New Trawler on market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I guess none of us has seen one in person. It is an interesting design, but I wonder why they kept it to a beam of 8-1/2 feet. Unless you had a full one ton truck with duallies you wouldn't want to tow this thing. It would have a tow weight of ten tons.

On further thought the beam is probably to allow container shipment.

But the weight doesn't seem to fit with the beam. My Mainship Pilot 34 has the same advertised weight and has a 2' wider beam. this boat must have a lot of ballast.

I can believe 10 kts at 85 hp wot. The more interesting number would be the hp and fuel to push it to 6.5 kts, a S/L of 1.2. I am guessing about 30 hp and less than 2 gph.

But I do like the concept. Would be a perfect French Canal boat.

David

Last edited:
It looks interesting. The center cockpit design is uncommon. I don't know if it's a plus or a minus (like most things, both), but it's different from most other boats on the market. I personally find it appealing, with some caveats.

I would prefer walk-around side decks (one of my pet peeves). I would also much prefer a separate enclosed shower, a wet head would be a deal breaker for my admiral.

I would be skeptical of buying something that only exists as computer renderings. The biggest question mark to me is the price. $114,000 for a new 34 ft trawler is too cheap. With other new 34 ft boats selling in the $400k range (American Tug, Nordic, Beneteau, etc.) it's hard to imagine how they will be able to actually make this for 1/4 of that. Even the resurrected Logan 33 is trying to get around $200k base price, and that's less boat than the Sand Piper. I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being some bait-and-switching with the price as they realize they can't make it for $114k. Even boats made in China cost more than that.

I also wonder about the claimed S/L of 2.0 and the 11 kt speed. That would be terrify of course, but I wonder how predictive the modeling software is? That would be about 50% faster than the pure displacement speed of a 34 ft hull.

If they really can deliver on the promises at close to the $114k price, I think it will sell well, it would be a bargain. It would be so refreshing for a new boat to actually be affordable.

I've been patiently awaiting updates from the builder, believe we traded emails a month or two ago. Last I heard he was seeking the services of a naval architect.

David is correct in assuming the reason for the 8 1/2' beam. It and the price point are two factors that have our interest. We have no desire to cross oceans in a boat but we do have desires to cruise the Far East, Australia, and Europe. A boat that fits a standard shipping container space is infinitely cheaper to relocate.

I think it's a GREAT concept...I like watertight compartmentalization...and love the looks...it's different, looks salty, and just basically cool! I'm going to continue to follow it although it's missing a few things I feel necessary for the wife and I....Generator, and a separate shower stall....anyway, still a great concept.

Having to walk outside from the sleeping quarters to the saloon/galley area would get old really quickly on the rainy west coast of BC.

I thought the same thing, but at least you don't have to go outside to use the head in the middle of the night ;-).

How about a bimini over the forward cockpit? I know it would look wierd, but it would be functional. It would be a great place to hang out in the afternoon and read a book. Probably useless underway as it would be windy and subject to sea spray.

Maybe the developers could add a computer generated bimini so we could see if we could stomach its looks.

David

Greetings,
For $114K it would be a heck of a deal but I fail to see the purpose, other than an "outside" area, of the center cockpit. It could just as easily and probably almost as cheaply built by moving the pilothouse forward to fill the cockpit area and leave a larger aft deck. THEN for ~$114K I'd probably buy one.

Kind of like an Albin 27 in reverse. Most have the gap covered with canvas.

Reminds me of a Fisher Potter 25.

Attachments

• FisherPotter25.jpg
    FisherPotter25.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:
Greetings,
For $114K it would be a heck of a deal but I fail to see the purpose, other than an "outside" area, of the center cockpit. It could just as easily and probably almost as cheaply built by moving the pilothouse forward to fill the cockpit area and leave a larger aft deck. THEN for ~$114K I'd probably buy one.

My thoughts exactly. The centre cockpit idea stems from sailboat/motor sailer design concepts methinks. But as it is not a sailboat, it need not be constrained by the sail and mast associated issues. To me it looks good, but the layout appears to be a solution to a problem that does not exist. Splitting the internal protected accommodation makes little sense in a power cruiser. The larger & covered rear cockpit in a power vessel is definitely to be preferred in my view, and I have been both under sail and power for over 35 yrs.

I think you guys are missing the mass of this boat. You can't easily think of it as a 34 foot boat. She's lighter than Willy, two feet narrower than willy and 4' longer. With a minimally submerged transom and some rocker that that implies going over displacement speed (7.5k) will bring the bow up. With any head sea at all those on board should experience a through pounding.

I think his speed projections are very realistic.

Poor fwd visibility would eliminate this one for me. However the pounding flat bottom would make the aft helmsman's position a plus.

My thoughts exactly. The centre cockpit idea stems from sailboat/motor sailer design concepts methinks. But as it is not a sailboat, it need not be constrained by the sail and mast associated issues. To me it looks good, but the layout appears to be a solution to a problem that does not exist. Splitting the internal protected accommodation makes little sense in a power cruiser. The larger & covered rear cockpit in a power vessel is definitely to be preferred in my view, and I have been both under sail and power for over 35 yrs.

There is nothing new about the split cabin arrangement and narrow beam on this boat. It is basically a common older design concept. The mid ship area in front of the pilot house usually had the engine room. Most boats built to this design type were not mass produced and that is what may be new if this ever gets off the drawing board. This type can be FD or as in this case SD. The advantages of this design is low CG safety(bulkheads between three compartments)economy and the option for 10K with relatively good sea keeping. It is not on the right side of the boat cottage ratio. Many if not almost all of the modern trawler types have gone to the right side of the boat cottage curve to satisfy the desire for interior room and home like surroundings. Many couples buying a retirement boat today don't want to be constantly reminded and inconvenienced because they are on a boat. On this boat one would always be aware of being on a boat. This old fashion design runs against the grain and if well done will be a better boat one that many skippers and most woman will not like. The common cry will be were is the cottage?

The biggest question mark to me is the price. $114,000 for a new 34 ft trawler is too cheap.
If they really can deliver on the promises at close to the $114k price, I think it will sell well, it would be a bargain. It would be so refreshing for a new boat to actually be affordable.

My last boat was a 2009 Beneteau 34 with the list price of $129k. It was the same length, beamier at 12 feet, and made in the USA. The sailing equipment cost on it had to be at least $30k, more likely $40k. So, I think the announced price is attainable.

This boat looks very interesting on paper, would love to see it in person. I like the fuel capacity, range, low draught and windage. Appears to be a proper design for singlehanding, although I am questioning the utility of the wheel in the cockpit without engine/thruster controls. Also, sceptical about the forward cabin comfort. Would probably want to swap the sleeping area with the galley. A bimini over the cockpit will most likely look terrible.

Am I the only one that has concern about a company and a product where there is no photo of the actual product? Every image on their website is of a computer generated image. Apparently there isn't one completed example of this boat.

I agree, Mick. No one on earth has ever set eyes upon this mystery boat, let alone ride in it. Many interesting ideas never see the light of day when real world issues of financing, employment requirements and building leases surface. But still....it's fun to talk about them.

Seapiper 35

Actually, if you sign in the news blog on facebook, many of these issues are already addressed. Available optional 110 Yanmar, built in step port for a sail mast, they've hired two design engineers from Carver and begun construction on boat numbers 1-4, in a plant in San Diego, and these first four boats are already sold. Each boat is hand built, not mass produced. They've already conceded they have to lengthen it to a 35' and selling price raised to 130k (equipped) and initial cost raising with each sequential boat up to a max of 150k at about # 8. Personally, I want to see it live and in color , too, but I hope they succeed and make a lot more. I want one to do the Eastern Great Loop, but as someone above alluded to, my admiral has to be convinced of both the boat and the loop.:blush:

SeaPiper sketch was actually drawn on a napkin on a flight from Hawaii to California! I

Maybe he ran out napkins on that flight, so he couldn't draw a better design.

8.5' beam that will be a real stability issue

No way!

When I first saw this boat I was really intrigued. But when I dug deeper into the design my engineering eye saw a number of design aspects that would really not work for me. 2 biggies for me are the "segregated" center section and floor hatches in that center section above the engine. I see salt water dripping directly into the engine and or electrics in the engine room. My wife noticed that you have to go outside to get to the head. Yuck. Definitely not the boat for us.

Ken

Last edited:
I also would not want to be among the first four boats. I already got burned that way once. You" older" folks (ahem) remember '72 Chevrolet Vega with aluminum blocks? Seen one lately? I ordered one direct, sight unseen, except for pictures, while stationed in the P.I. Then I got stationed in Southern Georgia and made the mistake of driving it to Disney World when Epcot looked like the half finished Death Star. Car never made it back. Think I'll let them work out the bugs first. I do want to do the Loop but I kinda wanna finish it.

Well I guess none of us has seen one in person. It is an interesting design, but I wonder why they kept it to a beam of 8-1/2 feet. Unless you had a full one ton truck with duallies you wouldn't want to tow this thing. It would have a tow weight of ten tons.

On further thought the beam is probably to allow container shipment.

David

Won't fit in a container without disassembly.

But they do say this on the website:

"The flat bottom section combined with 8ft-6in beam makes Seapiper into a true trailerable trawler. Not only does it allow for simple winter storage but it also enables cross country transport on a commercial flat bed trailer. No special permits will be required enabling inexpensive transport over land."

I'm thinking it might roll something like this!

There's no way on God's green earth that I'm walking outside my boat to use the head on the "other" inside of my boat. Great point on the RW washdown for the main engine. I also hope there's great drainage in the fwd cockpit.

TTBOMK, I have hull #1 of the Californian 34 LRC. Any problems with it being hull 34-01 (if any) would have been solved many years ago. But that was an early hull in an established boat building company, Marshall Boats.

I wouldn't want to be the recipient of an early hull done by a brand new, upstart boat company. Lots of risk there.

Last edited:
It is certainly not a boat that would interest me, but I am glad to see someone trying to come up with a new design at a very reasonable price point. I hope they are successful.

Dave

Not gonna win any beauty awards but hey, what do I know.

Excuse me Flywright, I lived in Missouri in the Early 60's, with no running water. Going outside to use the facilities was mandatory. So was digging a new hole every year to set the "facilities" over. Guess it's what you know; to me, a non issue. My older brother went to college in Joplin and told my dad he could design and build an inside toilet. my dad was incredulous, "I buy you books, I send you to college, and when you come home all you want to do is crap in the house!" (Very old Ozarks tale) The last part. First part is true.

It seems like a larger version of some of the nimble boats. That's quite an interesting idea though.

Back
Top Bottom