What's your cruising speed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oups !

we can get diesel at "reasonable" price for refuelling :) !

If we navigate at economic speed :

1 engine @ 1500 rpm, speed 7 kts, 0,81lt/1 nm

2 engines @ 1780 rpm, speed 8kts, 1,14lt/ 1nm

And little quicker :

2 engines @ 1850 rpm, speed 9,8 kts, 1,78lt/nm

Maximum we do , just for this photo 11,6 lts @ 2300 rpm just for the photo:whistling:

9,8 kts !not 0,8 kts

And 11,6 kts @ 2300 rpm no I have not drink....no more than each days !!

:banghead:

Last edited:
Wifey B: I got passed by a snail and a turtle....and the turtle had a broken leg. :hide:

My dad used to say anytime two boats are heading in the same direction there's a race going on. Didn't matter, but the captains were nudging the throttle forward or tightening the sails as the case may be.

My dad used to say anytime two boats are heading in the same direction there's a race going on. Didn't matter, but the captains were nudging the throttle forward or tightening the sails as the case may be.

My daughters, who are competitive junior sailors, same something similar. They sail a lot, but more time "practicing" than actually racing. So when I ask whether they "raced today", they say "Dad, if we are on the water, we are racing someone".

I got passed by a sailboat.......it was going the other way.

Ted

My full displacement Willard 40' (powered by the American Diesel N6-140) makes a comfortable 7.5 knots at 1500 rpm. If I want a quiet ride I'll run at 1250-1400 and still make an honest 6 knots. Fuel burn is in the 1.5 range.

Our Selene 53 cruises at 8 knots running the engine at 1800 RPM while consuming 6.5 gal/hr.

I once got passed by a sailboat, but this time it didn't hurt my feelings.

img_323209_0_3dec3e08f622ff2a9569a47df5cfe631.jpg

Last edited:
7.6kts at 950 rpm, about 1.9gph. 19kts at 1950rpm, abt 10gph.

Not unusual for sailboats, even monohulls, to pass me going in the same direction.

7 MPH @ 1650 rpm Westerbeke 100, 6 Cylinder burling 1.5 us gallon per hour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
8.2 kts
1,800 rpm
4.2 gph
2 nmpg

DeFever 46 RPH
twin JD 4045s 135 hp

7 - 8 knots depending on tide at 1800rpm, sometimes we get 9 knots when going with the tide and 6 knots when going against it.

Single cummins 6B 115hp

With the old 36hp Volvo I usually cruised at about 6 knots, 1900 rpm.

I hope to find out next week what the Mitsubishi 42hp does. I expect than she'll be planing. :speed boat:

I could break my record of 9.6 knots being pushed by power, sail and current.

I like to run at about 2100-2200 rpms which gives me just over 7 knots at 0.6 gallons per hour. However, my wife prefers that I run at about 1,800 rpms for about 6.3 knots at about 0.4 gallons per hour. Last year I averaged 0.45 gph for the season.

New boat to us last season. single perkins 6354m na 135hp ,It seamed to like about 8kts at 2100rpm. From what I can figure its burning under 2gph . Does this sound right?

My cruise speed is decided by the Flow Scan , at 3 GPh its usually 7+K (8 - lubber mph).

12K is possible , but with only 200G of fuel, not for long.

Before we started cruising slow, 16-18 knots at 3200-3400 RPM, 1.75 nmpg.

Nowadays, 6-6.5 knots at 1300-1400 RPM. 4 to 4.5 nmpg.

Being retired makes possible cruising the Inside Passage so quietly, peacefully, with less worry about hitting floating wood, far greater range, and much more time to gawk.

RCook,
Perhaps you treasure your get up and run fast capability. Or just love the boat you have. Reading your post above I'm think'in why not switch to an Albin 25 and get 12 nmpg. Must be some good reason as both boats are trailerable. The Albin's a bit rolly .. perhaps you don't like that? I didn't in certian conditions that didn't happen often and then I REALLY didn't like the snap roll.

Hi Eric,

Our Bounty 257 may not be the most fuel-efficient 26-footer around, but it may be one of the most quality-built, and best-equipped for both cruising and fishing, at least among planing hulls.

Thought many times over the years about switching boats. If we were to decide to spend a bunch to sell our 17-year-old boat (still in very excellent shape) and upgrade, it would be for a much larger cruiser, like maybe a 37 Nordic Tug.

We did the math with the general formula: hull speed = 1.34 x square root of water line
(not loa) and try to stay just under for least effort.
It turns out for us that's 1250 rpms running ford lehmans.
Apparently it's not good to run at such moderate/low rpms, but it sounds so stable and reassuring. (And she's a smokey wee tart any harder)

Depends how soon we want to get someplace. 10 Kn is comfortable, 15 kn accomplishes the job that much sooner. The advertised top speed of our boat is 18 kn. Have not pushed the throttle levers all the way forward...
I really don't care about fuel consumption, you might burn more fuel going faster, but you will also get there sooner. Depends what your time is worth.

Today, this kayaker rode my boat's mild wake today for about a mile while the Coot was making its normal cruise speed of 6.3 knots.

So far I'm finding that 1600rpm at 7.3kt with 3.7 gph fuel consumption works well for my KK54. That's probably a medium speed cruise. 1800rpm gives me 8.3kt and about 5 gph for a faster cruise. I'm not sure about the lower end yet since my experience has only been with my delivery and I haven't wanted to go that slowly.

Richard

The Volvo TMD31A (100 HP) @2500 RPM 6 1/2 knots and the 5 KW Generator burns about 1 1/2 GPH total @ 2500 rpm.

Around 8K at 1550 rpm on my Lehman 120. Burn under 2 gph.

Our slow cruise is at 1100 rpm, 8 kn, burning 11 litres (2.8 gals) per hour. This is for looking for fish and pottering about.
Displacement cruise is at 1300 rpm, 9.2 kn, burning 18 litres (4.7 gals) per hour. We find this a good compromise.
Fast cruise is at 1600 rpm, 11 kn, burning 30 litres (8.5 gals) per hour. This is great when the weather is bad as the chines work to reduce rolling. I previously thought we used 45 litres at this speed but discovered an error in the dipstick markings.
Lately we've been using the fast cruise a lot because diesel is cheap!

The Cat 3406 gets a bit smelly after prolonged slow running - crankcase fumes leaking back from air-cleaner/Racor CCV. A short (10 mins) run at 1600 eliminates fumes. Wouldn't want to travel any slower....

As a recovering speed freak I find that having six people on board is the cure. The boat sits in a deep hole at WOT and creates one in my bank balance. So I affect all manner of aged maturity and set things back to 1500 RPM. Then I take a pee and enjoy the contentment of the engines and the way the wash still pours past the window.

Having the option to boot it makes restraint possible, even for an Irishman like me.

Back
Top Bottom