Lookin' at a new dinghy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
The Sicilian wants to get away from slat floors and get either a wooden or an aluminum floored dinghy. Any thoughts on which is better?

What size? I have an Achilles LEX-96 that has a wooden floor. Works for me, but I'd rather have a RIB. OTOH, RIBs are too heavy to easily maneuver onboard without a davit. So I live with my little Achilles. It's rated for up to 8HP.

Brig

Best inflatable I ever had was a (310?) 10'- 10" Hypalon Brig rib. wish I still had it. Got about 20 MPH out of it with an 8hp yamaha 2 stroke. Turned on a dime. Great boat

You might consider a compact RIB. I have a West Marine (Zodiac) 3.11 compact RIB. It weighs under 100 lbs. It has most of the performance of a standard RIB without the weight. The compact Rib design has a wood transom that folds down for stowage in a bag that is less than 8" high with the dinghy in it.

I also have a Great Harbor 10 rowing/sailing hard dinghy. Rows like a dream and sails very nicely too.

a Portland Pudgy - it's only 8' long but the most stable dinghy i've ever used and owned. I can stand on the gunwale (250#) and not bring any water over the side. It really does row and sail easily and was designed to replace a liferaft.

You can get an inflatable "Airdeck" floor, instead of slats. Popular here, easily inflated, it gives an (ahem) "rock hard" floor, I think there is some kind of construction within the floor envelope. My floor has a small opening so I can access a valve to inflate the small inflatable keel of my dinghy.

If one wants a hardshell dingy Livingstons are very good utility/shoreboats. The smaller sizes don't have the freeboard to be heavy load carriers or rough water boats but for basic shoreboat duty they're great,next remedy stable and pretty much indestructible.

I have no idea how available they are now as their manufacture has moved from Washington to the east coast somewhere.

Agree with you BruceK, that's the one we are lookin' at. Watched a video of two young men with backs puttin' together a wood floored dinghy and decided it was beyond the capabilities of this ol' coot.

You can get an inflatable "Airdeck" floor, instead of slats. Popular here, easily inflated, it gives an (ahem) "rock hard" floor, I think there is some kind of construction within the floor envelope. My floor has a small opening so I can access a valve to inflate the small inflatable keel of my dinghy.

That's what I just got...A Quicksilver with Airdeck floor. I' had a great ownership experience with my last Quicksilver (Mercury) and decided the Airdeck presented the lightest, easiest to handle set-up. Relatively inexpensive too if you buy non-current models through Defender..
Very nice quality..light, Big tubes, great stability.. I'll be mounting some Weaver davits to it soon and pushing it with a 2hp Honda..

20141219_142438-vi.jpg

Last edited:
We have the same thing from West Marine and are havin' a tough time inflating it. What do you inflate first? The instructions are somewhat lackin' in details.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom