Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
Heron
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
One thing you might also want to consider is that Racor recommends installing their filter on the suction side of any transfer pump. This prevents pressurized emulsification of any water which may be present upstream of the filter. Also the turbine is designed for a specific flow rate and needs to be properly sized in order to do its job effectively (for the walbro the 500 is the size you need). The large fleet guard upstream when plugged may prevent this. Do you know the return rate of fuel for your engine? If your tank/tanks are getting all the return fuel, a rise in temperature could be contributing to the asphaltene precipitation you have been seeing.
I Want to retain the Racor for running filtration only (along with the Fleetguard and Volvo on-engine filter) as it has been running now (and the past 5 years). All are water separators. Based on those pics I highly doubt that fleetguard will ever plug with regular change outs from now on. I's the first filter in-line and will capture the bulk of any junk in the system. It can capture a whopping amount as evidenced by the pictures. The pump is really for at dock circulation/polishing and "Y's" just before the Racor. Fuel will be filtered down to 10 microns with the "polisher". All water issues, should I have any, will be captured by the 2 water separators upstream. Both accessible and easy swapped or drained of water. Dunno the return rate or temps of the fuel (Volvo TAMD41P 200hp turbo) and there's not much I could do about that anyway. Asphaltene conditioner, some fresh fuel and regular running seem to be the solution.

Again, despite the gruesome pictures of that filter, the engine has continued to run perfectly. Just a long deferred maintenance issue by the previous owner(s). The new system is simple (one switch and one valve) and will be worlds better as well as versatile.