Getting in the salon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wataworld

Vessel Name
Wataworld
Vessel Make
Defever 44+5
Hi All
I picked up my new to me boat this past weekend, but I need to make a couple of keys for the salon. I have attached a couple of pics but am looking for suggestions on who might make them.1999 Defever 49 also attached a pic of the boat before purchase

Gregg

20150422_142849[1].jpg

20150422_142908[1].jpg

20150131_120610.jpg

That's a mighty fine key you have there Mate. Oh, the boats a fine looking vessel also!
As far as the key, we'll wish I could help. Tried a Google search with no answer.
Might get lucky with a local locksmith.
Good luck!

We have a similar type of key. Had them hand cut by a locksmith shop. They use a suitable blank and start filing, and they know how to charge for it. Only in steel unfortunately.

We have a similar type of key. Had them hand cut by a locksmith shop. They use a suitable blank and start filing, and they know how to charge for it. Only in steel unfortunately.

:thumb::thumb:

Be sure not to mistake a key cutting operation for a true locksmith. If a true locksmith is not available locally try a machine shop as any competent machinist worth their salt can replicate one too. Bring your wallet.

Whatever key you use, get rid of those bead chains! It will no doubt fail and come apart when you are on a sandy beach or walking down the dock. BTDT. Crimped wire or knotted nylon line fused.

Nice 44+5. If you have not yet joined the Defever club I recommend joining it as the daily forum page can answer all of your questions. Well worth the $25 annual subscription fee.

Go online to www.defevercruisers.com

Good luck

RT, educate them one by one, one step at a time.

What's the make of the lockset? That might be a help?

Salon? What's your price for a pedicure and shampoo? Are facial shaves offered? ;) ... The Coot's saloon shown here with pleasant conversation. In this case, Jennifer (former moderator) to Jennifer (wife of current moderator):

Salons belong in strip malls, not boats.

Last edited:
:banghead: Some say to-may-to, some say to-mah-to. It matters not one iota in the conversation or level of understanding except to serve as a mental detour for some.

Here's a simple equation to help you remember.

salon = saloon

flybridge = flying bridge

Give MMI Marine a try in Costa Mesa. It's entirely possible that they will have it or can get it. Their web site won't help, but if you call and send those pictures, they can probably help.

Greetings,
Am I to assume you are looking for a key for your SALOON doors?

RT: I haven't seen a lock on a saloon door. On the other hand, locks on salon doors are common. Therefore.....

Attachments

• salon door.png
    salon door.png
    124 KB · Views: 644
  • saloon door.jpg
    saloon door.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 366
Greetings,

saloon

/səˈluːn/

noun
1. (Brit) Also called saloon bar another word for lounge (sense 5)

2. a large public room on a passenger ship

3. any large public room used for a specific purpose: a dancing saloon

Also from an etymology dictionary http://www.etymonline.com/index.php

saloon (n.)
1728, anglicized form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

Last edited:
Try these people in Deland Fl. The Brass Works Inc - Brass & Stainless Steel Hardware they have made them for Monk owners (similar key) in the past. Lots of other hardware on their site.

Same key as Bayliner used, there should be a number on it. Call the Brass Works give them that number and a few $$ and they'll send you a new key, I bought 3 #8 keys and don't remember the total cost so it couldn't have been much.

I got it ordered from Seafarer Marine, George Foley was a big help! Along with all of you!
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever key you use, get rid of those bead chains! It will no doubt fail and come apart when you are on a sandy beach or walking down the dock. BTDT. Crimped wire or knotted nylon line fused.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BLACK tyrap works well also. Will not let go unless cut off.

Greetings,

saloon

/səˈluːn/

noun
1. (Brit) Also called saloon bar another word for lounge (sense 5)

2. a large public room on a passenger ship

3. any large public room used for a specific purpose: a dancing saloon

OK RT. You win. I guess saloon should be the way it is.

Attachments

• manatee with saloon doors.jpg
    manatee with saloon doors.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 58
Sorry, can't help with the key duplication.
Luckily, it was well covered before the topic drift happened.

saloon (n.)
1728, anglicized form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it.

Looks like we can have it both ways; salon, saloon, or salooon ...
... just to be bipartisan ... :dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom