Cruising a 50-60' boat in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rostan

We are in the process of looking for a ocean going trawler that we would like to use to tour Europe.* How easy is it to navigate around the Med and the costs involved? * We would also be interested in using the boat to navigate around Great Britain and Ireland so does anyone have input on that area as well?* Are their any rivers that a boat that size would be able to navigate from the English Channel or Baltic Sea to the Med?*

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several canals from the English Channel to the western Med. None of these will take a motor boat of any size. Air draft will be a problems as bridges are as low as 3 meter / 10 feet.

The only alternative I could think of would be to enter a canal system in*Baltic*Germany or Poland and from there connect to the Donau. The Donau flows into the Black Sea. Heading west, the distance from Romenia to the Gib is 2000+ nautical miles.

I have a c and l searanger 51 and we cruise the greek islands. We are based in gouvia marina corfu island. Ionian sea. The greek gov. have introduced a cruising tax from Jan. 1 2014 €100 per metre per year over 12 metres.
Still its a great place to cruise.
Ivor

That cruising ground is hard to beat. I suppose the Greeks are going to be collecting money wherever they can find an excuse to. No big deal if you're 13 metres or so, but the last time I was in the Islands, there were gobs of 30 metre plus yachts in Greek harbors. Come to think of it, I suppose most of those belong to boaters that couldn't care less about another 5 grand or so in taxes.

There are several canals from the English Channel to the western Med. None of these will take a motor boat of any size. Air draft will be a problems as bridges are as low as 3 meter / 10 feet.

232323232%7Ffp73462%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D373955%3A2%3A%3A336nu0mrj

The only alternative I could think of would be to enter a canal system in*Baltic*Germany or Poland and from there connect to the Donau. The Donau flows into the Black Sea. Heading west, the distance from Romenia to the Gib is 2000+ nautical miles.

But you will be safe - a version of the EU inside passage.

That cruising ground is hard to beat. I suppose the Greeks are going to be collecting money wherever they can find an excuse to. No big deal if you're 13 metres or so, but the last time I was in the Islands, there were gobs of 30 metre plus yachts in Greek harbors. Come to think of it, I suppose most of those belong to boaters that couldn't care less about another 5 grand or so in taxes.

Not gonna pay if I don't anchor or buy fuel there.

These people took 50ft diesel duck across Europe through rivers/canals all the way to Turkey. I think they had to take the mast off but apart from that they managed to get under everything. http://www.mydoramac.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom