"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1995 Halvorsen 51 Pilot House; right side up!

1982 32' IG Sedan

I have now had our 1982 34 foot Island Gypsy Sedan for about four months. WE LOVE HER! Great on fuel and very easy to handle. It's amazing how well made the IG's are. Mine is technically an antique and yet except for some windows frames that we are restoring and an exhaust manifold issue, she is perfect.

So glad we moved up to a trawler from our past 26 foot Four Winns and Chaparral cruisers! Both are great boats but expensive to run and nowhere close to the cabin space and overall "Classic lines".

Attachments

• Island G 2.jpg
    Island G 2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Island g 1.jpg
    Island g 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 105
Even your IG badges look in good shape. Window rot is endemic, keeping the drainholes drilled through the frames clear is essential.
The 32 has great space for size, the fitout is in good balance. I went close to buying one with raw water cooled twin Lehman 80s, no heat exchangers, still not sure if it was the right decision. Enjoy your IG32!

We certainly like our 32. Lost interior space coming off a close to 40' sedan type cruiser, but the flybridge and deck space more than compensate.

Attachments

• av2.jpg
    av2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 108
Having just recently sold my Gourmet cruiser 32, I've had the opportunity to compare my (new to me) 42 Ocean Alexander with the GC. Of course the OA is a much faster boat (which I really dig!) but I miss the "simplicity" of the Halvorsen boat. It was not only a less complicated (systems) boat, it was "tough!" Having driven it for over 7 years and experiencing memorable short cruises, it's hard not to appreciate what we had. Don't get me wrong, the OA is a roomy, elegant, fast boat and we have already been off shore more than we did in the GC but the "effortless" enjoyment of the Halvorsen 32 will be long remembered.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpg
    IMG_1114.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 120
Still right side up but working on way to many things at the same time. Right now needing to find out what kind of oil goes in the transmission

Last edited:
I am not able to make out the tag. Mine is a cat behind a turbo V8 Cat 3208 More HP than I ever will need

Last edited:
3 months update

Having owned our IG 36 now for 3 months am please to say that we are really enjoying the Trawler experience and the comfort that these vessels provide.
Am still learning how every thing works and how to maintain the vessel myself as I like to do most things myself, so far have serviced both engines and transmissions, and the genset, replaced missing plugs in teak decks, upgraded sound system, installed Webasto diesel heater, replaced VHF , fitted weaver snap davits for dinghy, replaced old plow anchor with a new Sarca excel, and love it, sets 1st time every time.
We have done several trips away and looking forward to lots more time on the water.

Attachments

• Vivante 3.jpg
    Vivante 3.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Viv 5.jpg
    Viv 5.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Viv 12.jpg
    Viv 12.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Viv 14.jpg
    Viv 14.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Aft cabin.jpg
    Aft cabin.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Viv ^.jpg
    Viv ^.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Viv 17.jpg
    Viv 17.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 96
nice boat. I like you're bimini top over the after section of the boat. What year is you're boat.
What kind of windlass do you have.
Peter
Out of the Blue
Great Lakes, Michigan

Hi Peter
Boat was launched Dec. 1998, anchor winch is Muir cougar.
Cheers Phil.

Attachments

• Viv 11.jpg
    Viv 11.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 86
Nice boat.

You still have Ice on the water in North Vancouver :lol:

We are looking at, and considering, a 1978 36' Island Gypsy, hull #11, from memory. It is a non-aft cabin model, with flybridge. Apparently, it is the last wooden hull in this length the Kong and Halvorsen factory in HK built.

It has twin Ford Tempest engines (2715E). Fuel consumption is said to be ~20l/hr (5US gals/hr) combined at a cruise of 8kn. 8kn seems a bit optimistic for a waterline of 32', but it is an SD hull; I have no experience with these.

I have read all of this thread; assuming the hull is sound (she is slipped presently, and the shipwright is both maintaining and surveying her), what are the most common major potential problems with IGs of this vintage?

Separate questions now: how do these semi-displacement hulls behave in decent seas (like the 3–4m we see here quite regularly on the South Coast)? If we buy her, we would want to explore the coast and not stay inside. Thanks in advance!

The fuel consumption and cruise speed seem realistic enough. They are economical engines. I suggest looking into parts availability for Tempest marinization parts, you should be ok for the Ford parts. I have Lehmans, but it`s the same base engine.
My Owners Manual shows the LWL as 32ft 10",for the fibreglass version. No info is given for wooden versions.
Do you mean 3-4M swells? If so, it should cope if they are not breaking, but if you mean wind waves....NO. I experienced 2 M waves forward of beam on,didn`t enjoy it at all. They are a good coastal cruiser, but choose your days.
Are you retaining the shipwright who maintains the boat for the seller as your surveyor? If so,an unusual arrangement.
I keep an eye on IG36s on the market, I`ve not seen this one. There was a wooden one sold on Lake Macquarie recently,but I think it had the aft cabin.
The usual problem with IGs like this is deck issues top and bottom and window issues(rot), and resulting water ingress. Rusty steel fuel tanks are possible, esp the tops with water ingress,but mine and (I think) 2 other Australian early 1980s 36s on TF still have original tanks.
With a wooden boat the hull is an obvious concern, but same applies to the fiberglass versions prone to osmosis.
Feel free to ask anything further. Other members may have other thoughts.

Thanks Bruce, that's very helpful.

Here's an image of Amicus:

IG-at-GP.JPG

My partner looked her over this afternoon (on the slip until Friday; I will help the owner take her off) and she said. "It's very high"; she means the windage/freeboard. I thought the same; this is one of the disadvantages of semi-displacement hulls, I feel. I volunteer with Marine Rescue; we always seem to do rescues in poor weather and that almost always means moderate to strong winds. The IGs have decent keels, but there's not a lot of mass below the waterline to counteract that windage. That's just concepts, of course—what are they like in reality?

In my question, I was referring to a combination of wind and swell; this place is not called "windy point" for nothing!

The shipwright is retained by the owner; the boat is not on the market, but may be. The situation is that the owner is "thinking about selling" and I happen to live near the slips, so I see everything that goes up.

The deck has been replaced around the halfway point of the boat's life, I was told today.

Last edited:
HK wood hull

I had no idea they made a wooden hulled IG. Sorry but I'm no help

Hi Kit,

Our Malagari is the fiberglass version of your boat (you know you want it:devil:)

There is at least a meter of "grip" in the water, plus the resistance of the keel plus the weight of the boat all up. Yes, they have windage but no more than other boats of this size and are not pushed around nearly as much as the plastic fantastics (planing boats).

Re sea keeping, Just to add to Bruce - IG and similar boats of this ilk are not designed to be blue water passage makers - start taking water over the bow in any quantity and everything downstairs will get wet - through the forward hatch, the side windows and the helm door. Flat water and the carefully planned coastal hop - perfect - but being forced to sea for a rescue in poor weather would create a huge pucka factor (for me anyway)

Great looking boat though - even if it was upside down:ermm:

I inserted that image a few times and rotated it 180°, resaved it rotated, and yet each time the system put it in upside down... no doubt some hacker kung fu I seem not to have is needed! Can anyone reveal the secret? And I seem not to be able to edit that post today—does that capacity disappear after a period of time?

And to George: thank you for that info on heavy weather capacity.

Interesting, pic was right side up in the TF email, I think on the Forum it`s to show we are "downunder":).
That boat is unusual for timber, it`s a Europa version, extended upper decks covering walkways and cockpit,and probably some other features. How many sleeping cabins does it have?
The IG bow design is high, but the rest of the boat is typical. As Brisboy says, there is good underwater resistance to sideways windage movement due to the keel and hard chines.
I think Kong & Halvorsen stopped producing wooden 36s before ceasing larger ones in wood,my 1981 manual indicates they were still building larger models in wood. If your choice is an IG,the build quality is good, I`m not sure a wood hull is such a disadvantage considering the osmosis in f/g ones.

Check the hull timber. I know of an IG 50, built in meranti,which sank. Good furniture substitute for red cedar, resembles teak,but not good for boatbuilding.

Hello fellow Halvorsen owners. Quick question... I'm looking for any information regarding the windows, window frames and rubber glazing bead used on the Gourmet Cruisers.

We have a 2003 and need to reseal a front window. Not sure how the frames can be removed. Also, the rubber glazing on some of the windows is missing.

Thanks Much
John L.
MV Nordhus
Seattle

Hey guys, First post on this forum... I'll introduce myself formally soon. But, thanks for the wealth of information! I am an IG owner. 1991 36 Europa. I've had her for 5 years and love her. But I have a question that has been slowly developing since I met another IG owner at my marina.

He has a twin Lehman setup and I have a single John Deere.

When I first saw his boat (Different year, but close) it sits much lower in the water. Mine probably sits 8 inches higher than his.

Mine is also very tender and rolly in swells. Wondering if there is anyone who may have some ideas about proper ballast? Do you think with a single engine, I am that much lighter and I need to add a thousand pounds of ballast? ( I think each Lehmans weighs about 1200lb)

I've been searching the forum and can't seem to find anything that directly addresses this issue. So any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

I am very interested in any replies. I do not know if Amicus has ballast; she does have twin engines (can't recall maker). Is there space fore/aft of the engine to add ballast easily?

An interesting side note: even semi-displacement boats seems to follow Captain Beebe's ideas on the fuel efficiency of running at S/Ls of 1.1 and 1.2—when I throttled her back to 1,000 rpm from the 1,800 (8.5Kn) that her owner usually runs her at, speed dropped to 7Kn. She felt and sounded happy at that speed.

When I took Amicus outside over the bar, I felt that her hull design contributed significantly to her rolling motion. If I owned her, I would seriously consider adding bilge keels (following a naval architect's specifications).

Back
Top Bottom