Sleeping bags or sheets and blankets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
So, do you use sleepings bags or do you use sheets and blankets when sleeping aboard?* On the few times I've slept on boats, it was sleeping bags.* But is that the best option?* So, what are the best options for various situations?

markpierce wrote:

So, do you use sleepings bags or do you use sheets and blankets when sleeping aboard?* On the few times I've slept on boats, it was sleeping bags.* But is that the best option?* So, what are the best options for various situations?
Sheets and blankets. Layers work best. Sleeping bags only get so thin. Not thin enough for me in the summer.

Fitted sheets on the bottom ,installed over an electric Sheet if offshore or cold weather is the goal.

sheets and blankets!! Right now the kids have been using sleeping bags though until I reconfigure their stateroom from a a single double to a vberth and get beds made. RIght now their bed is a jumble of memory foam and foam egg crate thingies! :)

Depends if you think you are living aboard or just camping out.
Me I live on board and like the comforts of home.
Fitted sheets , doonas etc.

Benn

We use sheets and a high-quality faux-down quilt with a nice cotton cover. Very comfortable, as warm as you wish, comfortable when it's not so cold as well, and it doesn't make noise when you move around like nylon sleeping bags.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 23rd of November 2010 08:50:14 AM

Sheets and blankets!!!** Just changing over to the thick flannel sheets and an electric blanket for the winter.* Nothing better than a dual control electric blanket to take the chill out!

RCook wrote:

We use sheets and a high-quality faux-down quilt with a nice cotton cover. Very comfortable, as warm as you wish, comfortable when it's not so cold as well, and it doesn't make noise when you move around like nylon sleeping bags.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 23rd of November 2010 08:50:14 AM
I'm with you on this one.* Fitted sheet under and down comforter over.* Comfortable, temperature can be adjusted, and easy to make.* Tried all the others.* This seems best.

jleonard wrote:

"Sheets and blankets;* We're not camping!"

Ditto!!
Not to mention, who wants to wash sleeping bags?* We do keep them around though, and once in a cold while, we throw them over the blankets..........Arctic Traveller

Sheets and Blankets.* And the Admiral insists on nice soft ones at that.

Sheets and a down comforter, just like home!* It is our second home, after all.* We are switching to flannel sheets for the winter this weekend (which starts TONIGHT, BTW!)!* We keep the V berth made up as well, even though it is not normally in use, though we did try it out last weekend as our mattress was out being cleaned.* I feel like it looks nicer to have the beds made up.* Just like home.*
wink.gif

We are also in the sheets and blanket camp (?). While I have done a fair amount of tent camping, most of it on the AT in VA plus a couple of trips to Philmont in New Mexico (BSA high adventure camp), our boat has a real mattress so it has real sheets. The admiral jokingly says we are camping on the water but between the mattress, running water and "proper plumbing" there is quite a difference. The vistas, pace of travel and peacefulness one experiences trawlering are not unlike camping but my feet don't get as sore on a boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom