Radio protocol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
I know proper radio protocol fairly well, but I wonder if the rest of you have any pet peaves or other thoughts about the subject, "over".

One of my pet peaves is people giving the hailing vessel name three times. My own understanding is that you should give the name of the vessel being called three times, and then the hailing vessel just once. And that makes sense to me, as the hailing vessel name can be clarified once contact is made, but you MUST get the name of the vessel being called out there, or there will be no contact.

I have a problem with the CBers Or people with no idea of how to use a VHF.*They call 3 or 4 times then come back with a "Negative contact" such and such clear.

*Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

They are just clouding up the air and usually walking all over somebody else.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

I have a problem with the CBers Or people with no idea of how to use a VHF.*They call 3 or 4 times then come back with a "Negative contact" such and such clear.

Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

SD

SD, You may not care, however, that is proper radio protocal. Chuck

Could you quote the source for your statement.
Inquiring minds.

I was under the impression that the hailing frequency was for that. Hailing and emergency use.**Idle chatter just clogs up the air and could prevent a true emergency from being heard.

I know it is proper protocal for land based Citizen radio but some where there is a chance for loss of life and limb I would stand to differ
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 13th of December 2010 12:41:01 PM

Why does everyone get mad at me when I start off by saying "Breaker Breaker" when I hail someone and when I am done and ending the discussion they get mad when I say"That's a 10-4 good buddy. Over and out."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't get all upset about radio stuff unless it's blatant nonsense like endless talking on Channel 16, letting your kid play on the VHF and having them sing a song into the mic, etc. etc. *But I'm easy going. *I don't even mind radio checks on Channel 16.

P.S. I DO hope you all know that I am kidding about saying breaker breaker! *
smile.gif

skipperdude wrote:

Nobody cares if you made contact or not.

SD
I felt the same way, until a professional pointed out that the value in them doing that is if the vessel being called heard and responded, then they would at least know that their reply went unheard. My own perspective on that was that I would assume my reply unheard if I got no response, so what have we gained? Not so sure on this one.

Woodsong wrote:

Why does everyone get mad at me when I start off by saying "Breaker Breaker" when I hail someone and when I am done and ending the discussion they get mad when I say
"That's a 10-4 good buddy. Over and out."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't get all upset about radio stuff unless it's blatant nonsense like endless talking on Channel 16, letting your kid play on the VHF and having them sing a song into the mic, etc. etc. *But I'm easy going. *I don't even mind radio checks on Channel 16.

P.S. I DO hope you all know that I am kidding about saying breaker breaker! *
smile.gif
Breaker, breaker indeed. I'm glad you mentioned over and out. Do we all know that you are either over or out, and not both at the same time? Say yes.*
biggrin.gif

Here's something that I can't get right. I know that protocol says we must say over, when we are ready to allow the other person to speak. However, I don't say over in normal conversation, and simply don't remember to do so on the radio. I feel ashamed every time I do it. Downright dirty in fact. Can anyone tell why we must say over? Is it simply to speed up the process, so there is no wasted air time with the pause?

I believe Over is to signify that the*communication is on going. Over to you.**Awaiting response**
OUT *End of transmission.

SD*

skipperdude wrote:

I believe Over is to signify that the*communication is on going. Over to you.**Awaiting response**
OUT *End of transmission.

SD
Right, but in normal conversation, we are able to sense whether the conversation will continue or if it is finished. Even on the phone.

I would think it is fine when you are close and have a good connection but when further away and things get garbled* or staticy.
*"Over" would be in order.

skipperdude wrote:

I would think it is fine when you are close and have a good connection but when further away and things get garbled* or staticy.
"Over" would be in order.
That makes sense. It helps others waiting to use the frequency to tell you are continuing as well.*

I was a commercial radioman at a cannery in the 60s and used very close to perfect "protocol". Announcing your'e clear or calling twice often helps get the job done and I almost always said "over" when I transferred the mike. But there are many ways to speed up communication w improper procedure such as clicking the mike to clear. The commercial fishermen here in SE are the most "improper" radiomen I've ever heard. And the sports guys talk about all kinds of trivia that should NEVER be on ch 16. But the absolute worst thing on the radio is guys trying to sound like old salts or big tough guys. These guys are sinking the ship as far as maximizing communications*** ...and just for their ego. Coast Guard radio and even airline pilots fall into this childish crap. Communication is not well served when the mike button is released before one is through talking. That's my pet peve
....guys trying to sound*swauve or super confident by being casual or talking too fast.

Capn Chuck wrote:

SD, You may not care, however, that is proper radio protocal. Chuck
I did some Internet search and did come up with one site that referred to the negative contact bit*as proper protocol.

*But to my mind that would be fine on working channels but on 16 it would just be clutter and not necessary.

*You call someone and get no response. OK fine the end.

I firmly believe you should get off 16 as soon as possible Just in case there is an emergency.

Make you call and move to a working channel.

I have heard the CG repremand someone for* Usless chatter on 16.

SD

skipperdude wrote:

I have heard the CG repremand someone for* Usless chatter on 16.

SD

Then what do they do?
confuse.gif
Send him to his room without supper?
wink.gif

(sorry... it was funny in my head)

BTW... Everything you said is the way I roll too. I stay quiet 99% of the time and only monitir 16. Not even a radio check unless I suspect something wrong. Will often just use my HH radio to test the big one.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Monday 13th of December 2010 01:56:43 PM

You honestly want to know my biggest pet peeve? Why can't the ship to ship communication channel be like channel 14 or something instead of channel 68?? Why must we dial our receivers so far from 16 in order to communicate more in depth? I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!

Carey wrote:Right, but in normal conversation, we are able to sense whether the conversation will continue or if it is finished. Even on the phone.

And more relevant still, face to face or telephone is duplex, both parties can speak and be heard at the same time. VHF radio is simplex, one station speaks, the other listens.

Woodsong wrote:

You honestly want to know my biggest pet peeve? Why can't the ship to ship communication channel be like channel 14 or something instead of channel 68?? Why must we dial our receivers so far from 16 in order to communicate more in depth? I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!

I HEAR YA'!! Actually, that's exactly the reason I seeked out a radio with a KNOB to select channels. My older radio that came with it only had buttons. It took forever to get to 68 and I always overshot it. I try and use VFH10 when I gat called. I used 17 for a while until I realized it was a low-power channel. DOH! (that explained a lot)

Woodsong wrote:

Channel 14 would be great but in the PNW, San Francisco and BC, VTC already beat us to it.* What channels do VTC use on the East*Coast?

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Manzanillo, Colima, MX*

Woodsong wrote:*I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
You might want to take that up with the FCC. Channel 14 is already assigned to port operations and VTS.

Take a look at the table of USCG or FCC channel assignments.

Hey Rick**
I love those coups. How much are they sell'in for now?

Great Avitar

Not nearly enough! Make me a really good offer and I might throw in a Tripacer!

Or replace this and I'll swap straight across!

I sold this because I couldn't find a hangar here, now I have a hangar but really want my Duster back ... it went to the UK though and it ain't coming back this way anytime soon.

Attachments

• dustersmall.jpg
    dustersmall.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 68
RickB wrote:

Woodsong wrote:I hereby make a motion that channel 14 become the ship to ship communication channel!
You might want to take that up with the FCC. Channel 14 is already assigned to port operations and VTS.

Take a look at the table of USCG or FCC channel assignments.

I know Channel 14 is already taken- I just wish I had been in the room when they assigned it so that i could have made a motion to have it be for ship to ship communications and make an impassioned plea for the recreational boater and their having to turn the dial so much to 68!

juggle.gif

Carey wrote:

Here's something that I can't get right. I know that protocol says we must say over, when we are ready to allow the other person to speak. However, I don't say over in normal conversation, and simply don't remember to do so on the radio. I feel ashamed every time I do it. Downright dirty in fact. Can anyone tell why we must say over? Is it simply to speed up the process, so there is no wasted air time with the pause?
It's because in normal conversation, you can hear the other party even if you are still talking.* On a simplex radio system, you cannot.* If your party begins to answer and you are still transmitting, you won't hear the reply.

My pet peeve? People using the marine radio like a telephone. Talking about what they are having for dinner, where they are going next week, where they were last week, etc. Or fishermen doing the same thing talking about the fishing or whatever.

VHF communications should be short and sweet. Say what you need to say, hear what you need to hear, and let it be for the next user.

Woodsong wrote:

make an impassioned plea for the recreational boater and their having to turn the dial so much to 68!
Turn the dial the other direction.

How many channels are available for ship to ship in your area?

SD

rwidman wrote:

Carey wrote:

It's because in normal conversation, you can hear the other party even if you are still talking.* On a simplex radio system, you cannot.* If your party begins to answer and you are still transmitting, you won't hear the reply.

Right you are. but like any other conversation, I can sense when it's my turn. Most of the time. I'll continue trying to fit over into my vhf conversations. It's just hard for some of us old people to make a change of any sort. Happy Destiny, out!

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 13th of December 2010 06:17:42 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom