Kayak Mounting Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
So, I have 15' kayak and I'm looking at options for mounting it on the upper deck. Dingy crane works really well for launching it. :) Although I have gotten some "that's ridiculous" comments. :ermm: Would like to mount it on the deck next to the inflatable or on the inside of the guard rails. Length makes it really challenging. Not willing to down size as longer is faster and easier to paddle. Trying to avoid making it look to getto. Looking for suggestions or better pics.

MC2.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
I don't think it's ridiculous. Mine is a 2 person Hobie Outfitter, 12'8" and about 100 lbs, not light weight, so the crane is needed.

I've also seen kayaks hung on the outside of the rails which would allow more free space on the deck. But those were with light weight kayaks that could be manhandled easily. I don't think they would work very well with the heavier kayaks like mine though.

Search kayak hangers if that's an option for you.

Attachments

• B0000636.jpg
    B0000636.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 118
Like Nsail says, on the west coast, kayaks mounted on the outside of your rails is standard.

Nice looking boat, BTW.

We mounted ours off the rails using kayak mounts from Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -10055826. They are sturdy and very reasonably priced. Ours hang on the outside of the rails only because on the inside they didn't fit too well. They are 14', I think.

Attachments

• PCH_2014-08-07_18-57_1930.jpg
    PCH_2014-08-07_18-57_1930.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 165
This is my very first post to any forum period, I figure my kids can do it so can I. Here's a snap of a Malone Kayak mount on the upper deck no rail on that side. I recently purchased Kokomo and the kayak itself was not part of the purchase. So I have the mount and no Kayak yet but plan on getting one.image.jpg

Look in the kayak stores. Lots and lots of cartop mounting gear and options. The "J" type rack mounts come to mind. We like our kayaks but getting in and out of them from our boat w/o a swim step looks very iffy at our age. I have thoughts of trying one of our canoes though. Our dinghy would then be over half as long as Willy. But I love small boats.

We mounted ours off the rails using kayak mounts from Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -10055826. They are sturdy and very reasonably priced. Ours hang on the outside of the rails only because on the inside they didn't fit too well. They are 14', I think.

Ok, that looks like a good possibility. Looked at loads of mounting options online for car tops etc. Wanted something more boat purpose oriented.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom