Thread: name boards
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
name boards

We don't seem to have spider problems up here. We have the occasional little one on the boat that builds a beautiful web in the corner of a handrail or (most recently) in the exact center of the roll bar curve on the Rocna anchor. Very pretty when highlighted by dew in the morning.

We just leave them be. They don't make a mess and any bugs they catch are bugs that won't be bothering us.

I've read posts on the T&T list by people who keep their boats in boathouses, mostly in the southern US it seems, who apparently have very frustrating problems with spider droppings on their boats. So far as I know boathouse owners don't have this problem up here.

The only things that can become a messy pest in this area that I'm aware of besides seagulls are mammals. Muskrats in the lakes have been known to crawl up inside the exhaust outlets of boats and then chew through the exhaust hoses at which point (in a few cases) the boat sinks. So you see a lot of boats in Lakes Washington and Union with stainless grills over the exhaust outlets for this reason.

River otters, which are as at home in salt water as fresh, can make an unholy mess inside any boat they can get into with droppings, urine, and fish and crab carcasses.

And we have the occasional run-in with rats that can get aboard from docks. Carey of this forum can tell you quite a rat tale of a rat that wreaked havoc inside his lobsterboat once.

But spiders don't seem to be an issue.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 19th of November 2010 02:16:38 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote