For you blowboaters turned stinkpotters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
We used to be sailors (although we still have a small sailboat) before we switched to power. We keep this on our boat to remind us*the heresy that we commited.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Saturday 4th of December 2010 03:50:45 PM

Attachments

• mcclure.jpg
    mcclure.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 162
I love it Dave!* Where can I get one?*
clap.gif

SeaHorse II wrote:

clap.gif
Don't know Walt. I scanned it out of some article on, or that had art work by, Darrell McClure in WoodenBoat magazine years ago. Probably violated some copyright laws in the process. He used to do cartoons for Yachting Magazine that I remember from my young(er) days. If you wish, I have all the issues of WoodenBoat with master index and can probably find the issue with the cartoon.* From that I might be able to scan/copy the cartoon for you to print. (Shh!) Actually, our copy is now somewhat mildewed and could stand replacing. Or, once the correct issue is identified, one could order the online back issue of the magazine and maybe be able to "save" the image for later printing.

dwhatty wrote:

SeaHorse II wrote:

clap.gif
Don't know Walt. I scanned it out of some article on, or that had art work by, Darrell McClure in WoodenBoat magazine years ago. Probably violated some copyright laws in the process. He used to do cartoons for Yachting Magazine that I remember from my young(er) days. If you wish, I have all the issues of WoodenBoat with master index and can probably find the issue with the cartoon.* From that I might be able to scan/copy the cartoon for you to print. (Shh!) Actually, our copy is now somewhat mildewed and could stand replacing. Or, once the correct issue is identified, one could order the online back issue of the magazine and maybe be able to "save" the image for later printing.

Love it.* Please do and post it here if you would.

I don't see a difference.* Boating is boating and it is all good.

I learned to sail well before anyone let me into a john boat with a 5HP engine.* Sailing is*a great skill and being aware of the wind makes one a better boater all around.

Egregious wrote:

I learned to sail well before anyone let me into a john boat with a 5HP engine.* Sailing is*a great skill and being aware of the wind makes one a better boater all around.
I think the point of it Woody, (and I agree with your last statement completely), is all of us who previously sailed will have at some time made some snide remark about "those blasted fizz boaters - know nothing about the rules of the sea (road)", or words to that effect.* And, we all know there is an element of truth in it sometimes, the way some act out on the water.** However, we have also envied their ease of anchoring with power winches etc, (I know I did), and also their superior shelter from the sun and rain.* So when we actually join them, there is that element of passing guilt, (only a tinge mind- and very brief), as we remember the 'joys' of beating sun, (except where Marin boats), and back-aching hauling in of the anchor by hand, drenching rain as one manfully steers the yacht with family snug out of it below...etc...etc...and it's kinda nice to enjoy that fleeting guilt....immediately overwhelmed by warm fuzzies as you now review the headroom, toilets that work, anchoring at the flick of a switch...and oooh, is that a bit of a rain squall ahead - I better shut the door and windows, oh, and reef the main - oh no, that's right...I don't have to.....
Still, there was something about humming along with no noise at all except the swish of water alongside, aand that feeling of being at one with the elements - on a nice day.....

For some reason I am reminded of a weekend cruise we took 25 years ago on a chartered 25' Cape Dory. We set out on the Rappahannock River with our two girls ages 5 and 3, our son was two more years in the making. As we approached the Rt 3 bridge, a pretty good squall approached from upriver and I went forward to drop the jib and reef the main, instructing my wife to keep us pointed into the wind. I should mention that she was a farm girl and had not had much (any?) experience on sailboats (I was a foredeck monkey on a club racer). At some point I glanced back towards the cockpit to check on my crew as the seas had become a little confused. All three were in life jackets, my wife with her arms around each daughter who were somehow asleep, steering with her leg drapped over the tiller. One of those kodak moments that went unrecorded, which was a good thing 'cause any video with sound would have viewers thinking the Admiral had come up thru the ranks. She was not a happy camper and I think it was my fault. Somehow we're still at it, boating and married.

SeaHorse II wrote:

clap.gif
Well, I searched all my WoodenBoat issues. Not there. Must have found it in an old Yachting Magazine or elsewhere.* Wish that I could find it again. Unfortunately, sources for McClure's boating cartoons seem to be scarce on the web.
cry.gif

An attempt to copy the screen, blow it up and convert to a JPEG. I can PhotoShop it later.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 5th of December 2010 10:29:27 AM

Attachments

• zoomed in cartoon.jpg
    zoomed in cartoon.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 178
Good idea Walt. How will it print at 8 1/2 X 11 or so? I vaguely recall that when I initially scanned it the cartoon as printed in the magazine was fairly small, so I enlarged it and touched it up with Photoshop for framing.

Egregious wrote:

We too are "Reformed" sailors, and despite a love for sailing, we will never go back.* I'll never forget one trip to Alaska when we were buddy boating with a guy on a sail boat. It was early one very cold morning, and a storm was passing through.* He was about a mile ahead when he called us to make sure we were OK. You could hear the tension in his voice as he sat in the cockpit in his four weather gear, rain drops stinging his face, ice water running down his back, all while hanging on for dear life as the boat was tossed about.* I didn't have the nerve to tell him that I hadn't bothered to get dressed yet, had my feet on the dash with a cup of coffee in hand, Sirius radio was playing in the background, the heater was maintaining a very comfortable 70deg's, and the stabilizers were keeping the boat rock solid.* I simply told him were were holding our own, and to call if he had any further problems.** THAT, I think is a real difference........Arctic Traveller

SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave:* In its present form its 9 X 12. I'll sharpen it up (maybe add some color) and trim it to fit my 8 X 10 frame and head for my best friend's boat. He's a retired Admiral and drives a beautiful blue hulled saiboat.* Thanks for this opportunity!
handshake.gif
Thank you! That is, if you email me it to me as well. Also, please tell us your friend's reaction.

Back
Top Bottom