Haul out 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
It's been 17 months since the last haul. This time is new bottom paint, zincs and hull paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 182
Looks good for 17 months. I assume your bottom is cleaned regularly. What brand of bottom paint will you be using and what color?

We clean it every spring. It is Petit Unepoxy and this time she is going blue.

I use Petit bottom paint as well (Trinidad) and have been very pleased. My bottom is cleaned every month (diver) considering barnacles start forming within two weeks or so.

We clean it every spring.
We do the same....well, except substitute "month" for "spring." Oh and in the summer substitute "3 weeks" for "month." What a difference from location to location.

Have my boat hauled out annually: inspection, power scrub, touch-up as needed, and every other year, a new layer of bottom paint. Includes inspection/replacement of the hull's ten zincs, as well as propeller treatment where barnacles like to reside. Am considering having in-water inspection and under-water hull wipe-downs annually scheduled between haul outs.

Last edited:
Mark,

Between your annual haul out, does your bottom receive regular cleanings/inspections from a diver? As BandB stated, amazing the difference between locations. Barnacles form quickly in the warm Florida waters.

I'm considering having under-water inspections, especially 18 months after the last bottom treatment. Waters here aren't as warm as those in Florida, but barnacles are attracted to the boat's propeller, thus annual propeller treatment.

We use Pettit SeaMate. Probably their cheapest at about $100 gal. Bought it in Alaska for $82 gal. I started using it because it seems just about the entire fishing fleet in Craig Alaska uses it. I saw stacks of gallons piled up in the store. It seemed OK in Alaska but these waters here in Washington are warmer.

Mark

Between your annual haul out, does your bottom receive regular cleanings/inspections from a diver? As BandB stated, amazing the difference between locations. Barnacles form quickly in the warm Florida waters.

Larry, I've been in the same marina as Mark for the past 20 months.

Before coming here when I was in the fresh water of the CA Delta, I had a diver clean the bottom once two years after a haul out and he said it really didn't need much. I was in a covered 10-boat shed and only the aft 10 ft needed light cleaning. Not enough light reached the mid and fwd hull to grow anything.

Here in the brackish waters near the mouth of the Napa River I'm finding I need a cleaning every 6 months and zincs serviced every 3 months...so my diver comes every 3 months now. I'm still in a covered slip, but it's not a shed like before.

If and when I return to the inland Delta waters, I'll look for another protected shed like I had before. I really enjoyed the effects (or lack thereof) of fresh water on my hull and running gear.

Long 4 days of work!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 167

Here in the brackish waters near the mouth of the Napa River I'm finding I need ...zincs serviced every 3 months...so my diver comes every 3 months now ...

That seems excessive. Once every year is more than enough for me/Coot, but then I've 10 zincs: four along the length of the hull bottom on each side and then one each on rudder and propeller shaft. While I've a steel hull, how many zincs does plastic Al/FlyWright have?

Last edited:
It's not excessive. It's based upon real world experience this past 20 months. My slip in the older section is possibly "hotter" than yours on the new side.

I have 5 zincs.

Just saying: servicing zincs every three months seems like a PIA. :eek: Al, perhaps you need more/larger zincs. You've got twice the propellers, rudders, and shafts than I.

Last edited:
My zincs get inspected quarterly but only get replaced as needed. I get a full report after each quarterly inspection and bottom cleaning. If they need to be replaced, it gets done magically. Sounds typical for many others I speak with in the bay area.

Not a PIA to me...just needed maintenance done by my diver. He said he sees a difference between the old covered docks and your new section.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1430683625.865267.jpg

Back in the water and painted to the cap rail. Next up bright work the cabin sides.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom