Oil Drip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tegdesign

Vessel Name
Nordvind
Vessel Make
Nova Heritage 36
Hello All, noticed about an eye dropper worth of oil in my clean drip pan yesterday. I haven't tracked the location of the source, had guests on board so I'll need to go back and spend time down there and see if I can track it down. I just changed my air breathers, and fuel/water separators. Doubt that has anything to do with it.

I'm wondering if any amount of oil drip should be expected on my old engines? They have about 1200 hours on them.

If you have a Ford Lehman 135 I can give you clues on where to look for a leak.

Looking at my post on my phone I see that signatures don't show. That's where I have my boat and engine spec listed. I have twin Volvo tmd41a engines. '1987

My Nova 36 has Volvo TMD40s and the starboard engine has developed a leak ( only when the engine is runnin')under the timing gear case. It is so slow a leak, I'm not all that worried about it.

My Volvo has only 500 hours but it is 12 years old. It developed a leak at the oil pressure sensor--nothing major but it was fixed. I originally thought the leak was coming from the timing case. I also replaced the oil pan gasket last year (whole engine came out).

thanks all! now i'm not so worried and have a couple specific places to look.

I have twin ford Lehman 120 I have a oil leak now on both engine at the rear I read on your forum that it could be from a freeze plug on the end of the cam shaft, at first I thought it might be a rear seal. Does anyone know any thing about this I would like to get more information for my mechanic. Thank you Bill

I have twin ford Lehman 120 I have a oil leak now on both engine at the rear I read on your forum that it could be from a freeze plug on the end of the cam shaft, at first I thought it might be a rear seal. Does anyone know any thing about this I would like to get more information for my mechanic. Thank you Bill

There are several possible leak locations that could end up dripping at the rear of the engine. The two most common are the valve cover and the breather valve at the top of the valve cover. I would say a careful cleaning of the top and rear of the engine then a careful examination after each run will help pinpoint the location(s).

Ken

Brian at ADC said the rear seal normally doesn’t leak, it’s the freeze plug on the cam.

Back
Top Bottom