told me that when she was a very little girl her favorite ride at the amusement park was the boats which ran in real water, but were guided along their course by wooden planking.* We have had four boats together now, so I guess she's serious (maybe about me too).

Attachments

• 100_2084.jpg
    100_2084.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 64
Pineapple Girl wrote:

*You guys know you are lucky right?*
I too read The story's and sentiments posted by everyone and there spouses.

And you are truly lucky. Enjoy every Minuit of it folks because we never know when the worst that can happen should befall us.

I do the majority of my boating solo as my SO. I can't really call her the Admiral yet as she has been diagnosed these past 10 years with MS and confined to electric transportation of the two wheeled variety.

Al tho she does rejoice in my passion for the boat and has gone occasionally when the tide is high and her chair can negotiate the ramp and *the sun is shining. As she is a woman of strong will and desires self sufficiency above all else. It is difficult for her to need to be hoisted aboard and not be able to move about as she wishes.

The search goes on for a trawler that can afford her mobility.**

the ones big enough are a little out of our price range. The best I have seen with the proper lay out is the Kady Krogen Whaleback At 48 ft and has every thing save the pilothouse on one level. The Manatee is a close second but is a little small at 36 ft for our needs.*

Enjoy my friends if you truly have a mate to accompany you and be kind It is a partnership.
It may take a few more years but I am confident I shall find the right boat.*
Even if I have to build it myself.*

Then me and my Admiral shall cruise as so many before us.

SD

I too read The story's and sentiments posted by everyone and there spouses.

And you are truly lucky. Enjoy every Minuit of it folks because we never know when the worst that can happen should befall us.

I do the majority of my boating solo as my SO. I can't really call her the Admiral yet as she has been diagnosed these past 10 years with MS and confined to electric transportation of the two wheeled variety.

Al tho she does rejoice in my passion for the boat and has gone occasionally when the tide is high and her chair can negotiate the ramp and *the sun is shining. As she is a woman of strong will and desires self sufficiency above all else. It is difficult for her to need to be hoisted aboard and not be able to move about as she wishes.

The search goes on for a trawler that can afford her mobility.**

the ones big enough are a little out of our price range. The best I have seen with the proper lay out is the Kady Krogen Whaleback At 48 ft and has every thing save the pilothouse on one level. The Manatee is a close second but is a little small at 36 ft for our needs.*

Enjoy my friends if you truly have a mate to accompany you and be kind It is a partnership.

It may take a few more years but I am confident I shall find the right boat.*
Even if I have to build it myself.*

Then me and my Admiral shall cruise as so many before us.

SD

SkipperSunnfjord boats in Tacoma, WA built a boat which I believe was featured in one of the first couple years of Passagemaker Magazine. I believe it was about 55 ft., and featured full accessibility, including an elevator to the pilothouse. These guys build a quality commercial grade boat at reasonable prices. A friend of mine has a 46 footer of theirs, which has taken them to Mexico and back over a several year voyage. I wish you could locate and maybe see the one Passagemaker featured, as it would be good background information for you.*

Pineapple Girl wrote:

oh my gosh I am LOVING reading the last few posts about the happy Admirals!* You guys know you are lucky right?* I know my husband know that he is!*

I was talking to one of our members privately and it got me thinking about why many wives aren't that into the whole boating thing.* I was already into boating before I met Matt but plenty of you have been successful in introducing a non-boating spouse to boating.* I definitely agree on EASING into it.* Also making her part of it!* Not all people WANT to do that.** Many WANT the boat to be their getaway, sanctuary, whatever, that the spouse is not involved with.* But then when they DO want the spouse around, the spouse is supposed to jump in with enthusiasm.* It is no surprise they aren't interested!*

i can't find it now but one of you mentioned that a wife might see it as another place where she is expected to cook and clean.* Do you only bring her along when you need someone to do that?* Matt probably cooks more than I do and we both are constantly finding something to clean so the boat is as clean and presentable as our home.* And it does not have that damp feel to it as soon as walk on board that so many boats do.* YUCK.** I would not want any part of that!*

Anyway, I ramble.
smile.gif

Matt and I took the power squadron class, it was great.*Also we are very involved our yacht club and having boating friends does make it even more fun...
Speaking for myself, yes, I know I am lucky. My heart has always been on or near the water, and my wife understood that right from the start. We were fortunate enough to live on a lake for twenty years, allowing me kayaking and canoeing, as well as the nearby sal****er to kayak. However, she could not find the same passion for kayaking, but was willing to try boating. It all began with a boating safety course, which helped answer a lot of her questions and eliminate a lot of her fears. Next, we chartered for a week. After that, she was into the whole thing as deep as myself. I am a lucky man.

Carey wrote:

SkipperSunnfjord boats in Tacoma, WA built a boat which I believe was featured in one of the first couple years of Passagemaker Magazine. I believe it was about 55 ft., and featured full accessibility, including an elevator to the pilothouse. These guys build a quality commercial grade boat at reasonable prices. A friend of mine has a 46 footer of theirs, which has taken them to Mexico and back over a several year voyage. I wish you could locate and maybe see the one Passagemaker featured, as it would be good background information for you.*

I am familiar with the boat of which you speak. It came on the market earlier this year after the owners wife died. It was sold to a fellow in a wheel chair and is currently used as a livaboard in Washington state somewhere.

I talked to the people at Sunnfjords at the time but new construction was a bit more than I could afford.*

I am currently looking for a good hull that I can work with.
Sort of a rebuild if you will. Something with a good motor I can build a new cabin for it.

There is a fellow in Homer Alaska that builds some pretty good ones. Mostly bow pickers and long liners. *He has an older mold from one of the defunct builders. We are negoiating as we speak.

SD

My wife served in the Navy and although at that time they were not assigning women to ships' crews she had a pretty good exposure to the "water" side of the military. Her father had a small trailer boat he used for fishing in Puget Sound and my wife frequently accompanied him. We started flying floatplanes up the Inside Passage in the mid-80s and between that and what the Navy had taught her about navigation she became very familiar with getting us around the region. She is particularly good with charts and maps.

All this knowledge and experience carried over for both of us when we got our 17' Arima fishing boat. Ditto when we got the Grand Banks. Today she routinely cons the boat. She holds a course more accurately in fog than I do, which is why when we're in fog she takes over the boat. The only thing she is reluctant to do is dock it. She can operate and interpret the GPS plotters and radar. During docking and undocking maneuvers she is in charge of the deck and handles the lines and fenders and, when we have guests aboard who can help out, gives and explains their assignments to them.

When we bought the Arima the first thing we did was take the USCG Auxiliary multi-week boating course at North Seattle Community College. While some of it covered material we already knew, there was a lot of new material ands simply being exposed to all of it was well worth the investment of the time. In this area (at that time) we had heard the USCG Aux course was considerably superior to the USPS course, which is why we chose the USCG Aux course.

Bottom line is that she is as at home on and with the boat as I am.

We have a rule when running either of our boats that I learned from Bob Hale, the publisher of the Waggoner Guide, probably the most popular cruising guide for this area. He explained to me that the rule he and his wife follow is tha whenever they don't agree on a course of action--- which side of an island to pass on, where to anchor, which path to follow through a narrow pass, etc., etc., etc., they stop the boat until they do agree. Given the knowledge and experience my wife has amassed over the years in both float flying and boating, I have found that it is well worth listening to her when she has an opinion on what we ought to be doing. Nine times out of ten, she's right.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 16th of December 2010 05:09:05 PM

Hiya,
** Mr. jleonard.* What? You don't do the cooking cleaning and driving as well?* Some swabby.* Your Admiral*needs*some tips from Mr. ColonyCove's Admiral.
** Mr. Colonycove.* I think your Admiral is INDEED serious about you as well.* Hmmmm...guided around by wooden planking eh?* Sounds familiar somehow.
** When me and the mrs's are out in our launch*it's 180 degrees different.* I do all the*chores and she lies along the starboard side sipping cocktails.* At home, I do all the chores and she*lies along the port side sipping cocktails.* Ah yes, boating sure has a way of turning things around.**I even get to walk the two dogs-Puddles and Poopsie (smart dogs, they named themselves).*
** A small snap of us in the saloon...

margaret+dumont+5.jpg

http://imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.bl...a=X&ei=2JkKTeqPJ9DpnQf1iKH6Dg&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAQ
** These anecdotes from you all illustrate what good can come from couples working together.* After all,*a marriage/relationship is NOT 50/50 it's 100/100.* Or in my case 200/000.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Thursday 16th of December 2010 05:14:55 PM

skipperdude wrote:

Carey wrote:

I am familiar with the boat of which you speak. It came on the market earlier this year after the owners wife died. It was sold to a fellow in a wheel chair and is currently used as a livaboard in Washington state somewhere.

I talked to the people at Sunnfjords at the time but new construction was a bit more than I could afford.*

I am currently looking for a good hull that I can work with.
Sort of a rebuild if you will. Something with a good motor I can build a new cabin for it.

There is a fellow in Homer Alaska that builds some pretty good ones. Mostly bow pickers and long liners. *He has an older mold from one of the defunct builders. We are negoiating as we speak.

SD

Skipper
Yes, a new build Sunnfjord would be too much for me as well, yet one of the better buys in new boats.
Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck with negotiations.
Carey

Skipperdude, I was very much touched by your story, and you devotion to you wife.* I wish you both the best, and hope you find just the right boat to fit your needs.

To bear out what you said about being thankful for what you have, I have some personal experience.* My wife of 44 years who was a great cruising partner passed away.* I am posting a picture of her on our last cruise.* The disease was already taking it toll, but she wanted to keep cruising.* We would stop along the way to find a lab or hospital to do tests and send back to her doctor.* we had cruised thousands of miles over 30 or so years.* Two weeks after this last cruise, she passed away.

The picture is on our last 750 mile cruise from Hilton Head to Boca Grande.* Cumberland Island is in the background.* As you can see, she is doing what we always did------following the paper chart and*keeping a sharp eye out.* Whe we didn't agree on the course, we stopped.* It is one of my most treasured pictures of Anne.* She took both the Aux. course and USPS course as well some advanced classes at USPS.

Yes, be thankful for what you have.* I now have another great cruising partner that came to boating late, but has adaped very fast.* I am thankul for her, too.

Attachments

• anne cruising e-mail.jpg
    anne cruising e-mail.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom