View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing Fool View Post
Thanks Marty:

I love to fish and I'm very good at it if I do say so myself, lol.

But I'm just a little confused over your point about differences in trawlers needed for Eastern or Western Caribbean. We love all of the islands in the Eastern! Can you explain further?
Western Caribbean requires covering more distance between places and has more exposure to the open sea. Still, I wouldn't see a lot of difference in the boat requirements, Eastern vs. Western (Western is the east coasts of Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.).

Now there is a huge difference between trips across to the Bahamas and trips to the Caribbean as the Bahamas are really just an extension of coastal cruising in many ways. Certainly not like "crossing oceans" even though getting there does require a short ocean crossing.

As to some of these areas, the boat may determine how you get there. Cancun is a great example. Clearwater to Cancun, the shortest way, is only about 450 nm. However, that's a direct gulf crossing that many wouldn't want to make. But taking the coastal route is 1600-1800 nm. Now cutting across is fine if the conditions warrant it. In a 15 knot boat it's 30 hours so generally within a fairly safe weather window. At 7 knots it's 64 hours and a window is less certain. However, cutting across you miss a lot. We will be cutting across in a week or so on our way home, but only because we've made other trips along the coast.

Good luck in your retirement and boating life. I think you'll love it and obviously you have some experience.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote