Surveyor needed SW Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CW

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 42-125
We may soon be in need of a surveyor in the Englewood Florida area. 1987 42 foot boat, single Lehman, Northern Lights generator. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
Chris

not sure if dave goes up there but i use him in key west,top notch.tell him rick from the boat rentals referred you maybe he'll cut you a break.i dont have his number but heres what i do have.
captain david e ghidoni
accredited marine surveyor
key west marine surveyors
10-b hilton haven drive
key west florida 33040

We used Mike below and were quite happy in March of this year. He is a

Mike Davenport, Accredited Marine Surveyor

Safeguard Marine Surveying LLC
Address: PO Box 5486 Sarasota, FL 34239

Phone: 941.366.0888 800.417.0888 Fax: 941.955.5661

He is on the wrong side of the state, and I'm not sure what he would charge for the travel, but I can give a very, very strong personal and recent recommendation for Ed Rowe with Ed Rowe & Associates, Vero Beach, FL. Ed did the survey on the boat we just purchased and it was the most thorough survey I've ever seen. He was there at 8 AM sharp, and was still on the boat when we left for the airport at 3 PM. He also went out of his way to discuss everything with us. I don't think there was a single system, nook or cranny on the boat that he didn't check/climb into. My wife and I both commented after the survey that we would gladly fly Ed anywhere to conduct a survey for us in the future (and several of his customers do just that). His rates were also very fair.

Ed Rowe & Associates, Inc.
772-589-7463 office

Thanks to all for the input. It is invaluable. If anyone else has recommendations, I remain interested.

Chris

I bought my boat three years ago in Punta Gorda and had a hull surveyor and diesel surveyor. They are:

Steve Berlin, Independent Marine Surveyors Inc
Fort Meyers
239-466-4544

Daniel Mattos, Marine Engine Surveyor Inc
Fort Meyers
239-461-0366

I was very satisfied with their work and they know each other and worked together very well.

Does anyone have any experience with Adrian Volney?

Chris

Thanks to all who responded. Surveyor selected and survey scheduled.

Big difference between an insurance survey and a pre-purchase survey. That thread keyed on abuse of non-binding ABYC criteria by some surveyors during insurance surveys.

Adrian Volney did SEA LEVEL several years ago. Very knowledgable with Grand Banks. Another, extremely professional, Mike Beijar, 727.442.5210. Theses arrrgh straight up guys, no BS. Not associated with either.

Just checking to see if anyone has more up to date ideas on a good marine surveyor in the Ft Myers area?

Thanks
Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
IP 37-30

I used Henry Pickersgill December 2012. I remain very happy and would select him again. He travels and does boats all over. 352-650-5579

I bought my boat three years ago in Punta Gorda and had a hull surveyor and diesel surveyor. They are:

Fort Meyers
239-466-4544

Fort Meyers
239-461-0366

I was very satisfied with their work and they know each other and worked together very well.

I second this, and will add Eugene Sipes, and further say that these 3 are better than who we have in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, who might tout their big yacht experience (to humble you?) , but these fellows will give you your moneys worth.

Looking too...

Any updates on the info provided above? I'm looking for a general surveyor and a good engine survey. Boat is in Fort Myers.

Also -- being my first time -- what should I expect for the survey? Would it be reasonable to schedule both surveys on the same day? There will be a sea trial. I'm out of town (400 miles away), but I plan on making the trip down to be present.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

You can surely do both surveys the same day. For the engine besides them looking at it overall, seeing how it runs, are the engine mounts solid, etc... One of the best things you can do is get a sample of oil (engine, transmission, genset, etc) and have it analyzed.

Also see what kind of maintenance records they have. Generally the better the records, the better the maintenance has been.

For the regular survey, are you having it hauled?

Yes. Having it hauled. On the oil analysis: Is that something I could expect the engine surveyor to do? If not, how quick turnaround should I expect from the tester?

Yes the engine surveyor can do, all they really do is take a sample and send it out to the lab. I've gotten results in 3-5 days.

Who's doing the engine survey? I would use an authorized shop for the brand of the mains. They can usually also handle the genset, but ask.

BTW, it's something you can do on your own periodically and learn a lot about how your engine is doing.

Thanks No Mast. Great idea and I'll try to do it.

I'd still like to get some recommendations on surveyors in SW Florida that any of you guys used. If nothing new, I'll check with the guys already mentioned here last year.

Steve Berlin was very through and would use again, had to walk after the first one.239-466-4544

I used Steve Berlin once and for us he did a good job. Survey was detailed and informative. Got oil sample results and preliminary survey report the next day. Full survey report in 2 days.

Fort Myers
239-466-4544

Fort Myers
239-461-0366

I used these guys last week, and can confirm. They did a great job.

Anyone used Adrian Volney recently? I'm thinking of using him to survey a Grand Banks 42. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom