Fresh Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsterk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
My Jabsco Sensor Max 14 3.7gpm pump just died on me. This is the pump that supplies my fresh water system. I was about to order a replacement (it looks like the sensor max has been replaced by the Par Max) and figured I should ask opinions of pumps. Anyone recommend switching it out for a different one?

We have a Jabsco Par-Max 4 4.3 GPM pump, and it works well, so far. It's a replacement for the original pump, which was a similar model but slightly lower GPM rating, I think.

A Jabsco advantage might be if your unit currently uses the same snap-in ports and if the spacing for those ports would remain the same; installation could be pretty easy.

OTOH, our installation also includes a small accumulator tank, and if your original pump didn't need one... you may find other units more suitable.

-Chris

Last edited:
I use the Sure Flow , I no longer purchase Jabsco

Their wash down unit has a far larger motor than the FW units , and seems to last very well.

Should the pump portion die any pressure head will fit and the lower pressures required for domestic use should make the pump last even longer.

You're probably aware of this already but be careful if installing a stronger pump, or better yet, replace with one the same size.

A fellow a couple berths down from us replaced his last year with a stronger pump, then ended up walking around in ankle deep water when the increased water pressure popped a hose fitting. He was underway and didn't hear the pump running...

You're probably aware of this already but be careful if installing a stronger pump, or better yet, replace with one the same size.

A fellow a couple berths down from us replaced his last year with a stronger pump, then ended up walking around in ankle deep water when the increased water pressure popped a hose fitting. He was underway and didn't hear the pump running...

Suggestion: Turn your fresh water pump off while underway. :)

Hi
Just in the process off building a LED panel of warning lights, that will operate anytime a bilge, FWpump, etc operate. Also installing a hour meter on the bilge pumps etc. It will become part of the watch keeping routine to enter bilge pump hrs in the log.

Hi
Just in the process off building a LED panel of warning lights, that will operate anytime a bilge, FWpump, etc operate. Also installing a hour meter on the bilge pumps etc. It will become part of the watch keeping routine to enter bilge pump hrs in the log.

:thumb:

Your money might be better spent on a proper high water alarm system. If you don't already have one.

You can't see the lights nor read the meter with you're eyes closed or if you're off the boat. :)

Your money might be better spent on a proper high water alarm system. If you don't already have one.

You can't see the lights nor read the meter with you're eyes closed or if you're off the boat. :)

This is more for passages when a pump can be running unknown. High water alarms are good but by then the pump is inoperative and the pump not doing it's job or burnt out?. Or in the FW pump scenario a hose has gone and your losing the FW. If the lights on more than a few seconds you know you have a problem or a tap open. It's like scanning gauges at sea you notice things early. "A drip becomes a leak, becomes a hole becomes a open hose" A little red LED at sea becomes "why is that on?" ummh?

This is more for passages when a pump can be running unknown. High water alarms are good but by then the pump is inoperative and the pump not doing it's job or burnt out?. Or in the FW pump scenario a hose has gone and your losing the FW. If the lights on more than a few seconds you know you have a problem or a tap open. It's like scanning gauges at sea you notice things early. "A drip becomes a leak, becomes a hole becomes a open hose" A little red LED at sea becomes "why is that on?" ummh?

In a proper system when the high water alarm comes on the lower capacity day to day bilge pump may be dead but the alarm should be backed up by a large capacity emergency pump.

Lights and counters are good to have. But they shouldn't supersede a proper alarm system backed up with high capacity pumps of some kind. It should be a hand in hand kind of thing. :D

I'm on my second Jabsco Par Max in a year and this one is failing too. The motor is fine but the pressure switch is crap. I'm going to get rid of this POS and get something better. Jabsco has started making garbage.

The Sensor Max is a variable speed pump and probably wasn't installed with an accumulator tank. If you replace it with a pressure switch controlled pump be sure to install a tank.

ShurFlo makes some by pass type pumps that can be used without accumulator tanks.

Recommend calling the folks at Depco Pump and discussing your needs. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

My vote is to replace your old pump with the exact same model you have.

I personally havent found that much difference in lifespans, but I sure have found a difference in time to replace when it fails.

Use the same model and its probably a 20-30 minute job.

Screw around with your plumbing fittings and you'll likely jethro up the installation and or spend a solid afternoon screwing with it.

More advice...

Buy a spare and have it onboard. Same model. Get a spare of each of your pumps onboard, same exact model as well.

Spend your time boating instead of re-designing your plumbing system every time a pump dies.

My vote is to replace your old pump with the exact same model you have.

I personally havent found that much difference in lifespans, but I sure have found a difference in time to replace when it fails.

Use the same model and its probably a 20-30 minute job.

Screw around with your plumbing fittings and you'll likely jethro up the installation and or spend a solid afternoon screwing with it.

More advice...

Buy a spare and have it onboard. Same model. Get a spare of each of your pumps onboard, same exact model as well.

Spend your time boating instead of re-designing your plumbing system every time a pump dies.

A MONUMENTAL +1!! Both points are terrific advice.

I replaced a leaky accumulator recently with a similar-model replacement from HopCar. That part was a piece of cake. But in the process, I cleaned up some field-repaired connections with fewer components. Unfortunately, one let loose while cruising to the fishing grounds with Giggitoni also in his boat. I lost all 75 gallons of FW. (No pump light or high water alarm)

After we rafted up and got our bait in the water, I tightened the loose line and proceeded to transfer water from Ray's FW tank with his assistance. Ray hardly noticed the loss of 75 gals from his 250+ gal tank. I think my fridge took a bigger hit in the ratio of Volume available:Volume transferred. It was beer well spent!

Jabsco pressure switches have always been garbage. The little Micro or Cherry snap sw. were good sw. but to darn small to stand heavy stop/start currents and frequent cycling.

I bypassed the jabsco with a Square D pressure switch. I finally had to replace it last year after 20 years. I got it off E-bay for about $30-35. I have no idea how much I paid for the first unit. It was a 30-50psi unit.

I'm on my second Jabsco Par Max in a year and this one is failing too. The motor is fine but the pressure switch is crap. I'm going to get rid of this POS and get something better. Jabsco has started making garbage.

Was it installed along with an accumulator tank?

-Chris

:thumb:

That's my plan. Don't want to be out cruising for the week or half way around the Loop, and half to source a replacement pump before I can take another shower.

Ted

The suggestion to replace it with the same pump won't work. They quit making the Sensor Max pumps. If he doesn't have an accumulator tank in the line, I'd be looking at the ShurFlo pumps that don't need accumulator tanks.

Yes, new one gallon Groco accumulator tank. I since found out that irrigation companies sell them for 1/3 the cost of a Groco. Rats.

Instead of a flashing light panel, simply not installing the sound stand off feet will allow the pump to be heard most anywhere in the vessel, no need to stand at the helm.

Since most boats have the engine off 99% of the time while cruising , the risk of loosing one tank of water becomes low.

Xsbank
if you want to continue with the accumulator and a standard type on /off pump and NOT the variable flow pumps then do what I did with the Sqr D pressure Sw.

Look at an air compressor type pressure sw. and adjust to minimum of 25PSI with a 45 or 50 psi shutoff. Air pressure is what i used to set it up/check it. . Just be sure the sw. can be adjusted for that pressure range.. You won't need the relief function but they will start at zero pressure unlike mine.

The one I bought last summer [below] was a well type control so it has a minimum pressure to start the auto function meaning if the pressure drops to less than about 15psi , I then have to go down and overide the safety. That minimum was meant to protect the pump in case the well runs out of water. I have never run out of water although if you think you might then the protection would be a good idea.

I set mine for about 25-45psi

I used both contact sets for + & - lines and added a reverse diode to kill the backflash from the motor to further protect the contacts.

My sw. starts and stop cleanly and the old one gave 20 yr service.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-D-Well-Low-Water-Cut-Off-Pump-Pressure-Switch-20-40-PSI-FSG2J20M4BP-/230741558347#shpCntId

I do not have an accumulator tank. Which shurflo pumps have the ability to work without an accumulator tank (I have a local supplier that has a Shurflo 4901-6202 on his shelf that I could pick up today)? Based on what I'm reading online I think I want to stay away from the jabsco vflo (seems like their overcurrent/undercurrent protection is a little overzealous and leads to unwanted shut downs).

http://www.pumpagents.com/ShurfloPumps/4901-6202.html

Last edited:
There are two types of pressure system pumps that don't need accumulator tanks.

Jabsco makes variable speed pumps that will run just fast enough to supply your need. If you open the faucet just a little, it runs slow. Open the faucet more and it speeds up. This is the Vflo series of pumps.

ShurFlo stopped making variable speed pumps and went to bypass type pumps.
When you open a faucet with a ShurFlo, the pump comes on full speed just like a pressure switch pump. If the faucet isn't open enough to handle the full flow, the excess water is shunted back to the intake of the pump and is pushed back to the tank. This is a simpler system, but noisier, than the variable speed as the pump is on full speed when ever water is drawn. This is the ShurFlo Aqua King II series of pumps.
AQUA KING™ II Fresh Water Pumps

Having a new spare guarantees a long life for the original;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom