At last I have my trawler!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plate

Wow, thanks for the information. This means mine was only the 14th 32 foot IG ever made. I wonder where I can find out how many were made in total.

Thanks all of the information
We took her out today for a couple of hours here in FL where it actually warmed to about 70 for a change. We love this boat and I am slowly getting more comfortable docking, leaving, maneuvering a single screw 32 foot boat. It's taking some getting used to but I am more confident now.

This coming week I have hired a captain to help me get familiar with the engine room, (VERY SMALL- can't imagine twins in my engine room) and always will learn maintenance rituals, etc.
I'm an old salesman and not an old sailor, so despite having many IOs in the 20-26' range, the trawler is one big sail and 16,000 pounds of boat with only one engine. All that said, it's coming along just fine.
Ya gotta love a trawler, right?
Rick:socool:

Wow, thanks for the information. This means mine was only the 14th 32 foot IG ever made. I wonder where I can find out how many were made in total.
Try asking Mark Halvorsen, at Halvorsen Boat Sales.
Failing that, PM Codger2, see if he knows or will divulge an email address for Harvey Halvorsen, he designed them.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. NEW BOAT?
gtm.gif

Where do you find this stuff?

Mark Halvorsen was kind enough to write me back via email and told me there were only 9 32 foot sedans built in 1982 and only 3 shipped to America. I'm guessing I have one of the few left in this part of the world from that year.
He sure knew how to build a fine boat that could withstand the wrath of time!

Mark Halvorsen was kind enough to write me back via email and told me there were only 9 32 foot sedans built in 1982 and only 3 shipped to America. I'm guessing I have one of the few left in this part of the world from that year.
He sure knew how to build a fine boat that could withstand the wrath of time!
Glad to hear that. Mark sold me new IG flag badges couple of years back, mine were toast, he obviously has access to old records.
I looked at a 32 years ago, but the twin 80hp Lehmans were 2 raw water cooled (NO heat exchanger), so I passed. The 32 has great space for length.

That Gourmet 32 would be my choice for that length. Always loved Walt's.

Last edited by a moderator:
That Gourmet 32 would be my choice for that length. Always loved Walt's.

+1

Just wondering about the fuel consumption; can This be accurate for a 32' boat as I would have expected more than 1mpg at 10kts, or 1.5mpg at 8kts!

.Fyg, when new (and before we brought all out toys on board!), we got the following speed/consumption figures:

1400 rpm: 7 kts, 2.2 gph
1800 rpm: 8.2 kts, 4.9 gph
2200 rpm: 9.5 kts, 8.7 gph
2600 rpm: 10.7 kts, 13.1 gph
3000 rpm: 13.7 kts, 18.6 gph

Now I'm struggling to see 12 knots despite keeping my bum clean, so I put that down to the extra weight I have collected over the months. Will collect data again soon, now that she is in dock having new antifoul applied.

I'm no expert, but it has struck me that these are not the most efficient hulls around. Any particular thoughts on what*we are getting in return for that investment in fuel? What does your IG have that your old boat didn't have?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1982 32' Island Gypsy Sedan with an electric LectraSan system. I seem to have some odor in the head and not sure how to get rid of it. Are there any deodorizers I might be able to add to rid the head of the odor?

Perhaps I should double check if there might be sewage in the holding tank? It's an old boat and I don't know if anyone pumped any waste into the holding tank. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

Rick
Get some holding tank deodorant and pour it down the holding tank pump-out fill and then put plenty of water in the tank and go for a boat ride then pump out. This might solve the problem. We also use odor-Ban that can be purchased from Home Depot by the gallon, which we pour a little in the bilge, smells great.

Ray

I have a 1982 32' Island Gypsy Sedan with an electric LectraSan system. I seem to have some odor in the head and not sure how to get rid of it. Are there any deodorizers I might be able to add to rid the head of the odor?

Perhaps I should double check if there might be sewage in the holding tank? It's an old boat and I don't know if anyone pumped any waste into the holding tank. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rick

The plastic waste pipes absorb the smell after a few years even though they say they don't; there is no cure, change the pipes. (Good practice anyway just in case they split)

Thanks for all the good ideas!
Rick

Best wishes with the Island Gypsy! I recently purchased a 1995 Halvorsen 51 Pilot House with Island Gypsy fittings (e.g. at the acess doors) and nameplate. As she was missing her HIN, we had to do quite a bit of digging to satisfy all interested parties. Kong Halvorsen marketed the Island Gypsy. Joseph Kong died in about 1986 and Halvorsen bought his interest in 1990. That seems to have caused the switch to the Halvorsen name. I'm new to the Forum, I'll see if I can post a photo.

Rick, I thought I posted a reply here yesterday regarding the Kong Halvorsen plaque but it appears to have disappeared into the ether. Let's see if this post "takes".

Welcome Rick! Nice boat! More pics of the boat please...

Welcome

abaoard

!!!!!!

Welcome aboard Islandgypsy. They are nice boats indeed. Something you might like to put on the longer term plan, when you have sorted the windows and decks, could be to do what we did to our Clipper (CHB) 34, which had a similar cabin and cockpit layout, and only a small canopy out from the back of the cabin top. You can see what we did in the avatar pic, and here is another from a better angle. The canopy extension to cover most of the side decks as well as cockpit shelters the windows nicely, and just made the outdoor living all weather, and so much better.

This is exactly what I had considered doing when we were looking at IGs. Specifically the 36 which sometimes comes without covered side decks. But I've never seen it actually done before. Looks great!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom