Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #117
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
OK good chance I missed a chapter, so I apologize if this was discussed, what are you using the heaters in the raw water distribution box?

All works is amazing, not sure 100% on-board with the raw water wash-down and AC pump setup, some of those plastic to metal fittings could have load on them and fatigue and given it's below the waterline could cause a problem.
Hi Mike,

The heaters provide a power load on the generator of each 1,000 watts or combined 2,000 watts (2 KW). If I want to run the generator for a couple of hours at anchor to partially recharge the house battery bank, the load is marginal on the genset. Turning on the heaters allows me to increase the total load to just under half of the generator's capacity. Most generator manufacturers want their units run with a minimum of 25 to 50% load.

The hoses on the pumps are pretty flexible with curves built into the layout to reduce stress. As most pumps for these applications are made of plastic with plastic fittings, I don't think this will be a problem. It's very common to see plastic and metal fittings combined on water pump systems.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote