RIB Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
I have browsed the archives and can't find any info on repairing RIB's. My problem is the webbing that provides the support for the seat has perished, see photo.

I thought I would have a go at replacing the webbing, trouble is I have never done this and am not sure how to remove the existing 'patch' that holds the ends of the webbing, from the RIB without doing any damage,in order that I could then re glue the whole unit in place.

As usual any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

• RIB & fabric 029.jpg
    RIB & fabric 029.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 92
I would have a professional do it.

Barring that, I would carefully cut open and away the old square, remove the webbing and install an oversized replacement over the old piece. I'd use 5200 or 2P-10 adhesive (Which can be used to glue Starboard by the way.) to glue the new piece down with after properly preparing both surfaces.

Should be some info on the Rib forum (www.[B]rib[/B].net/forum)

You can buy replacements, so yes I would remove the whole thing and glue a new one on.

I would not cut it off (don't ask me how I know this :)). Heatguns work really well. A heatgun and simple putty knife/sraper will have it off. Just work slowly.

I have repaired hypalon dinghys using the glue Defender sells and the repairs have held for many years. Just follow the directions it comes with.

If the repair cost is scary, thinking out of the box...how about an inflatable seat?

Anyone have the pros and cons of inflatable seats if that is an option instead of a repair?

I would try the heat gun, putty knife and patience suggestion before cutting anything. Cutting seems so...permanent.

Missing some information such as the material and the manufacturer. My first move would be to talk to the manufacturer. Second, people like Defender who do sell multiple lines and materials. One thing to keep in mind too for bigger problems is that most manufacturers do sell tubes and other parts as replacement parts.

Material it's made of. Hypalon is easy to work with but PVC is an unknown to me, I have avoided getting anything but Hypalon because I am familiar with it. If you have a "whitewater rafting" supplier in your area they are a good bet with lots of experience repairing inflatables.

Sanding the edges down is usually a better bet than trying to remove the old material, then go oversize on the new piece.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention the material is Hypalon.

I took Capt Bill 11's advice and did some research on RIBnet Forums - Powered by vBulletin.

So, I am now armed with my trusty heat gun, sand paper & appropriate glue & with the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson's The Charge of the Light Brigade ringing in my ears, I will set forth and hope for a better outcome.

PS inflatable seats are not so great, I used to have one in a previous inflatable, kept falling off the dam thing.

I had an inflatable bench seat in an Avon 13', and I couldn't recommend it. Slippery (as noted previously) and didn't offer any support for your back at all. It wasn't sitting on the aluminum floor boards, and that was about the best thing about it.

Last edited:
It still can't hurt to touch base with the manufacturer if it's a brand still alive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom