IG 32 330 Cummins speed/rpm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpwrist

Vessel Name
River Horse
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy
I am sure that this has been discussed on this site before, so can anyone direct me to a source for some standard numbers of the real life expected cruising speed, fuel usage, rpm at 80% and WOT for a standard 2002 Island Gypsy Europa with the 330 Cummins and probably stock propeller? I cranked it up to 2600 rpm the other day and was moving at 12 knots. Am a little skittish with opening it up all the way, but am curious with other people's experiences. Always good to know for planning purposes if need to get somewhere fast. By the way, I usually cruise at 14-1800 rpm and 7-8 knots.
Jos (River Horse)

If you don't have a Cummins manual get one. They are very detailed with a lot of operating and how to info.

BTW any info on cummins requires the cummins CPL number, found on the metal info plate. That plate will also show max rated RPM and hP.

330 HP is not enough info to properly identify your specific model.

Last edited:
For the 330B specs show WOT at about 2900 rpm, but better to confirm this from your manual or go to boatdiesel.com with the CPL or engine serial number and ask.

Jos:

Have the same engine with a 2:04:1 ZF trans and a 25 X 19 prop. Before we installed a prop cage, at 2,800rpm WOT we'd see 12 to 13 kts over the ground depending upon whether we had full tanks and were towing the dinghy. Since the prop cage install, we can only turn max about 2,650 and and can't get more than about 11 knots. But we only go to WOT or near WOT for a few minutes near the end of a run. Normally we cruise at 1,600 to 1,800 rpm , 7-8kts, 3+/- gph.

Thanks to all for your comments. I will do a more thorough job of reading the manuals, go to the boatdiesel.com forum website, etc. Didn't know about the CPL number and will use that as a reference.
David, you provided me the basic info I was looking for. Never have opened her up before, but will run at max rpm in the next few days.
Jos

2800rpm is max RPM for that engine. If your boat had a more efficient planing hull it would be able to get up and boogie with that amount of power. But I think IG went too wide on that hull to allow it to plane very well. I think the member Codger2 would be your best resource. He had the Express model of that boat with the same hull and engine. He should be able to give you real life numbers.

A 330B is rated to make it's full hp at 2800, but you want to prop it higher than that, more like 2850 to 2900. 2800 is not max, it is just for rating purposes.

But in a trawler running at hull speed, it's not that important that it makes 2900. It is important if you are going to run extended periods at a high power setting.

To the OP, that's a tough engine, you won't hurt it going full out. Keep an eye on the temp and check ER for leaks.

2800rpm is max RPM for that engine. If your boat had a more efficient planing hull it would be able to get up and boogie with that amount of power. But I think IG went too wide on that hull to allow it to plane very well. .
Coupled with dwhatty's data above, I totally agree with Baker's comment! :thumb:

A 330B is rated to make it's full hp at 2800, but you want to prop it higher than that, more like 2850 to 2900. 2800 is not max, it is just for rating purposes.

But in a trawler running at hull speed, it's not that important that it makes 2900. It is important if you are going to run extended periods at a high power setting.

To the OP, that's a tough engine, you won't hurt it going full out. Keep an eye on the temp and check ER for leaks.

I should have said "rated"!!! And I was not going to get into the proper "propping" as it relates to rated power and RPM and engine longevity. I have mine propped to run at slightly above 3000RPM. I am happy with the performance in my normal cruising range(2200RPM@16kts-2400RPM@18kts) and know I could run all day at 2600RPM(21kts) without really even making the engines sweat. 2600RPM being the Cummins stated Max Continuous power.

Back
Top Bottom